Optimizing bounds on security prices in incomplete markets. Does stochastic volatility specification matter?
We extend and generalize some results on bounding security prices under two stochastic volatility models that provide closed-form expressions for option prices. In detail, we compute analytical expressions for benchmark and standard good-deal bounds. For both models, our findings show that our benchmark results generate much tighter bounds. A deep analysis of the properties of option prices and bounds involving a sensitivity analysis and analytical derivation of Greeks for both option prices and bounds is also presented. These results provide strong practical applications taking into account the relevance of pricing and hedging strategies for traders, financial institutions, and risk managers.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 225 (2013)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/eor|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stein, Elias M & Stein, Jeremy C, 1991. "Stock Price Distributions with Stochastic Volatility: An Analytic Approach," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 4(4), pages 727-752.
- John C. Cox & Jonathan E. Ingersoll Jr. & Stephen A. Ross, 2005.
"A Theory Of The Term Structure Of Interest Rates,"
World Scientific Book Chapters,
in: Theory Of Valuation, chapter 5, pages 129-164
World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd..
- Cox, John C & Ingersoll, Jonathan E, Jr & Ross, Stephen A, 1985. "A Theory of the Term Structure of Interest Rates," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(2), pages 385-407, March.
- Hansen, Lars Peter & Jagannathan, Ravi, 1991. "Implications of Security Market Data for Models of Dynamic Economies," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 99(2), pages 225-262, April.
- Lars Peter Hansen & Ravi Jagannathan, 1990. "Implications of security market data for models of dynamic economies," Discussion Paper / Institute for Empirical Macroeconomics 29, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Lars Peter Hansen & Ravi Jagannathan, 1990. "Implications of Security Market Data for Models of Dynamic Economies," NBER Technical Working Papers 0089, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Heston, Steven L, 1993. "A Closed-Form Solution for Options with Stochastic Volatility with Applications to Bond and Currency Options," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 6(2), pages 327-343.
- PInar, Mustafa Ç. & Salih, AslIhan & CamcI, Ahmet, 2010. "Expected gain-loss pricing and hedging of contingent claims in incomplete markets by linear programming," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 201(3), pages 770-785, March.
- Tomas Björk & Irina Slinko, 2006. "Towards a General Theory of Good-Deal Bounds," Review of Finance, European Finance Association, vol. 10(2), pages 221-260.
- Reynaerts, Huguette & Vanmaele, Michele & Dhaene, Jan & Deelstra, Griselda, 2006. "Bounds for the price of a European-style Asian option in a binary tree model," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 168(2), pages 322-332, January.
- Jizba, Petr & Kleinert, Hagen & Haener, Patrick, 2009. "Perturbation expansion for option pricing with stochastic volatility," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 388(17), pages 3503-3520.
- Zuluaga, Luis F. & Peña, Javier & Du, Donglei, 2009. "Third-order extensions of Lo's semiparametric bound for European call options," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 198(2), pages 557-570, October.
- Oleg Bondarenko & Iñaki Longarela, 2009. "A general framework for the derivation of asset price bounds: an application to stochastic volatility option models," Review of Derivatives Research, Springer, vol. 12(2), pages 81-107, July.
- Albanese, Claudio & Tompaidis, Stathis, 2008. "Small transaction cost asymptotics and dynamic hedging," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 185(3), pages 1404-1414, March.
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 637-654, May-June.
- Lamoureux, Christopher G & Lastrapes, William D, 1993. "Forecasting Stock-Return Variance: Toward an Understanding of Stochastic Implied Volatilities," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 6(2), pages 293-326.
- Basso, A. & Pianca, P., 2001. "Option pricing bounds with standard risk aversion preferences," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 134(2), pages 249-260, October.
- Günter Franke & James Huang & Richard Stapleton, 2007. "Two-Dimensional Risk-Neutral Valuation Relationships for the Pricing of Options," CoFE Discussion Paper 07-08, Center of Finance and Econometrics, University of Konstanz.
- Nowak, Piotr & Romaniuk, Maciej, 2010. "Computing option price for Levy process with fuzzy parameters," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 201(1), pages 206-210, February.
- Cox, John C. & Ross, Stephen A. & Rubinstein, Mark, 1979. "Option pricing: A simplified approach," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(3), pages 229-263, September. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)