The Impacts of Animal Disease Crises on the Korean Meat Market
Employing the error correction method and historical decomposition with direct acyclic graphs, we quantify the impacts of domestic and oversea animal disease crises on the Korean meat markets. We find that (a) the market partially recovered 16 months after the foot-and-mouth outbreak in 2000, and 13 months after the avian influenza and the U.S. BSE incidents in 2003; (b) animal disease outbreaks have differentiate impacts by disease type and supply chain level. Retailers likely to have windfall profits as the retail price margin increased relative to the farm and wholesale levels; and (c) disease outbreaks affect dynamic price interdependence.
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.orgEmail:
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lusk, Jayson L. & Schroeder, Ted C., 2000.
"Effects Of Meat Recalls On Futures Market Prices,"
2000 Conference, April 17-18 2000, Chicago, Illinois
18925, NCR-134 Conference on Applied Commodity Price Analysis, Forecasting, and Market Risk Management.
- Ralf Brüggemann & Helmut Lütkepohl, 2005.
"Practical Problems with Reduced-rank ML Estimators for Cointegration Parameters and a Simple Alternative,"
Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics,
Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 67(5), pages 673-690, October.
- Ralf BRUEGGEMANN & Helmut LUETKEPOHL, 2004. "Practical Problems with Reduced Rank ML Estimators for Cointegration Parameters and a Simple Alternative," Economics Working Papers ECO2004/20, European University Institute.
- Schlenker, Wolfram & Villas-Boas, Sofia B, 2008.
"Consumer and market responses to mad-cow disease,"
CUDARE Working Paper Series
1023, University of California at Berkeley, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics and Policy.
- Schlenker, Wolfram & Villas-Boas, Sofia B, 2008. "Consumer and Market Responses to Mad-Cow Disease," Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series qt7995j7cm, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley.
- John Leeming & Paul Turner, 2004.
"The BSE crisis and the price of red meat in the UK,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(16), pages 1825-1829.
- John Leeming & Paul Turner, 2003. "The BSE Crisis and the Price of Red Meat in the UK," Working Papers 2003002, The University of Sheffield, Department of Economics, revised Mar 2003.
- Sayed H. Saghaian & Leigh J. Maynard & Michael R. Reed, 2007.
"The effects of E. coli 0157:H7, FMD and BSE on Japanese retail beef prices: A historical decomposition,"
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 23(1), pages 131-147.
- Saghaian, Sayed H. & Maynard, Leigh J. & Reed, Michael R., 2006. "The Effects of E. Coli 0157:H7, FMD and BSE on Japanese Retail Beef Prices: A Historical Decomposition," 2006 Annual Meeting, August 12-18, 2006, Queensland, Australia 25580, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Geweke, John & Meese, Richard, 1981.
"Estimating regression models of finite but unknown order,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 162-162, May.
- Geweke, John F & Meese, Richard, 1981. "Estimating Regression Models of Finite but Unknown Order," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 22(1), pages 55-70, February.
- Nicholas E. Piggott & Thomas L. Marsh, 2004. "Does Food Safety Information Impact U.S. Meat Demand?," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 86(1), pages 154-174.
- McCluskey, Jill J. & Grimsrud, Kristine M. & Ouchi, Hiromi & Wahl, Thomas I., 2005.
"Bovine spongiform encephalopathy in Japan: consumers’ food safety perceptions and willingness to pay for tested beef,"
Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics,
Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 49(2), June.
- Jill J. McCluskey & Kristine M. Grimsrud & Hiromi Ouchi & Thomas I. Wahl, 2005. "Bovine spongiform encephalopathy in Japan: consumers' food safety perceptions and willingness to pay for tested beef ," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 49(2), pages 197-209, 06.
- Spencer Henson & Mario Mazzocchi, 2002. "Impact of Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy on Agribusiness in the United Kingdom: Results of an Event Study of Equity Prices," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 84(2), pages 370-386.
- Kevin Hoover & Selva Demiralp, 2003.
"Searching for the Causal Structure of a Vector Autoregression,"
33, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics.
- Selva Demiralp & Kevin D. Hoover, 2003. "Searching for the Causal Structure of a Vector Autoregression," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 65(s1), pages 745-767, December.
- Badi H. Baltagi & Zijun Wang, 2006.
"Testing for Cointegrating Rank via Model Selection: Evidence from 165 Data Sets,"
Center for Policy Research Working Papers
83, Center for Policy Research, Maxwell School, Syracuse University.
- Badi Baltagi & Zijun Wang, 2007. "Testing for Cointegrating Rank Via Model Selection: Evidence From 165 Data Sets," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 33(1), pages 41-49, July.
- T. A. Lloyd & S. McCorriston & C. W. Morgan & A. J. Rayner, 2006. "Food scares, market power and price transmission: the UK BSE crisis," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 33(2), pages 119-147, June.
- Hyun J. Jin & Won W. Koo, 2003. "The effect of the BSE outbreak in Japan on consumers' preferences," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 30(2), pages 173-192, June.
- Pritchett, James G. & Thilmany, Dawn D. & Johnson, Kamina K., 2005. "Animal Disease Economic Impacts: A Survey of Literature and Typology of Research Approaches," International Food and Agribusiness Management Review, International Food and Agribusiness Management Association (IAMA), vol. 8(01).
- Hikaru Hanawa Peterson & Yun-Ju (Kelly) Chen, 2005. "The impact of BSE on Japanese retail meat demand," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 21(3), pages 313-327.
- Zijun Wang & Victoria Salin & Neal Hooker & David Leatham, 2002. "Stock market reaction to food recalls: a GARCH application," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(15), pages 979-987.
- Swanson, N.R. & Granger, C.W.J., 1994. "Impulse Response Functions Based on Causal Approach to Residual Orthogonalization in Vector Autoregressions," Papers 9-94-1, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- Lutz Kilian, 2008. "A Comparison of the Effects of Exogenous Oil Supply Shocks on Output and Inflation in the G7 Countries," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 6(1), pages 78-121, 03.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aaea08:6365. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.