The Impacts of Foot and Mouth Disease Outbreaks on the Brazilian Meat Market
This study uses unrestricted vector autoregression method and historical decomposition with directed acyclic graphs to quantity the impacts of the foot and mouth disease outbreak on the Brazilian meat market for different levels of the industry (export, wholesale and farm). The imposition of an import ban by Russia on Brazilian meat exports is also analyzed. Results show that beef, pork, and chicken export prices all decreased after the FMD outbreak. More importantly, our findings indicate that all prices ended up recovering after the removal of the import ban by Russia in December 2007. As for the price margins in both beef and pork meat supply chains, the export-to-farm and export-to-wholesale margins were found to be very close to each other. On the other hand, the chicken price margin at the export level relative to the farm and wholesale levels had opposing directions trend movements. Finally, the historical decomposition of analysis of the export beef price revealed that the removal of the Russian ban on Brazilian meat imports had a very drastic positive influence on the beef industry supply chain in general.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202|
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dickey, David A & Fuller, Wayne A, 1981. "Likelihood Ratio Statistics for Autoregressive Time Series with a Unit Root," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(4), pages 1057-72, June.
- Karl M. Rich & Alex Winter-Nelson, 2007. "An Integrated Epidemiological-Economic Analysis of Foot and Mouth Disease: Applications to the Southern Cone of South America," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 89(3), pages 682-697.
- Witsanu Attavanich & Bruce A. McCarl & David Bessler, 2011.
"The Effect of H1N1 (Swine Flu) Media Coverage on Agricultural Commodity Markets,"
Applied Economic Perspectives and Policy,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 33(2), pages 241-259.
- Witsanu Attavanich & Bruce A. McCarl & David Bessler, 2011. "The Effect of H1N1 (Swine Flu) Media Coverage on Agricultural Commodity Markets," Applied Economic Perspectives and Policy, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 33(2), pages 241-259.
- Peter Tozer & Thomas L. Marsh, 2012.
"Domestic and trade impacts of foot-and-mouth disease on the Australian beef industry,"
Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics,
Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 56(3), pages 385-404, 07.
- Tozer, Peter & Marsh, Thomas, 2012. "Domestic and trade impacts of foot-and-mouth disease on the Australian beef industry," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 56(3), September.
- Ana I. Sanjuán & P. J. Dawson, 2003. "Price transmission, BSE and structural breaks in the UK meat sector," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 30(2), pages 155-172, June.
- Wang, Zijun & Bessler, David A., 2005. "A Monte Carlo Study On The Selection Of Cointegrating Rank Using Information Criteria," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 21(03), pages 593-620, June.
- Nicholas E. Piggott & Thomas L. Marsh, 2004. "Does Food Safety Information Impact U.S. Meat Demand?," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 86(1), pages 154-174.
- Chao, John C. & Phillips, Peter C. B., 1999.
"Model selection in partially nonstationary vector autoregressive processes with reduced rank structure,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 91(2), pages 227-271, August.
- John C. Chao & Peter C.B. Phillips, 1997. "Model Selection in Partially Nonstationary Vector Autoregressive Processes with Reduced Rank Structure," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1155, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- Ralf BRUEGGEMANN & Helmut LUETKEPOHL, 2004.
"Practical Problems with Reduced Rank ML Estimators for Cointegration Parameters and a Simple Alternative,"
Economics Working Papers
ECO2004/20, European University Institute.
- Ralf Brüggemann & Helmut Lütkepohl, 2005. "Practical Problems with Reduced-rank ML Estimators for Cointegration Parameters and a Simple Alternative," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 67(5), pages 673-690, October.
- T. A. Lloyd & S. McCorriston & C. W. Morgan & A. J. Rayner, 2006. "Food scares, market power and price transmission: the UK BSE crisis," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 33(2), pages 119-147, June.
- Moonsoo Park & Yanhong H. Jin & David A. Bessler, 2008.
"The impacts of animal disease crises on the Korean meat market,"
International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 39(2), pages 183-195, 09.
- Park, Moon-Soo & Jin, Yanhong H. & Bessler, David A., 2008. "The Impacts of Animal Disease Crises on the Korean Meat Market," 2008 Annual Meeting, July 27-29, 2008, Orlando, Florida 6365, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Peterson, E. Wesley F. & Paggi, Mechel S. & Henry, Guy, 1988. "Quality Restrictions As Barriers To Trade: The Case Of European Community Regulations On The Use Of Hormones," Western Journal of Agricultural Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 13(01), July.
- Paarlberg, Philip L. & Hillberg, Ann & Lee, John G. & Mathews, Kenneth H., Jr., 2008. "Economic Impacts of Foreign Animal Disease," Economic Research Report 56453, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aaea11:103811. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.