Vegetable oil market and biofuel policy: An asymmetric cointegration approach
The present paper analyses the long-run relationship between vegetable oil prices and conventional diesel prices in the EU for the period 2005-2007. We applied recent developments in the threshold cointegration approach to investigate the presence of asymmetric dynamic adjusting processes between the prices of rapeseed oil, sunflower oil, and soybean oil, and the price of a mineral oil: diesel. The results presented suggest a two-regime threshold cointegration model only for the rapeseed oil-diesel price pair. Thus, the rapeseed oil price adjusts rapidly to its long-run equilibrium, determined by fossil diesel prices, but this adjustment is asymmetric: it differs if the divergence between the two prices is above or below a critical threshold. Consequently, rapeseed oil appears particularly exposed to external shocks deriving from global political scenarios, suggesting the reassessment of the high quota (80%) of EU biodiesel represented by this vegetable oil.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Goetz, Linde & von Cramon-Taubadel, Stephan, 2008. "Considering threshold effects in the long-run equilibrium in a vector error correction model: An application to the German apple market," 2008 International Congress, August 26-29, 2008, Ghent, Belgium 44247, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Gonzalo, J. & Pitarakis, J., 2005.
"Threshold effects in cointegrating relationships,"
Discussion Paper Series In Economics And Econometrics
0506, Economics Division, School of Social Sciences, University of Southampton.
- Barry K. Goodwin & Nicholas E. Piggott, 2001.
"Spatial Market Integration in the Presence of Threshold Effects,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(2), pages 302-317.
- Goodwin, Barry K. & Piggott, Nicholas E., 1999. "Spatial Market Integration In The Presence Of Threshold Effects," 1999 Annual meeting, August 8-11, Nashville, TN 21489, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- James G. MacKinnon & Alfred A. Haug & Leo Michelis, 1996.
"Numerical Distribution Functions of Likelihood Ratio Tests for Cointegration,"
1996_07, York University, Department of Economics.
- MacKinnon, James G & Haug, Alfred A & Michelis, Leo, 1999. "Numerical Distribution Functions of Likelihood Ratio Tests for Cointegration," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(5), pages 563-77, Sept.-Oct.
- Mackinnon, J.G. & Haug, A.A. & Michelis, L., 1996. "Numerical Distribution Functions of Likelihood Ratio Tests for Cointegration," G.R.E.Q.A.M. 96a09, Universite Aix-Marseille III.
- Seo, Myunghwan, 2006. "Bootstrap testing for the null of no cointegration in a threshold vector error correction model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 134(1), pages 129-150, September.
- Frank Asche & Helge Bremnes & Cathy R. Wessells, 1999.
"Product Aggregation, Market Integration, and Relationships between Prices: An Application to World Salmon Markets,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 81(3), pages 568-581.
- Asche, F. & Bremnes, H. & Wessells, C.R., 1998. "Product Aggregation, Market Integration and Relationships Between Prices: an Application to World Salmon Markets," Papers 27/98, Norwegian School of Economics and Business Administration-.
- Kling, Catherine L. & Sexton, Richard & Carman, Hoy, 1991. "Market Integration, Efficiency of Arbitrage, and Imperfect Competition: Methodology and Application to U.S. Celery," Staff General Research Papers 1609, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Badi H. Baltagi & Zijun Wang, 2006.
"Testing for Cointegrating Rank via Model Selection: Evidence from 165 Data Sets,"
Center for Policy Research Working Papers
83, Center for Policy Research, Maxwell School, Syracuse University.
- Badi Baltagi & Zijun Wang, 2007. "Testing for Cointegrating Rank Via Model Selection: Evidence From 165 Data Sets," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 33(1), pages 41-49, July.
- In, Francis & Inder, Brett, 1997. "Long‐run Relationships Between World Vegetable Oil Prices," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 41(4), December.
- Johansen, Soren, 1992.
"Testing weak exogeneity and the order of cointegration in UK money demand data,"
Journal of Policy Modeling,
Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 313-334, June.
- Johansen, S., 1991. "Testing Weak Exogeneity and the Order of Cointegration in UK Money Demand Data," Papers 78, Helsinki - Department of Economics.
- Johansen, Soren, 1995. "Likelihood-Based Inference in Cointegrated Vector Autoregressive Models," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198774501.
- Yu, Tun-Hsiang (Edward) & Bessler, David A. & Fuller, Stephen W., 2006. "Cointegration and Causality Analysis of World Vegetable Oil and Crude Oil Prices," 2006 Annual meeting, July 23-26, Long Beach, CA 21439, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Hamilton, James D, 1989. "A New Approach to the Economic Analysis of Nonstationary Time Series and the Business Cycle," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(2), pages 357-84, March.
- Campiche, Jody L. & Bryant, Henry L. & Richardson, James W. & Outlaw, Joe L., 2007. "Examining the Evolving Correspondence Between Petroleum Prices and Agricultural Commodity Prices," 2007 Annual Meeting, July 29-August 1, 2007, Portland, Oregon TN 9881, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Hansen, Bruce E. & Seo, Byeongseon, 2002.
"Testing for two-regime threshold cointegration in vector error-correction models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 110(2), pages 293-318, October.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate Hansen/Seo paper on threshold cointegration," Statistical Software Components RTZ00092, Boston College Department of Economics.
- A. D. Owen & K. Chowdhury & J. R. R. Garrido, 1997. "Price interrelationships in the vegetable and tropical oils market," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 29(1), pages 119-124.
- Aznar, Antonio & Salvador, Manuel, 2002. "Selecting The Rank Of The Cointegration Space And The Form Of The Intercept Using An Information Criterion," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 18(04), pages 926-947, August.
- Tun-Hsiang (Edward) Yu & David A. Bessler & Stephen W. Fuller, 2007. "Price Dynamics in U.S. Grain and Freight Markets," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 55(3), pages 381-397, 09.
- Wang, Zijun & Bessler, David A., 2005. "A Monte Carlo Study On The Selection Of Cointegrating Rank Using Information Criteria," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 21(03), pages 593-620, June.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- G. P. Zanias, 1993. "Testing For Integration In European Community Agricultural Product Markets," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(3), pages 418-427.
- Jochen Meyer & Stephan Cramon-Taubadel, 2004.
"Asymmetric Price Transmission: A Survey,"
Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 55(3), pages 581-611.
- Meyer, Jochen & von Cramon-Taubadel, Stephan, 2002. "Asymmetric Price Transmission: A Survey," 2002 International Congress, August 28-31, 2002, Zaragoza, Spain 24822, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Giliola Frey & Matteo Manera, 2007.
"Econometric Models Of Asymmetric Price Transmission,"
Journal of Economic Surveys,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 21(2), pages 349-415, 04.
- Matteo Manera & Giliola Frey, 2005. "Econometric Models of Asymmetric Price Transmission," Working Papers 2005.100, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Kelvin Balcombe & George Rapsomanikis, 2008. "Bayesian Estimation and Selection of Nonlinear Vector Error Correction Models: The Case of the Sugar-Ethanol-Oil Nexus in Brazil," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 90(3), pages 658-668.
- Rajagopal, Deepak & Zilberman, David, 2007. "Review of environmental, economic and policy aspects of biofuels," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4341, The World Bank.
- Phillips, Peter C. B. & McFarland, James W., 1997.
"Forward exchange market unbiasedness: the case of the Australian dollar since 1984,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 16(6), pages 885-907, December.
- Peter C.B. Phillips & James W. McFarland, 1993. "Forward Exchange Market Unbiasedness: The Case of the Australian Dollar Since 1984," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1055, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised 1996.
- Nathan S. Balke & Thomas B. Fomby, 1992.
9209, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Hansen, Bruce E, 1996.
"Inference When a Nuisance Parameter Is Not Identified under the Null Hypothesis,"
Econometric Society, vol. 64(2), pages 413-30, March.
- Hansen, B.E., 1991. "Inference when a Nuisance Parameter is Not Identified Under the Null Hypothesis," RCER Working Papers 296, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate Hansen's threshold estimation and testing results," Statistical Software Components RTZ00091, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Tom Doan, . "TAR: RATS procedure to estimate a threshold autoregression, tests for threshold effect," Statistical Software Components RTS00209, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Hu, Jin-Li & Lin, Cheng-Hsun, 2008. "Disaggregated energy consumption and GDP in Taiwan: A threshold co-integration analysis," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(5), pages 2342-2358, September.
- Lo, Ming Chien & Zivot, Eric, 2001. "Threshold Cointegration And Nonlinear Adjustment To The Law Of One Price," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 5(04), pages 533-576, September.
- Huimin Chung & Tsung-Wu Ho & Ling-Ju Wei, 2005. "The dynamic relationship between the prices of ADRs and their underlying stocks: evidence from the threshold vector error correction model," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(20), pages 2387-2394.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:eneeco:v:32:y:2010:i:3:p:687-693. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.