Examining the Evolving Correspondence Between Petroleum Prices and Agricultural Commodity Prices
Over the last few years, the production of renewable fuels has increased dramatically. Rising oil prices, limited supplies of fossil fuel, and increased concerns about global warming have created a growing demand for renewable energy sources. Both the ethanol and biodiesel industries have experienced tremendous growth in the past few years. The production of these fuels is highly dependent on the availability of agricultural feedstocks. This research examined the covariability between crude oil prices and corn, sorghum, sugar, soybeans, soybean oil, and palm oil prices during the 2003-2007 time period. Johansen cointegration tests revealed no cointegrating relationships during the 2003-2005 time frame. However, corn prices and soybean prices were cointegrated with crude oil prices during the 2006-2007 time period.
|Date of creation:||2007|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202|
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- A. D. Owen & K. Chowdhury & J. R. R. Garrido, 1997. "Price interrelationships in the vegetable and tropical oils market," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 29(1), pages 119-124.
- Johansen, Soren, 1991. "Estimation and Hypothesis Testing of Cointegration Vectors in Gaussian Vector Autoregressive Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(6), pages 1551-1580, November.
- G. R. Griffith & Karl D. Meilke, 1979. "Relationships among North American Fats and Oils Prices," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 61(2), pages 335-341.
- Yu, Tun-Hsiang (Edward) & Bessler, David A. & Fuller, Stephen W., 2006. "Cointegration and Causality Analysis of World Vegetable Oil and Crude Oil Prices," 2006 Annual meeting, July 23-26, Long Beach, CA 21439, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Dickey, David A & Fuller, Wayne A, 1981. "Likelihood Ratio Statistics for Autoregressive Time Series with a Unit Root," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(4), pages 1057-1072, June.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- P. J. Dawson & B. White, 2002. "Interdependencies between agricultural commodity futures prices on the LIFFE," Journal of Futures Markets, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(3), pages 269-280, 03.
- Engle, Robert & Granger, Clive, 2015.
"Co-integration and error correction: Representation, estimation, and testing,"
Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 39(3), pages 106-135.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-276, March.
- In, Francis & Inder, Brett, 1997. "Long‐run Relationships Between World Vegetable Oil Prices," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 41(4), December.
- Ploberger, Werner & Kramer, Walter & Kontrus, Karl, 1989. "A new test for structural stability in the linear regression model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 40(2), pages 307-318, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aaea07:9881. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.