Animal Disease Economic Impacts: A Survey of Literature and Typology of Research Approaches
Animal diseases such as bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE) are a threat to the animal product marketing sector and the broader economy. Policy makers and industry stakeholders seek a means of assessing a disease threat's economic impacts when evaluating prevention and mitigation measures. But, differences in the focus of the impact analysis (production level, market prices, welfare), level of analysis (geographically, marketing phase) and proposed policy alternatives all influence the analytical approach. This paper surveys previous research, focusing on methodological approaches and results. Drawing from past research and future economic data needs, a typology is developed to guide researchers when defining the scope and policy alternatives of various research approaches.
Volume (Year): 08 (2005)
Issue (Month): 01 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1010 Vermont Avenue, Suite 201, Washington, DC 20005, USA|
Phone: 1 (202) 429-1610
Web page: http://www.ifama.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Edward L. Glaeser & Glenn Ellison, 1999.
"The Geographic Concentration of Industry: Does Natural Advantage Explain Agglomeration?,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 89(2), pages 311-316, May.
- Glenn Ellison & Edward L. Glaeser, 1999. "The Geographic Concentration of Industry: Does Natural Advantage Explain Agglomeration?," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1862, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Chanjin Chung & Brian L. Buhr, 1997. "Market level economic impacts of modified soybeans," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(5), pages 469-482.
- Peterson, Hikaru Hanawa & Chen, Yun-Ju (Kelly), 2003. "The Impact Of Bse On Japanese Retail Beef Market," 2003 Annual Meeting, February 1-5, 2003, Mobile, Alabama 35233, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Catherine J. Morrison Paul, 2001. "Market and Cost Structure in the U.S. Beef Packing Industry: A Plant-Level Analysis," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(1), pages 64-76.
- Hughes, David W., 2003. "Policy Uses of Economic Multiplier and Impact Analysis," Choices, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 18(2), pages -.
- Kuchler, Fred & Hamm, Shannon, 2000. "Animal disease incidence and indemnity eradication programs," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 22(3), pages 299-308, April.
- Nott, Sherrill B. & Wolf, Christopher A., 2000. "Dairy Farm Decisions On How To Proceed In The Face Of Tb," Staff Papers 11654, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Buhr, Brian L., 1993. "A Quarterly Econometric Simulation Model Of The U.S. Livestock And Meat Sector," Staff Papers 13465, University of Minnesota, Department of Applied Economics.
- Schroeder, Ted C. & Lusk, Jayson L., 2002.
"Effects of Meat Recalls on Futures Market Prices,"
Agricultural and Resource Economics Review,
Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 31(1), April.
- Lusk, Jayson L. & Schroeder, Ted C., 2000. "Effects Of Meat Recalls On Futures Market Prices," 2000 Conference, April 17-18 2000, Chicago, Illinois 18925, NCR-134 Conference on Applied Commodity Price Analysis, Forecasting, and Market Risk Management.
- Brian L. Buhr & Hanho Kim, 1997. "Dynamic Adjustment in Vertically Linked Markets: The Case of the U.S. Beef Industry," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(1), pages 126-138.
- Evans, Edward A., 2003. "Economic Dimensions of Invasive Species," Choices, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 18(2), pages -.
- Le Roy, Danny G. & Klein, Kurt K., 2003. "Apocalypse Cow: The Effect Of Bse On Canada'S Beef Industry," Western Economics Forum, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 2(02), December.
- Spencer Henson & Mario Mazzocchi, 2002. "Impact of Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy on Agribusiness in the United Kingdom: Results of an Event Study of Equity Prices," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 84(2), pages 370-386.
- Verbeke, Wim & Ward, Ronald W., 2001.
"A fresh meat almost ideal demand system incorporating negative TV press and advertising impact,"
Blackwell, vol. 25(2-3), pages 359-374, September.
- Verbeke, Wim & Ward, Ronald W., 2001. "A fresh meat almost ideal demand system incorporating negative TV press and advertising impact," Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 25(2-3), pages -, September.
- M.-J.J. Mangen & A.M. Burrell, 2001. "Decomposing Preference Shifts for Meat and Fish in the Netherlands," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 52(2), pages 16-28.
- Jérôme Adda, 2007. "Behavior towards health risks: An empirical study using the “Mad Cow” crisis as an experiment," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 35(3), pages 285-305, December.
- Johnson, Mark S. & Mittelhammer, Ronald C. & Blayney, Donald P., 1994. "Stock Price Reaction to Regulation in the Meat Packing Industry," Journal of Agricultural Economics Research, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service, issue 3.
- Loureiro, Maria L. & Umberger, Wendy J., 2003. "Estimating Consumer Willingness to Pay for Country-of-Origin Labeling," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 28(02), August.
- Dermot J. Hayes & Helen H. Jensen & Lennart Backstrom, 1999. "Economic Impact of a Ban on the Use of Over-the-Counter Antibiotics," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 99-sr90, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Kuchler, Fred & Hamm, Shannon, 2000. "Animal disease incidence and indemnity eradication programs," Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 22(3), pages -, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:ifaamr:8177. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.