Scale Economies and Consolidation in Hog Slaughter
We use establishment based panel data to estimate a cost function which identifies the role of scale economies in hog slaughter consolidation. We find modest but extensive technological scale economies in the 1990s, and they became more important over time. But wages rose sharply with plant size through the 1970s, and those wage premiums generated a pecuniary scale diseconomy that largely offset the effects of technological scale economies. The size-wage relation disappeared in the 1980s; with growing technological scale economies and disappearing pecuniary diseconomies, large plants realized growing cost advantages over smaller plants, and production shifted to larger plants. Copyright 2000, Oxford University Press.
Volume (Year): 82 (2000)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202|
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Marvin L. Hayenga, 1998. "Cost Structures of Pork Slaughter and Processing Firms: Behavioral and Performance Implications," Review of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 20(2), pages 574-583.
- Gallant, A. Ronald & Jorgenson, Dale W., 1979. "Statistical inference for a system of simultaneous, non-linear, implicit equations in the context of instrumental variable estimation," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 11(2-3), pages 275-302.
- Bryan E. Melton & Wallace E. Huffman, 1995.
"Beef and Pork Packing Costs and Input Demands: Effects of Unionization and Technology,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 77(3), pages 471-485.
- Melton, Brian & Huffman, Wallace, 1995. "Beef and Pork Packing Costs and Input Demands: Effects of Unionization and Technology," Staff General Research Papers Archive 5043, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Hayenga, Marvin L., 1998. "Cost Structures of Pork Slaughter and Processing Firms: Behavioral and Performance Implications," Staff General Research Papers Archive 1254, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Allen, W Bruce & Liu, Dong, 1995. "Service Quality and Motor Carrier Costs: An Empirical Analysis," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 77(3), pages 499-510, August.
- Stevenson, Rodney, 1980. "Measuring Technological Bias," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(1), pages 162-173, March. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:oup:ajagec:v:82:y:2000:i:2:p:334-346. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.