Scale Economies and Consolidation in Hog Slaughter
We use establishment based panel data to estimate a cost function which identifies the role of scale economies in hog slaughter consolidation. We find modest by extensive technological scale economies in the 1990s, and they became more important over time. But wages rose sharply with plant size through the 1970s and those wage premiums generated a pecuniary scale diseconomy that largely offset the effects of technological scale economies. The size-wage relation disappeared in the 1980; with growing technological scale economies and disappearing pecuniary diseconomies, large plants realized growing cost advantages over smaller plants, and production shifted to larger plants.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2000|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 4600 Silver Hill Road, Washington, DC 20233|
Phone: (301) 763-6460
Fax: (301) 763-5935
Web page: http://www.census.gov/ces
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stevenson, Rodney, 1980. "Measuring Technological Bias," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(1), pages 162-173, March.
- Melton, Brian & Huffman, Wallace, 1995.
"Beef and Pork Packing Costs and Input Demands: Effects of Unionization and Technology,"
Staff General Research Papers Archive
5043, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Bryan E. Melton & Wallace E. Huffman, 1995. "Beef and Pork Packing Costs and Input Demands: Effects of Unionization and Technology," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 77(3), pages 471-485.
- Gallant, A. Ronald & Jorgenson, Dale W., 1979. "Statistical inference for a system of simultaneous, non-linear, implicit equations in the context of instrumental variable estimation," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 11(2-3), pages 275-302.
- Allen, W Bruce & Liu, Dong, 1995. "Service Quality and Motor Carrier Costs: An Empirical Analysis," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 77(3), pages 499-510, August.
- Marvin L. Hayenga, 1998. "Cost Structures of Pork Slaughter and Processing Firms: Behavioral and Performance Implications," Review of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 20(2), pages 574-583.
- Hayenga, Marvin L., 1998. "Cost Structures of Pork Slaughter and Processing Firms: Behavioral and Performance Implications," Staff General Research Papers Archive 1254, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cen:wpaper:00-03. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Fariha Kamal)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.