The Effects Of U.S. Meat Packing And Livestock Production Technologies On Marketing Margins And Prices
Real livestock prices and farm-wholesale marketing margins have steadily declined over the past 20 years. Studies examining the causes of these declines have generally failed to account directly for technological change in livestock production and red meat slaughtering. We estimate reduced-form models for beef and pork farm-wholesale marketing margins and cattle and hog prices that include specific measures of technological change. Empirical results indicate cost savings generated by improved meat packing technologies have reduced real margins and positively influenced real cattle and hog prices. However, technological change embodied in cattle production weights has led to substantial declines in real slaughter cattle prices. Nonetheless, the net effect of improved meat packing technology has been to increase cattle price by $1.75/cwt and reduce the farm-wholesale beef marketing margin by 22.8 cents/lb.
Volume (Year): 26 (2001)
Issue (Month): 02 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://waeaonline.org/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rosen, Sherwin & Murphy, Kevin M & Scheinkman, Jose A, 1994.
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 102(3), pages 468-92, June.
- Sherwin Rosen & Kevin M. Murphy & Jose A. Scheinkman, 1993. "Cattle Cycles," NBER Working Papers 4403, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rosen, S. & Murphy, K.M. & Scheinkman, J.A., 1993. "Cattle Cycles," University of Chicago - Economics Research Center 93-2, Chicago - Economics Research Center.
- DeJong, David N, et al, 1992. "Integration versus Trend Stationarity in Time Series," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 60(2), pages 423-33, March.
- Ted C. Schroeder & Clement E. Ward & James R. Mintert & Derrell S. Peel, 1998.
"Value-Based Pricing of Fed Cattle: Challenges and Research Agenda,"
Review of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 20(1), pages 125-134.
- Schroeder, Ted C. & Ward, Clement E. & Mintert, James R. & Peel, Derrell S., 1997. "Value-Based Pricing of Fed Cattle: Challenges and Research Agenda," 1997 Annual Meeting, July 13-16, 1997, Reno\Sparks, Nevada 35837, Western Agricultural Economics Association.
- James Kliebenstein & Peter F. Orazem, 1999.
"The Structure of Wages and Benefits in the U.S. Pork Industry,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 81(1), pages 144-163.
- Hurley, Terrance M. & Kliebenstein, James & Orazem, Peter, 1999. "The Structure of Wages and Benefits in the U.S. Pork Industry," Staff General Research Papers 1475, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- MacDonald, James M. & Ollinger, Michael & Nelson, Kenneth E. & Handy, Charles R., 2000. "Consolidation In U.S. Meatpacking," Agricultural Economics Reports 34021, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- John M. Antle, 1999. "The New Economics of Agriculture," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 81(5), pages 993-1010.
- Martinez, Stephen W., 1999. "Vertical Coordination in the Pork and Broiler Industries: Implications for Pork and Chicken Products," Agricultural Economics Reports 34031, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Donald W. Anderson & Brian C. Murray & Jackqueline L. Teague & Richard C. Lindrooth, 1998. "Exit from the Meatpacking Industry: A Microdata Analysis," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 80(1), pages 96-106.
- Anderson, John D. & Trapp, James N., 2000. "Corn Price Effects On Cost Of Gain For Feedlot Cattle: Implications For Breakeven Budgeting," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 25(02), December.
- Eales, James S., 1994. "The Inverse Lewbel Demand System," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 19(01), July.
- Purcell, Wayne D., 1989. "The Case of Beef Demand: A Failure by the Discipline," Choices, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 4(2).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:jlaare:31052. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.