The Effect Of Food-Safety Related Information On Consumers' Preference: The Case Of Bse Outbreak In Japan
This study analyzes consumers' responses to food-safety related information by evaluating if Japanese consumers have undergone a structural change in their preferences for meat due to the BSE outbreak in the country. The axiom of revealed preference is utilized to test the stability of preference in Japanese meat consumption. The matrix of weak form of revealed preference (WARP) is partitioned and Kruskal-Wallis statistics are derived to evaluate whether the switches of preference are transitory or due to a structural change. Empirical results show that Japanese meat demand has undergone a structural change, synchronized with the BSE outbreak in Japan in mid-September 2001.
|Date of creation:||2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Choi, Seungmook & Sosin, Kim, 1992. "Structural Change in the Demand for Money," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 24(2), pages 226-38, May.
- Latouche, K. & Rainelli, P. & Vermersch, D., 1998. "Food safety issues and the BSE scare: some lessons from the French case," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 23(5), pages 347-356, October.
- Jérôme Adda, 2007. "Behavior towards health risks: An empirical study using the “Mad Cow” crisis as an experiment," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 35(3), pages 285-305, December.
- Hildenbrand, Werner, 1989. "The Weak Axiom of Revealed Preference for Market Demand Is Strong," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(4), pages 979-85, July.
- Caswell, Julie A., 1998. "How Labeling Of Safety And Process Attributes Affects Markets For Food," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 27(2), October.
- Shone,Ronald, 2002. "Economic Dynamics," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521017039.
- Varian, Hal R, 1983. "Non-Parametric Tests of Consumer Behaviour," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 50(1), pages 99-110, January.
- M. P. Burton & T. Young, 1991. "Non-Parametric Tests For Changes In Consumer Preferences For Meat In Great Britain," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(2), pages 138-145.
- Frechette, Darren L. & Jin, Hyun-Joung, 2002. "Distinguishing transitory nonlinear shocks from permanent structural change," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 231-248, June.
- Verbeke, Wim & Ward, Ronald W., 2001.
"A fresh meat almost ideal demand system incorporating negative TV press and advertising impact,"
Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists,
International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 25(2-3), September.
- Verbeke, Wim & Ward, Ronald W., 2001. "A fresh meat almost ideal demand system incorporating negative TV press and advertising impact," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 25(2-3), pages 359-374, September.
- Foster, William & Just, Richard E., 1989. "Measuring welfare effects of product contamination with consumer uncertainty," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 266-283, November.
- Varian, Hal R, 1982. "The Nonparametric Approach to Demand Analysis," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 945-73, July.
- Deaton, Angus S & Muellbauer, John, 1980. "An Almost Ideal Demand System," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(3), pages 312-26, June.
- Hayes, Dermot J. & Wahl, Thomas I. & Williams, Gary W., 1990. "Testing Restrictions on a Model of Japanese Meat Demand," Staff General Research Papers 10940, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Chalfant, James A & Alston, Julian M, 1988. "Accounting for Changes in Tastes," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(2), pages 391-410, April.
- M.-J.J. Mangen & A.M. Burrell, 2001. "Decomposing Preference Shifts for Meat and Fish in the Netherlands," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 52(2), pages 16-28.
- Caswell, Julie A. & Mojduszka, Eliza M., 1996.
"Using Informational Labeling To Influence The Market For Quality In Food Products,"
25989, Regional Research Project NE-165 Private Strategies, Public Policies, and Food System Performance.
- Julie A. Caswell & Eliza M. Mojduszka, 1996. "Using Informational Labeling to Influence the Market for Quality in Food Products," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 78(5), pages 1248-1253.
- Varian, Hal R., 1985. "Non-parametric analysis of optimizing behavior with measurement error," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1-2), pages 445-458.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aaea03:22043. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.