Can We Take The Con Out Of Meat Demand Studies?
Whimsy in specification choices leads to fragility of inference in econometric studies of structural change in meat demand. The literature contains a variety of results, with many contradictions, attributable largely to differences in specifications. This article reviews that literature, uses synthetic data to demonstrate the sensitivity of results to specification choices and to evaluate the power of nonparametric tests, and uses Canadian data to demonstrate a preferred approach to testing the hypothesis of structural change.
Volume (Year): 16 (1991)
Issue (Month): 01 (July)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://waeaonline.org/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chalfant, James A & Alston, Julian M, 1988. "Accounting for Changes in Tastes," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(2), pages 391-410, April.
- Moschini, GianCarlo & Meilke, Karl D., 1989. "Modeling the Pattern of Structural Change in U.S. Meat Demand," Staff General Research Papers 11266, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Belongia, Michael T & Chalfant, James A, 1989.
"The Changing Empirical Definition of Money: Some Estimates from a Model of the Demand for Money Substitutes,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 97(2), pages 387-97, April.
- Michael T. Belongia & James A. Chalfant, 1986. "The changing empirical definition of money: some estimates from a model of the demand for money substitutes," Working Papers 1986-006, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Chalfant, James A, 1987. "A Globally Flexible, Almost Ideal Demand System," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 5(2), pages 233-42, April.
- LaFrance, Jeffrey T., 1991. "When Is Expenditure "Exogenous" In Separable Demand Models?," Western Journal of Agricultural Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 16(01), July.
- Choi, Seungmook & Sosin, Kim, 1992. "Structural Change in the Demand for Money," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 24(2), pages 226-38, May.
- Murray, Jane, 1984. "Retail Demand for Meat in Australia: A Utility Theory Approach," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 60(168), pages 45-56, March.
- Gallant, A. Ronald, 1981. "On the bias in flexible functional forms and an essentially unbiased form : The fourier flexible form," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 211-245, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:wjagec:32618. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.