Demand for money and shortages in Ethiopia
The paper discusses the long-run monetary conditions in Ethiopia in the last three decades. These decades can be characterized by large political changes, leading to shocks on income and population growth, and two serious periods of drought. Both affected inflation and real demand for M1 through shortages of food. Shortage due to drops in rainfall might have long-run monetary consequences. Despite regime shifts we find support for stability of Ethiopian narrow money demand.
Volume (Year): 11 (2004)
Issue (Month): 12 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEL20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAEL20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dercon, Stefan & Ayalew, Lulseged, 1995.
"Smuggling and supply response: Coffee in Ethiopia,"
Elsevier, vol. 23(10), pages 1795-1813, October.
- Stefan Dercon & Lulseged Ayalew, 1995. "Smuggling and supply response: coffee in Ethiopia," Economics Series Working Papers WPS/1995-05, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Stefan Dercon & Lulseged Ayalew, 1995. "Smuggling and supply response: coffee in Ethiopia," CSAE Working Paper Series 1995-05, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Bennett T. McCallum & Marvin S. Goodfriend, 1986.
"Theoretical analysis of the demand for money,"
86-03, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond.
- Bennett T. McCallum & Marvin S. Goodfriend, 1987. "Money: Theoretical Analysis of the Demand for Money," NBER Working Papers 2157, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Quintos, Carmela E & Phillips, Peter C B, 1993. "Parameter Constancy in Cointegrating Regressions," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 18(4), pages 675-706.
- Gary G. Moser, 1994. "The Main Determinants of Inflation in Nigeria," IMF Working Papers 94/76, International Monetary Fund.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:apeclt:v:11:y:2004:i:12:p:759-769. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.