The Interaction between Mortgage Financing and Housing Prices in Greece
Although the close empirical relationship between the evolution of mortgage lending and housing prices is well established in the literature, the direction of causation is less clear from a theoretical standpoint. We apply multivariate cointegration techniques in order to address this issue empirically for the Greek economy. Our results, based on a cointegration relationship that we identify as a mortgage loan demand equation, indicate that housing prices do not adjust to disequilibria in the market for housing loans. This suggests that in the long run the causation does not run from mortgage lending to housing prices. In the short run we find evidence of a contemporaneous bi-directional dependence.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Panayotis Kapopoulos & Fotios Siokis, 2005. "Stock and real estate prices in Greece: wealth versus 'credit-price' effect," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(2), pages 125-128.
- Calza, Alessandro & Manrique, Marta & Sousa, João, 2003. "Aggregate loans to the euro area private sector," Working Paper Series 0202, European Central Bank.
- Ben S. Bernanke & Alan S. Blinder, 1988.
"Credit, Money, and Aggregate Demand,"
NBER Working Papers
2534, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stephen G. Cecchetti & Anil K Kashyap, 1995.
NBER Working Papers
5310, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ben S. Bernanke & Mark Gertler, 2001. "Should Central Banks Respond to Movements in Asset Prices?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 91(2), pages 253-257, May.
- Johansen, Soren, 1991. "Estimation and Hypothesis Testing of Cointegration Vectors in Gaussian Vector Autoregressive Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(6), pages 1551-80, November.
- James R. Follain, 1990. "Mortgage Choice†," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 18(2), pages 125-144.
- Stefan Gerlach & Wensheng Peng, 2003.
"Bank Lending and Property Prices in Hong Kong,"
122003, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
- Greenslade, Jennifer V. & Hall, Stephen G. & Henry, S. G. Brian, 2002. "On the identification of cointegrated systems in small samples: a modelling strategy with an application to UK wages and prices," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 26(9-10), pages 1517-1537, August.
- Johansen, Soren, 1995. "Likelihood-Based Inference in Cointegrated Vector Autoregressive Models," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198774501, March.
- Bernanke, Ben S. & Gertler, Mark & Gilchrist, Simon, 1999.
"The financial accelerator in a quantitative business cycle framework,"
Handbook of Macroeconomics,
in: J. B. Taylor & M. Woodford (ed.), Handbook of Macroeconomics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 21, pages 1341-1393
- Bernanke, B. & Gertler, M. & Gilchrist, S., 1998. "The Financial Accelerator in a Quantitative Business Cycle Framework," Working Papers 98-03, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Ben Bernanke & Mark Gertler & Simon Gilchrist, 1998. "The Financial Accelerator in a Quantitative Business Cycle Framework," NBER Working Papers 6455, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Davis, E. Philip & Zhu, Haibin, 2011.
"Bank lending and commercial property cycles: Some cross-country evidence,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 1-21, February.
- E. Philip Davis & Haibin Zhu, 2004. "Bank lending and commercial property cycles: some cross-country evidence," BIS Working Papers 150, Bank for International Settlements.
- A. Calza & C. Gartner & J. Sousa, 2003.
"Modelling the demand for loans to the private sector in the euro area,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(1), pages 107-117.
- Calza, Alessandro & Gartner, Christine & Sousa, João, 2001. "Modelling the demand for loans to the private sector in the euro area," Working Paper Series 0055, European Central Bank.
- Frederic S. Mishkin, 2007.
"Housing and the monetary transmission mechanism,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
2007-40, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Frederic S. Mishkin, 2007. "Housing and the monetary transmission mechanism," Proceedings - Economic Policy Symposium - Jackson Hole, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, pages 359-413.
- Urbain, Jean-Pierre, 1992.
"On Weak Exogeneity in Error Correction Models,"
Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics,
Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 54(2), pages 187-207, May.
- Dickey, David A & Fuller, Wayne A, 1981. "Likelihood Ratio Statistics for Autoregressive Time Series with a Unit Root," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(4), pages 1057-72, June.
- Fase, M. M. G., 1995. "The demand for commercial bank loans and the lending rate," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 99-115, January.
- Tor Jacobson & Per Jansson & Anders Vredin & Anders Warne, 2001. "Monetary policy analysis and inflation targeting in a small open economy: a VAR approach," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(4), pages 487-520.
- Richard K. Green & Susan M. Wachter, 2007.
"The housing finance revolution,"
Proceedings - Economic Policy Symposium - Jackson Hole,
Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, pages 21-67.
- Brueckner, Jan K. & Follain, James R., 1989. "ARMs and the demand for housing," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 163-187, May.
- Johansen, Soren, 1992. "Cointegration in partial systems and the efficiency of single-equation analysis," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 52(3), pages 389-402, June.
- Matthew S. Chambers & Carlos Garriga & Don Schlagenhauf, 2007.
"Equilibrium mortgage choice and housing tenure decisions with refinancing,"
2007-25, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Matthew Chambers & Carlos Garriga & Don Schlagenhauf, 2007. "Equilibrium mortgage choice and housing tenure decisions with refinancing," Working Papers 2007-049, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Pesaran, M. H. & Shin, Y. & Smith, R. J., 1997.
"Structural Analysis of Vector Error Correction Models with Exogenous I(1) Variables,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
9706, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Pesaran, M. Hashem & Shin, Yongcheol & Smith, Richard J., 2000. "Structural analysis of vector error correction models with exogenous I(1) variables," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 97(2), pages 293-343, August.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- Mark Doms & John Krainer, 2007. "Innovations in mortgage markets and increased spending on housing," Working Paper Series 2007-05, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Nathalie Girouard & Sveinbjörn Blöndal, 2001. "House Prices and Economic Activity," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 279, OECD Publishing.
- Boris Hofmann, 2001. "The determinants of private sector credit in industrialised countries: do property prices matter?," BIS Working Papers 108, Bank for International Settlements.
- Fitzpatrick, Trevor & McQuinn, Kieran, 2004.
"House Prices and Mortgage Credit: Empirical Evidence for Ireland,"
Research Technical Papers
5/RT/04, Central Bank of Ireland.
- Trevor Fitzpatrick & Kieran Mcquinn, 2007. "House Prices And Mortgage Credit: Empirical Evidence For Ireland," Manchester School, University of Manchester, vol. 75(1), pages 82-103, 01.
- Boris Hofmann, 2004. "The Determinants of Bank Credit in Industrialized Countries: Do Property Prices Matter?," International Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 7(2), pages 203-234, 07.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:jrefec:v:39:y:2009:i:2:p:146-164. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.