Stock and real estate prices in Greece: wealth versus 'credit-price' effect
An attempt is made to clarify the relationship between price fluctuations of two major assets in Greece, real estate and stocks. Two mechanisms have been proposed to interpret this relationship. The first one is well known as 'wealth effect', which claims that households with unanticipated gains in share prices tend to increase the amount of housing. The second one is the credit price effect, which claims that a rise in real estate prices can stimulate economic activity, future profitability of firms and, as a consequence, stock market prices by raising the value of collateral and reducing the cost of borrowing for both firms and households. To test the above transmission, channel tests of Granger causality are employed. Empirical findings are in favour of the wealth effect hypothesis for Athens real estate prices but not for other urban real estate prices. Since real estate at the Athens Metropolitan area could be considered as an investment vehicle, it is reasonable to argue that higher stock prices increase the share of households' portfolios in the stock market and cause a rebalancing of their portfolios by selling stocks and purchasing other assets like houses.
Volume (Year): 12 (2005)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEL20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAEL20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Muellbauer, John & Murphy, Anthony, 1997.
"Booms and Busts in the UK Housing Market,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 107(445), pages 1701-1727, November.
- Muellbauer, J & Murphy, A, 1996. "Booms and Busts in the UK Housing Market," Economics Papers 125, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Muellbauer, John & Murphy, Anthony, 1997. "Booms and Busts in the UK Housing Market," CEPR Discussion Papers 1615, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Fischer, Stanley & Merton, Robert C., 1984. "Macroeconomics and finance: The role of the stock market," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 57-108, January.
- Stanley Fischer & Robert C. Merton, 1984. "Macroeconomics and Finance: The Role of the Stock Market," NBER Working Papers 1291, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.