Shortages, interest rates, and money demand in Poland, 1969-1995
The paper estimates a household money demand function for Poland from 1969 to 1995. Contrary to theoretical belief and earlier empirical evidence portfolio arguments are found to be significant. Despite regime shifts during the 1980s and full liberalization of the Polish economy in the beginning of 1990, cointegration relationships are found between broad real money holdings, real household income, an interest rate on an alternative asset, the inflation rate and shortage of goods. Because Poland knew severe policy shocks and monetary data show a development from a cash to a savings economy, extensive attention is paid to parameter constancy and stability of the cointegration relationships. Tests generally confirm stability of long-run income and interest elasticities. Short-run money demand estimates illustrate expectations of increased income and interest elasticities, as well as an increasingly active adjustment behavior. Some implications of our main findings for monetary stabilization policy are discussed.
|Date of creation:||Feb 1996|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 31 50 363 3749
Fax: 31 50 363 3720
Web page: http://www.rug.nl/research/som-ri/Email:
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Boycko, Maxim, 1992. "When Higher Incomes Reduce Welfare: Queues, Labor Supply, and Macro Equilibrium in Socialist Economies," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 107(3), pages 907-20, August.
- Hare, Paul, 1987. " Supply Multipliers in a Centrally Planned Economy with a Private Sector," Economic Change and Restructuring, Springer, vol. 21(2-3), pages 53-61.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- Portes, Richard & Winter, David, 1978. "The Demand for Money and for Consumption Goods in Centrally Planned Economies," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 60(1), pages 8-18, February.
- Bennett, John, 1991. "Repressed inflation, queuing and the resale of goods in a centrally planned economy," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 49-60, January.
- Hansen, Bruce E, 2002.
"Tests for Parameter Instability in Regressions with I(1) Processes,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 20(1), pages 45-59, January.
- Hansen, Bruce E, 1992. "Tests for Parameter Instability in Regressions with I(1) Processes," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 10(3), pages 321-35, July.
- Guillermo Calvo & Carlos A. VÃ©gh Gramont, 1992.
"Currency Substitution in Developing Countries; An Introduction,"
IMF Working Papers
92/40, International Monetary Fund.
- Calvo, Guillermo & Vegh, Carlos, 1992. "Currency Substitution in Developing Countries: An Introduction," MPRA Paper 20338, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Saving, Thomas R, 1971. "Transactions Costs and the Demand for Money," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 61(3), pages 407-20, June.
- Phillips, P.C.B., 1986.
"Testing for a Unit Root in Time Series Regression,"
Cahiers de recherche
8633, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Carlos A. Rodríguez, 1992.
"Money and Credit Under Currency Substitution,"
CEMA Working Papers: Serie Documentos de Trabajo.
82, Universidad del CEMA.
- Timothy D. Lane, 1992. "Household Demand for Money in Poland: Theory and Evidence," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 39(4), pages 825-854, December.
- Jeroen J.M. Kremers & Neil R. Ericsson & Juan J. Dolado, 1992.
"The power of cointegration tests,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
431, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Bennett, John & Boycko, Maxim, 1995. "Savings and Stabilization Policy in a Pre-Post-Socialist Economy," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 27(3), pages 907-19, August.
- Cochrane, J.H. & Ickes, B.W., 1991.
"Inflation Stabilization in Reforming Socialist Economies : the Myth of the Monetary Overhang,"
8-91-2, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- John H Cochrane & Barry W Ickes, 1991. "Inflation Stabilization in Reforming Socialist Economies: The Myth of the Monetary Overhang," Comparative Economic Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 33(2), pages 97-122, July.
- Andrews, Donald W K, 1991.
"Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimation,"
Econometric Society, vol. 59(3), pages 817-58, May.
- Donald W.K. Andrews, 1988. "Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimation," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 877R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Jul 1989.
- Portes, Richard, 1981. "Macroeconomic Equilibrium and Disequilibrium in Centrally Planned Economies," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 19(4), pages 559-78, October.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521068659 is not listed on IDEAS
- Quintos, Carmela E & Phillips, Peter C B, 1993. "Parameter Constancy in Cointegrating Regressions," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 18(4), pages 675-706.
- Barro, Robert J & Grossman, Herschel I, 1974. "Suppressed Inflation and the Supply Multiplier," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(1), pages 87-104, January.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-76, March.
- Phillips, Peter C B & Hansen, Bruce E, 1990.
"Statistical Inference in Instrumental Variables Regression with I(1) Processes,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 57(1), pages 99-125, January.
- Tom Doan, . "FM: RATS procedure to estimate cointegrating vectors using Fully Modified Least Squares," Statistical Software Components RTS00069, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Portes, Richard, 1986.
"The Theory and Measurement of Macroeconomic Disequilibrium in Centrally Planned Economies,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
91, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Richard Portes, 1986. "The Theory and Measurement of Macroeconomic Disequilibrium in Centrally Planned Economies," NBER Working Papers 1875, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stahl, Dale II & Alexeev, Michael, 1985. "The influence of black markets on a queue-rationed centrally planned economy," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 234-250, August.
- Johansen, Soren, 1992. "Cointegration in partial systems and the efficiency of single-equation analysis," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 52(3), pages 389-402, June.
- Steven B. Kamin & Neil R. Ericsson, 1993. "Dollarization in Argentina," International Finance Discussion Papers 460, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Bennett, John, 1994. "Queuing and the Price Level under Repressed Inflation," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 46(1), pages 68-82, January.
- Bennett T. McCallum & Marvin S. Goodfriend, 1987. "Money: Theoretical Analysis of the Demand for Money," NBER Working Papers 2157, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Podkaminer, Leon, 1988. "Disequilibrium in Poland's consumer markets: Further evidence on intermarket spillovers," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 43-60, March.
- Portes, Richard & Winter, David, 1980. "Disequilibrium Estimates for Consumption Goods Markets in Centrally Planned Economies," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47(1), pages 137-59, January.
- Sims, Christopher A, 1980. "Macroeconomics and Reality," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(1), pages 1-48, January.
- Muellbauer, John & Portes, Richard, 1978. "Macroeconomic Models with Quantity Rationing," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 88(352), pages 788-821, December.
- Benassy, Jean-Pascal, 1993. "Nonclearing Markets: Microeconomic Concepts and Macroeconomic Applications," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 31(2), pages 732-61, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wop:ccsowp:0025. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.