The Theory and Measurement of Macroeconomic Disequilibrium in Centrally Planned Economies
The paper considers issues in recent research on macroeconomic equilibrium in centrally planned economies. I defend the explicit aggregative, macroeconomic approach in theory, institutional relationships and measurement. It has offered a fresh, coherent framework for the analysis of many Centrally Planned Economies phenomena, opened up a range of possibilities for empirical investigation, and generated several important spinoffs: work on planners' behaviour; insights into CPE policy problems of the 1970s and early 1980s, which centred on macroeconomic equilibrium and threats to it; and some developments in market economy macro theory and econometrics. The quantity-rationing macro model and disequilibrium econometrics give a more useful as well as a more nuanced view of macroeconomic reality in CPEs than the conventional wisdom characterizing them as perpetual "shortage economies".
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
|Date of creation:||Jan 1986|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ.|
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
|Order Information:|| Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Richard Portes & David Winter, 1980. "Disequilibrium Estimates for Consumption Goods Markets in Centrally Planned Economies," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 47(1), pages 137-159.
- Weinrich, G., 1984. "On the size of disequilibrium in a equilibrium with quantity rationing," CORE Discussion Papers 1984018, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Reconciliation, A & Brada, Josef C., 1982. "Real and monetary approaches to foreign trade adjustment mechanisms in centrally planned economies," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 229-244.
- Pickersgill, Joyce E, 1976. "Soviet Household Saving Behavior," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 58(2), pages 139-47, May.
- Hare, Paul G., 1982. "Economics of shortage and non-price control," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(4), pages 406-425, December.
- Gourieroux, Christian & Laroque, Guy, 1983.
"The agregation of commodities in quantity rationing models,"
CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange)
- Gourieroux, Christian & Laroque, Guy, 1985. "The Aggregation of Commodities in Quantity Rationing Models," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 26(3), pages 681-99, October.
- Thomas A. Wolf, 1985. "Economic Stabilization in Planned Economies: Toward an Analytical Framework (La stabilisation Ã©conomique dans les Ã©conomies planifiÃ©es: recherche d'un cadre d'analyse) (EstabilizaciÃ³n econÃ³mica e," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 32(1), pages 78-131, March.
- Gardner, Roy & Strauss, Jonathan, 1981.
"Repressed inflation in the Soviet Union : A temporary equilibrium approach,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 387-404.
- Gardner Roy, 1979. "Repressed inflation in the soviet union : a temporary equilibrium approach," CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange) 7918, CEPREMAP.
- Portes, Richard & Winter, David, 1977. "The supply of consumption goods in centrally planned economies," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 1(4), pages 351-365, December.
- Barro, Robert J & Grossman, Herschel I, 1971. "A General Disequilibrium Model of Income and Employment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 61(1), pages 82-93, March.
- Muellbauer, John & Portes, Richard, 1978. "Macroeconomic Models with Quantity Rationing," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 88(352), pages 788-821, December.
- Robert J. Barro & Herschel I. Grossman, 1974. "Suppressed Inflation and the Supply Multiplier," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 41(1), pages 87-104.
- Portes, Richard, 1981. "Macroeconomic Equilibrium and Disequilibrium in Centrally Planned Economies," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 19(4), pages 559-78, October.
- Jean-Pascal Benassy, 1975. "Neo-Keynesian Disequilibrium Theory in a Monetary Economy," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 42(4), pages 503-523.
- Wojciech Charemza & Richard E. Quandt, 1982. "Models and Estimation of Disequilibrium for Centrally Planned Economies," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 49(1), pages 109-116.
- Portes, Richard, 1977. "The Control of Inflation: Lessons from East European Experience," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 44(174), pages 109-29, May.
- Jean-Michel Grandmont & Guy Laroque, 1976.
"On Temporary Keynesian Equilibria,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 43(1), pages 53-67.
- Frederic L. Pryor, 1977. "Some Costs and Benefits of Markets: An Empirical Study," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 91(1), pages 81-102.
- Howard, David H, 1976. "The Disequilibrium Model in a Controlled Economy: An Empirical Test of the Barro-Grossman Model," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 66(5), pages 871-79, December.
- Nissanke, Machiko, 1979. "The Disequilibrium Model in a Controlled Economy: Comment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 69(4), pages 726-32, September.
- Katz, Barbara Goody, 1979. "The Disequilibrium Model in a Controlled Economy: Comment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 69(4), pages 721-25, September.
- Portes, Richard & Winter, David, 1978. "The Demand for Money and for Consumption Goods in Centrally Planned Economies," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 60(1), pages 8-18, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpr:ceprdp:91. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask to update the entry or send us the correct email address
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.