Théorie du déséquilibre et chômage involontaire. Un examen critique
My aim is this paper is to assess whether disequilibrium models have succeeded in their aim of demonstrating the existence of involuntary unemployment in a Walrasian general equilibrium context. In a first stage of my inquiry, I critically examine the works of the founders of the disequilibrium approach, Patinkin, Clower and Leijonhufvud, and bring out their respective flaws. My concern in a second stage is the more elaborate models of Barro et Grossman, Drèze, Bénassy and Malinvaud. The main criticism levelled against them concerns the validity of their project to introduce price fixity within the Walrasian institutional set-up. Classification JEL : B 200 ; B220 ; E130.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- De Vroey, Michel, 2001. "Price Rigidity and Market-Clearing: A Conceptual Clarification," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 25(5), pages 639-655, September.
- Patinkin, Don, 1990. "On different interpretations of the General Theory," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 205-243, October.
- Jean-Pascal Benassy, 1976. "The Disequilibrium Approach to Monopolistic Price Setting and General Monopolistic Equilibrium," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 43(1), pages 69-81.
- Grandmont, Jean-Michel, 1977. " The Logic of the Fix-price Method," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 79(2), pages 169-186.
- Picard,Pierre, 1993. "Wages and Unemployment," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521350570, December.
- Michel De Vroey, 1998. "Is the tatonnement hypothesis a good caricature of market forces?," Journal of Economic Methodology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 5(2), pages 201-221.
- Jean-Pascal Benassy, 1975. "Neo-Keynesian Disequilibrium Theory in a Monetary Economy," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 42(4), pages 503-523.
- Silvestre, Joaquim, 1982. "Fixprice analysis in exchange economies," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 28-58, February.
- Goulven Rubin, 2002.
"From equilibrium to disequilibrium : the genesis of Don Patinkin's interpretation of the Keynesian theory,"
- Goulven Rubin, 2002. "From equilibrium to disequilibrium: the genesis of Don Patinkin's interpretation of the Keynesian theory," The European Journal of the History of Economic Thought, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(2), pages 205-225.
- Benassy, Jean-Pascal, 1993. "Nonclearing Markets: Microeconomic Concepts and Macroeconomic Applications," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 31(2), pages 732-761, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cai:recosp:reco_554_0647. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jean-Baptiste de Vathaire)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.