Towards A Reconstruction of Keynesian Economics: Expectations and Constrained Equilibria
A two-period model of temporary equilibrium with rationing is presented, paying particular attention to agents' expectations of future constraints. it is shown that with arbitrary constraint expectations many different types of current equilibria may be consistent with the same set of (current and expected future) wages and prices, and that constraint expectations tend to be self-fulfilling (e.g., a higher expectation of Keynesian unemployment tomorrow increases the probability that it will prevail today). In addition, rational constraint expectations (i.e., perfect foresight of future constraint levels) are shown to enhance rather than reduce the effectiveness of government policy.
|Date of creation:||Aug 1979|
|Publication status:||published as Neary, J. Peter and Joseph E. Stiglitz. "Towards A Reconstruction of Keynesian Economics: Expectations and Constrained Equilibria." Quarterly Journal of Economics, Vol. 98, Supplement, (1983), pp. 199-228.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.|
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Muellbauer, John & Portes, Richard, 1978. "Macroeconomic Models with Quantity Rationing," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 88(352), pages 788-821, December.
- Jean-Pascal Benassy, 1975. "Neo-Keynesian Disequilibrium Theory in a Monetary Economy," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 42(4), pages 503-523.
- Sargent, Thomas J & Wallace, Neil, 1975. ""Rational" Expectations, the Optimal Monetary Instrument, and the Optimal Money Supply Rule," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 83(2), pages 241-254, April.
- Blad, M.C. & Kirman, A.P., 1978. "The Long Run Evolution of a Rationed Equilibrium Model," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 128, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Bohm, Volker, 1978. "Disequilibrium dynamics in a simple macroeconomic model," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 179-199, April.
- Grandmont, Jean-Michel, 1993.
"Temporary general equilibrium theory,"
Handbook of Mathematical Economics,in: K. J. Arrow & M.D. Intriligator (ed.), Handbook of Mathematical Economics, edition 4, volume 2, chapter 19, pages 879-922
- Grandmont, Jean-Michel, 1977. "Temporary General Equilibrium Theory," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 45(3), pages 535-572, April.
- Barro, Robert J & Grossman, Herschel I, 1971. "A General Disequilibrium Model of Income and Employment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 61(1), pages 82-93, March.
- Dixit, Avinash, 1976. "Public finance in a Keynesian temporary equilibrium," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 242-258, April.
- Avinash Dixit, 1978. "The Balance of Trade in a Model of Temporary Equilibrium with Rationing," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 45(3), pages 393-404. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:0376. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.