La controverse entre Clower et Patinkin au sujet de la validité de la loi de Walras
This paper analyzes the controversy which opposed Clower and Patinkin about the validity of Walras law within the framework of the Keynesian theory. Quite paradoxically, it demonstrates that if Clower confronted Patinkin on this point it was precisely because he followed the conception of the Keynesian theory set out in chapter 13 of Money, Interest and Prices. The paradox, it is shown, is due to the fact that Patinkin refused to admit that his own theory questioned Walras law. On this basis, we offer an interpretation of the impasse on which the debate ended, a fact revealed by the correspondence between the two economists in 1990.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Grandmont, Jean-Michel, 1993.
"Temporary general equilibrium theory,"
Handbook of Mathematical Economics,
in: K. J. Arrow & M.D. Intriligator (ed.), Handbook of Mathematical Economics, edition 4, volume 2, chapter 19, pages 879-922
- Barro, Robert J & Grossman, Herschel I, 1971. "A General Disequilibrium Model of Income and Employment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 61(1), pages 82-93, March.
- Goulven Rubin, 2002.
"From equilibrium to disequilibrium: the genesis of Don Patinkin's interpretation of the Keynesian theory,"
The European Journal of the History of Economic Thought,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(2), pages 205-225.
- Goulven Rubin, 2002. "From equilibrium to disequilibrium : the genesis of Don Patinkin's interpretation of the Keynesian theory," Post-Print halshs-00636823, HAL.
- Patinkin, Don, 1990. "On different interpretations of the General Theory," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 205-243, October.
- E. Glustoff, 1968. "On the Existence of a Keynesian Equilibrium," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 35(3), pages 327-334.
- Jean-Pascal Benassy, 1975. "Neo-Keynesian Disequilibrium Theory in a Monetary Economy," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 42(4), pages 503-523.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cai:recosp:reco_561_0005. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jean-Baptiste de Vathaire)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.