La controverse entre Clower et Patinkin au sujet de la validité de la loi de Walras
This paper analyzes the controversy which opposed Clower and Patinkin about the validity of Walras law within the framework of the Keynesian theory. Quite paradoxically, it demonstrates that if Clower confronted Patinkin on this point it was precisely because he followed the conception of the Keynesian theory set out in chapter 13 of Money, Interest and Prices. The paradox, it is shown, is due to the fact that Patinkin refused to admit that his own theory questioned Walras law. On this basis, we offer an interpretation of the impasse on which the debate ended, a fact revealed by the correspondence between the two economists in 1990.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Goulven Rubin, 2002.
"From equilibrium to disequilibrium: the genesis of Don Patinkin's interpretation of the Keynesian theory,"
The European Journal of the History of Economic Thought,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(2), pages 205-225.
- Goulven Rubin, 2002. "From equilibrium to disequilibrium : the genesis of Don Patinkin's interpretation of the Keynesian theory," Post-Print halshs-00636823, HAL.
- Jean-Pascal Benassy, 1975. "Neo-Keynesian Disequilibrium Theory in a Monetary Economy," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 42(4), pages 503-523.
- Grandmont, Jean-Michel, 1993. "Temporary general equilibrium theory," Handbook of Mathematical Economics,in: K. J. Arrow & M.D. Intriligator (ed.), Handbook of Mathematical Economics, edition 4, volume 2, chapter 19, pages 879-922 Elsevier.
- Grandmont, Jean-Michel, 1977. "Temporary General Equilibrium Theory," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 45(3), pages 535-572, April.
- Barro, Robert J & Grossman, Herschel I, 1971. "A General Disequilibrium Model of Income and Employment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 61(1), pages 82-93, March.
- E. Glustoff, 1968. "On the Existence of a Keynesian Equilibrium," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 35(3), pages 327-334.
- Patinkin, Don, 1990. "On different interpretations of the General Theory," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 205-243, October. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)