Free Banking, the Real-Balance Effect, and Walras´ Law
The author of this article draws special attention to two particular claims of the free bankers concerning the supposed working characteristics of a fractional-reserve free banking system which may strike the reader as questionable. The first of these relates to the alleged absence of a real-balance effect under free banking. The second relates to the free bankers´ reference to Walras´ Law as providing a rationale for the free banking system´s “offsetting” actions when confronted with changes in the public´ s demand to hold bank liabilities. This rationale is defective since it is based on an erroneous interpretation of Walras´ Law. The author´s conclusion does not imply that it is not at all possible, from a rational viewpoint, to make a plausible case for this variant of free banking, only that the argument should be freed from certain questionable tenets.
|Date of creation:||17 Sep 2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Goulven Rubin, 2005.
"La controverse entre Clower et Patinkin au sujet de la validité de la loi de Walras,"
Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 56(1), pages 5-24.
- Goulven Rubin, 2005. "La controverse entre Clower et Patinkin au sujet de la validité de la loi de Walras," Post-Print halshs-00636829, HAL.
- Mill, John Stuart, 1874. "Essays on Some Unsettled Questions of Political Economy," History of Economic Thought Books, McMaster University Archive for the History of Economic Thought, edition 2, number mill1874, November.
- van den Hauwe, Ludwig, 2006. "The Uneasy Case for Fractional-Reserve Free Banking," MPRA Paper 120, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Glasner,David, 1989. "Free Banking and Monetary Reform," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521361750, May.
- David E. Laidler, 1988.
"Taking Money Seriously,"
Canadian Journal of Economics,
Canadian Economics Association, vol. 21(4), pages 687-713, November.
- Laidler, D., 1988. "Taking Money Seriously," UWO Department of Economics Working Papers 8804, University of Western Ontario, Department of Economics.
- Say, Jean-Baptiste, 1880. "A Treatise on Political Economy; or the Production, Distribution, and Consumption of Wealth," History of Economic Thought Books, McMaster University Archive for the History of Economic Thought, edition 4, number say1880, November. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:8765. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.