Central Planning and Monetarism: Fellow Travelers?
We discuss the monetary institutions and macroeconomics of centrally planned economies (CPEs) ; objectives and techniques of monetary control; the relevance to CPEs of the neutrality property, the natural rate hypothesis, and the quantity theory; the roles of stock .and flow variables and the stability of asset demand and expenditure functions; the relation between monetary policy, fiscal policy and incomes policy in CPEs; the CPE equivalent of a floating exchange rate and its implications for monetary policy; and "super crowding out." Many considerations suggest that monetarism as theory and policy might be more applicable under central planning than it is in market economies.
|Date of creation:||Oct 1981|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published as Portes, Richard. "Central Planning and Monetarism: Fellow Travelers?" Marxism, Central Planning and the Soviet Economy: Economic Essays in Honor of Alexander Erlich, ed. by Padma Desai, pp. 149-165. Cambridge: M.I.T. Press, (1983).|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Portes, Richard & Winter, David, 1980. "Disequilibrium Estimates for Consumption Goods Markets in Centrally Planned Economies," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47(1), pages 137-59, January.
- Hahn, F H, 1980. "Monetarism and Economic Theory," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 47(185), pages 1-17, February.
- Barro, Robert J & Grossman, Herschel I, 1974. "Suppressed Inflation and the Supply Multiplier," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(1), pages 87-104, January.
- Michael R. Darby, 1980. "Sterilization and Monetary Control under Pegged Exchange Rates: Theory and Evidence," NBER Working Papers 0449, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Portes, Richard & Winter, David, 1977. "The supply of consumption goods in centrally planned economies," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 1(4), pages 351-365, December.
- John Burkett & Richard Portes & David Winter, 1981. "Macroeconomic Adjustment and Foreign Trade of Centrally Planned Economies," NBER Working Papers 0736, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Douglas D. Purvis, 1978.
"Monetarism: A Review,"
320, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Portes, Richard, 1979. "Internal and external balance in a centrally planned economy," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 325-345, December.
- Portes, Richard & Winter, David, 1978. "The Demand for Money and for Consumption Goods in Centrally Planned Economies," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 60(1), pages 8-18, February.
- Portes, Richard, 1981. "Macroeconomic Equilibrium and Disequilibrium in Centrally Planned Economies," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 19(4), pages 559-78, October.
- Portes, Richard, 1977. "The Control of Inflation: Lessons from East European Experience," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 44(174), pages 109-29, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:0782. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.