Macroeconomic Adjustment and Foreign Trade of Centrally Planned Economies
This empirical study stresses the underlying macroeconomic forces which determine foreign trade flows in CPEs. The general specification includes a planners' demand equation for the volume of imports, a planners' supply equation for the volume of exports, and a rest-of-world demand equation for the export price level. The planners' behavioural equations include variables for activity levels, trade balance constraints, prices, and domestic excess demand. The import price is exogenous. This simultaneous equation model is estimated on annual data from the mid-1950s to the mid-1970s, for Czechoslovakia, the GDR, Hungary, and Poland. Maximum likelihood estimation in a nested hypothesis testing framework allows selection of restricted versions of the general model for each country. Estimated price elasticities accord with the underlying theory, and the excess demand variables perform well.
|Date of creation:||Aug 1981|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Richard Portes, 1979. "Effets de la crise sur les pays de l'Est," Revue Économique, Programme National Persée, vol. 30(6), pages 1067-1114.
- Portes, Richard, 1979. "Internal and external balance in a centrally planned economy," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 325-345, December.
- Portes, Richard, 1981. "Macroeconomic Equilibrium and Disequilibrium in Centrally Planned Economies," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 19(4), pages 559-78, October.
- Hendry, David F. & Srba, Frank, 1980. "Autoreg: a computer program library for dynamic econometric models with autoregressive errors," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 85-102, January.
- Portes, Richard & Winter, David, 1980. "Disequilibrium Estimates for Consumption Goods Markets in Centrally Planned Economies," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47(1), pages 137-59, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:0736. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.