International Evidence on the Demand for Money
One of the current questions in the literature on the demand for money is whether the adjustment of actual to desired money holdings is in nominal or real terms. This paper describes a simple procedure that can be used to test the nominal against the real hypothesis. The test is carried out for 27 countries. The paper also tests the structural stability of the demand for money equations and the correctness of the dynamic specification.
|Date of creation:||Dec 1986|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Review of Economics and Statistics (August 1987), 69(3): 473-480|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Yale University, Box 208281, New Haven, CT 06520-8281 USA|
Phone: (203) 432-3702
Fax: (203) 432-6167
Web page: http://cowles.yale.edu/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Cowles Foundation, Yale University, Box 208281, New Haven, CT 06520-8281 USA|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- R. W. Hafer & Scott E. Hein, 1980. "The dynamics and estimation of short-run money demand," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Mar, pages 26-35.
- Daniel L. Thornton, 1985. "Money demand dynamics: some new evidence," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Mar, pages 14-23.
- Hendry, David F. & Pagan, Adrian R. & Sargan, J.Denis, 1984. "Dynamic specification," Handbook of Econometrics, in: Z. Griliches† & M. D. Intriligator (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 18, pages 1023-1100 Elsevier.
- Stephen M. Goldfeld, 1976. "The Case of the Missing Money," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 7(3), pages 683-740.
- Spencer, David E, 1985. "Money Demand and the Price Level," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 67(3), pages 490-96, August.
- Stephen M. Goldfeld, 1973. "The Demand for Money Revisited," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 4(3), pages 577-646.
- Milbourne, Ross, 1983. "Price Expectations and the Demand for Money: Resolution of a Paradox," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 65(4), pages 633-38, November.
- R. W. Hafer, 1985. "Monetary stabilization policy: evidence from money demand forecasts," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue May, pages 21-26.
- Donald W.K. Andrews & Ray C. Fair, 1987.
"Inference in Econometric Models with Structural Change,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
832, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Andrews, Donald W. K. & Fair, Ray C., 1987. "Inference in Econometric Models with Structural Change," Working Papers 636, California Institute of Technology, Division of the Humanities and Social Sciences.
- Fair, Ray C, 1970. "The Estimation of Simultaneous Equation Models with Lagged Endogenous Variables and First Order Serially Correlated Errors," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 38(3), pages 507-16, May.
- Hwang, Hae-shin, 1985. "Test of the Adjustment Process and Linear Homogeneity in a Stock Adjustment Model of Money Demand," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 67(4), pages 689-92, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cwl:cwldpp:813. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Matthew C. Regan)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.