Tests of Functional Forms, Currency Substitution, and Capital Mobility of Czech Money Demand Function
The demand for real M2 in the Czech Republic is positively influenced by real output and negatively associated with the deposit rate, the koruna/euro exchange rate, and the euro interest rate. The coefficient of real output for the demand for real M1 is insignificant. Hence, depreciation of the koruna or a higher euro interest rate would help raise Czech real output. The Box-Cox transformation test shows that the log-linear form for real M1 and M2 demand cannot be rejected at the 5% level while the linear form for real M1 and M2 demand can be rejected at the 5% level. The CUSUM and CUSUMSQ tests show that parameters in the demand for both real M1 and M2 demand are stable. In comparison, real M2 is a better monetary aggregate.
Volume (Year): 2006 (2006)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (02) 24 09 51 11
Fax: (02) 24 22 06 57
Web page: http://www.vse.cz/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Editorial office Prague Economic Papers, University of Economics, nám. W. Churchilla 4, 130 67 Praha 3, Czech Republic|
Web: http://www.vse.cz/pep/ Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Keith Cuthbertson & Don Bredin, 2001.
"Money demand in the czech republic since transition,"
Journal of Economic Policy Reform,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 4(4), pages 271-290.
- Bredin, Don & Cuthbertson, Keith, 2001. "Money Demand in the Czech Republic since Transition," Research Technical Papers 3/RT/01, Central Bank of Ireland.
- Gregory C. Chow, 1966. "On the Long-Run and Short-Run Demand for Money," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 74, pages 111.
- Arango, Sebastian & Ishaq Nadiri, M., 1981. "Demand for money in open economies," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 69-83.
- Hetzel, Robert L & Mehra, Yash P, 1989. "The Behavior of Money Demand in the 1980s," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 21(4), pages 455-63, November.
- Phylaktis, Kate & Taylor, Mark P, 1993. "Money Demand, the Cagan Model and the Inflation Tax: Some Latin American Evidence," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 75(1), pages 32-37, February.
- Ray C. Fair, 1986.
"International Evidence on the Demand for Money,"
NBER Working Papers
2106, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Taylor, Mark P, 1991.
"The Hyperinflation Model of Money Demand Revisited,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 23(3), pages 327-51, August.
- Taylor, Mark P, 1990. "The Hyperinflation Model of Money Demand Revisited," CEPR Discussion Papers 473, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Goldfeld, Stephen M. & Sichel, Daniel E., 1990. "The demand for money," Handbook of Monetary Economics, in: B. M. Friedman & F. H. Hahn (ed.), Handbook of Monetary Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 8, pages 299-356 Elsevier.
- Luboš KomÃ¡rek & Martin Meleck�, 2003. "Currency Substitution in a Transitional Economy with an Application to the Czech Republic," Eastern European Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 41(4), pages 72-99, July.
- Hafer, R.W. & Jansen, D.W., 1990.
"The Demand For Money In The United States: Evidence From Cointegration Tests,"
9010, Erasmus University of Rotterdam - Institute for Economic Research.
- Hafer, R W & Jansen, Dennis W, 1991. "The Demand for Money in the United States: Evidence from Cointegration Tests," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 23(2), pages 155-68, May.
- John B. Carlson & Dennis L. Hoffman & Benjamin D. Keen & Robert H. Rasche, 1999.
"Results of a study of the stability of cointegrating relations comprised of broad monetary aggregates,"
9917, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Carlson, John B. & Hoffman, Dennis L. & Keen, Benjamin D. & Rasche, Robert H., 2000. "Results of a study of the stability of cointegrating relations comprised of broad monetary aggregates," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 345-383, October.
- Stephen M. Goldfeld, 1973. "The Demand for Money Revisited," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 4(3), pages 577-646.
- Bas Van Aarle & Nina Budina, 1996. "Currency substitution and seignorage in eastern europe," Journal of Economic Policy Reform, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 1(3), pages 279-298.
- Bahmani-Oskooee, Mohsen & Techaratanachai, Ampa, 2001. "Currency substitution in Thailand," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 141-145, February.
- Marquez, Jaime, 1987. "Money demand in open economies: A currency substitution model for Venezuela," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 167-178, June.
- M. Bahmani-Oskooee & S. Chomsisengphet, 2002. "Stability of M2 money demand function in industrial countries," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(16), pages 2075-2083.
- Mohsen Bahmani-Oskooee & Raymond Chi Wing Ng, 2002. "Long-Run Demand for Money in Hong Kong: An Application of the ARDL Model," International Journal of Business and Economics, College of Business, and College of Finance, Feng Chia University, Taichung, Taiwan, vol. 1(2), pages 147-155, August.
- Mohsen Bahmani-Oskooee & Hafez Rehman, 2005. "Stability of the money demand function in Asian developing countries," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(7), pages 773-792.
- David H. Small & Richard D. Porter, 1989. "Understanding the behavior of M2 and V2," Federal Reserve Bulletin, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.), issue Apr, pages 244-254.
- Yash P. Mehra, 1997. "A review of the recent behavior of M2 demand," Economic Quarterly, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond, issue Sum, pages 27-44.
- Duca, John V, 2000. "Financial Technology Shocks and the Case of the Missing M2," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 32(4), pages 820-39, November.
- Stephen M. Goldfeld, 1976. "The Case of the Missing Money," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 7(3), pages 683-740.
- McKinnon, Ronald I, 1982. "Currency Substitution and Instability in the World Dollar Standard," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 72(3), pages 320-33, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:prg:jnlpep:v:2006:y:2006:i:4:id:289:p:291-299. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Vaclav Subrta)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.