Range-Based Estimation of Quadratic Variation
This paper proposes using realized range-based estimators to draw inference about the quadratic variation of jump-diffusion processes. We also construct a range-based test of the hypothesis that an asset price has a continuous sample path. Simulated data shows that our approach is efficient, the test is well-sized and more powerful than a return-based t-statistic for sampling frequencies normally used in empirical work. Applied to equity data, we show that the intensity of the jump process is not as high as previously reported.
|Date of creation:||2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (0231) 755-3125
Fax: (0231) 755-5284
Web page: http://www.statistik.tu-dortmund.de/sfb475.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ole BARNDORFF-NIELSEN & Svend Erik GRAVERSEN & Jean JACOD & Mark PODOLSKIJ & Neil SHEPHARD, 2004.
"A Central Limit Theorem for Realised Power and Bipower Variations of Continuous Semimartingales,"
OFRC Working Papers Series
2004fe21, Oxford Financial Research Centre.
- Barndorff-Nielsen, Ole Eiler & Graversen, Svend Erik & Jacod, Jean & Podolskij, Mark, 2004. "A central limit theorem for realised power and bipower variations of continuous semimartingales," Technical Reports 2004,51, Technische Universität Dortmund, Sonderforschungsbereich 475: Komplexitätsreduktion in multivariaten Datenstrukturen.
- Neil Shephard, 2004. "A Central Limit Theorem for Realised Power and Bipower Variations of Continuous Semimartingales," Economics Series Working Papers 2004-FE-21, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Ole Barndorff-Nielsen & Svend Erik Graversen & Jean Jacod & Mark Podolskij & Neil Shephard, 2004. "A Central Limit Theorem for Realised Power and Bipower Variations of Continuous Semimartingales," Economics Papers 2004-W29, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Martens, M.P.E. & van Dijk, D.J.C., 2006.
"Measuring volatility with the realized range,"
Econometric Institute Research Papers
EI 2006-10, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- Christensen, Kim & Podolskij, Mark, 2007. "Realized range-based estimation of integrated variance," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 141(2), pages 323-349, December.
- Mikhail Chernov & A. Ronald Gallant & Eric Ghysels & George Tauchen, 2002.
"Alternative Models for Stock Price Dynamics,"
CIRANO Working Papers
- Meddahi, Nour & Mykland, Per & Shephard, Neil, 2011. "Realized Volatility," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 160(1), pages 1-1, January.
- Torben G. Andersen & Tim Bollerslev & Francis X. Diebold, 2002.
"Parametric and Nonparametric Volatility Measurement,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0279, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Torben G. Andersen & Tim Bollerslev & Francis X. Diebold, 2002. "Parametric and Nonparametric Volatility Measurement," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 02-27, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:sfb475:200637. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.