Welfare and poverty impacts of India's national rural employment guarantee scheme : evidence from Andhra Pradesh
This paper uses a three-round 4,000-household panel from Andhra Pradesh together with administrative data to explore short and medium-term poverty and welfare effects of the National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme. Triple difference estimates suggest that participants significantly increase consumption (protein and energy intake) in the short run and accumulate more nonfinancial assets in the medium term. Direct benefits exceed program-related transfers and are most pronounced for scheduled castes and tribes and households supplying casual labor. Asset creation via program-induced land improvements is consistent with a medium-term increase in assets by nonparticipants and increases in wage income in excess of program cost.
|Date of creation:||01 Jul 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1818 H Street, N.W., Washington, DC 20433|
Phone: (202) 477-1234
Web page: http://www.worldbank.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Paul Niehaus & Sandip Sukhtankar, 2013. "Corruption Dynamics: The Golden Goose Effect," American Economic Journal: Economic Policy, American Economic Association, vol. 5(4), pages 230-269, November.
- Zimmermann, Laura V, 2012. "Labor Market Impacts of a Large-Scale Public Works Program: Evidence from the Indian Employment Guarantee Scheme," IZA Discussion Papers 6858, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Klaus Deininger & Songqing Jin & Hari Nagarajan, 2013. "Wage Discrimination in I ndia's Informal Labor Markets: Exploring the Impact of Caste and Gender," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 17(1), pages 130-147, 02.
- Raghbendra Jha & Sambit Bhattacharyya & Raghav Gaiha, 2010.
"Social Safety Nets and Nutrient Deprivation: An Analysis of the National Rural Employment Guarantee Program and the Public Distribution System in India,"
ASARC Working Papers
2010-04, The Australian National University, Australia South Asia Research Centre.
- Jha, Raghbendra & Bhattacharyya, Sambit & Gaiha, Raghav, 2011. "Social safety nets and nutrient deprivation: An analysis of the National Rural Employment Guarantee Program and the Public Distribution System in India," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 189-201, April.
- Azam, Mehtabul, 2012. "The Impact of Indian Job Guarantee Scheme on Labor Market Outcomes: Evidence from a Natural Experiment," IZA Discussion Papers 6548, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Alberto Abadie & Guido W. Imbens, 2006. "Large Sample Properties of Matching Estimators for Average Treatment Effects," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 74(1), pages 235-267, 01.
- Jha, Raghbendra & Bhattacharyya, Sambit & Gaiha, Raghav & Shankar, Shylashri, 2009.
""Capture" of anti-poverty programs: An analysis of the National Rural Employment Guarantee Program in India,"
Journal of Asian Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 456-464, September.
- Raghbendra Jha & Sambit Bhattacharyya & Raghav Gaiha & Shylashri Shankar, 2008. "Capture of Anti-Poverty Programs: An Analysis of the National Rural Employment Guarantee Program in India," ASARC Working Papers 2008-07, The Australian National University, Australia South Asia Research Centre.
- Afridi, Farzana & Mukhopadhyay, Abhiroop & Sahoo, Soham, 2012.
"Female Labour Force Participation and Child Education in India: The Effect of the National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme,"
IZA Discussion Papers
6593, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Farzana Afridi & Abhiroop Mukhopadhyay & Soham Sahoo, 2013. "Female labor force participation and child education in India: The Effect of the National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme," Indian Statistical Institute, Planning Unit, New Delhi Discussion Papers 13-03, Indian Statistical Institute, New Delhi, India.
- repec:oxf:wpaper:wps/2012-05 is not listed on IDEAS
- Hotz, V. Joseph & Crump, Richard K. & Mitnik, Oscar A. & Imbens, Guido, 2009.
"Dealing with Limited Overlap in Estimation of Average Treatment Effects,"
3007645, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Richard K. Crump & V. Joseph Hotz & Guido W. Imbens & Oscar A. Mitnik, 2009. "Dealing with limited overlap in estimation of average treatment effects," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 96(1), pages 187-199.
- Richard K. Crump & V. Joseph Hotz & Guido W. Imbens & Oscar A. Mitnik, 2004. "Dealing with Limited Overlap in Estimation of Average Treatment Effects," Working Papers 0716, University of Miami, Department of Economics, revised 12 Jun 2007.
- K. Subbarao, 1997. "Public Works as an Anti-Poverty Program: An Overview of Cross-Country Experience," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(2), pages 678-683.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wbk:wbrwps:6543. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.