Female Labour Force Participation and Child Education in India: The Effect of the National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme
Download full text from publisher
Other versions of this item:
- Farzana Afridi & Abhiroop Mukhopadhyay & Soham Sahoo, 2013. "Female labor force participation and child education in India: The Effect of the National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme," Indian Statistical Institute, Planning Unit, New Delhi Discussion Papers 13-03, Indian Statistical Institute, New Delhi, India.
References listed on IDEAS
- Duncan Thomas, 1990.
"Intra-Household Resource Allocation: An Inferential Approach,"
Journal of Human Resources,
University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 25(4), pages 635-664.
- Thomas, D., 1989. "Intra-Household Resource Allocation: An Inferential Approach," Papers 586, Yale - Economic Growth Center.
- Duncan Thomas, 1994.
"Like Father, like Son; Like Mother, like Daughter: Parental Resources and Child Height,"
Journal of Human Resources,
University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 29(4), pages 950-988.
- Thomas, D., 1995. "Like Father, Like Son, Like Mother, Like Daughter, Parental Resources and Child Height," Papers 95-01, RAND - Reprint Series.
- Nancy Qian, 2008.
"Missing Women and the Price of Tea in China: The Effect of Sex-Specific Earnings on Sex Imbalance,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 123(3), pages 1251-1285.
- Qian, Nancy, 2006. "Missing Women and the Price of Tea in China: The Effect of Sex-Specific Earnings on Sex Imbalance," CEPR Discussion Papers 5986, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Skoufias, Emmanuel, 1993.
"Labor market opportunities and intrafamily time allocation in rural households in South Asia,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 40(2), pages 277-310, April.
- Skoufias, E., 1989. "Labor Market Opportunities And Interafamily Time Allocation In Rural Households In South Asia," Papers 3-90-2, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- Agnes R. Quisumbing & John A. Maluccio, 2003. "Resources at Marriage and Intrahousehold Allocation: Evidence from Bangladesh, Ethiopia, Indonesia, and South Africa," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 65(3), pages 283-327, July.
- Andrew D. Foster & Mark R. Rosenzweig, 1996.
"Comparative Advantage, Information and the Allocation of Workers to Tasks: Evidence from an Agricultural Labour Market,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 63(3), pages 347-374.
- Mark Rosenzweig & Andrew D. Foster, "undated". "Comparative Advantage, Information and the Allocation of Workers to Tasks: Evidence from an Agricultural Labor Market," Home Pages _066, University of Pennsylvania.
- Anderson, Siwan & Eswaran, Mukesh, 2009. "What determines female autonomy? Evidence from Bangladesh," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 90(2), pages 179-191, November.
- Haddad, Lawrence & Hoddinott, John, 1994. "Women's income and boy-girl anthropometric status in the Cote d'Ivoire," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 22(4), pages 543-553, April.
- McElroy, Marjorie B & Horney, Mary Jean, 1981. "Nash-Bargained Household Decisions: Toward a Generalization of the Theory of Demand," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 22(2), pages 333-349, June.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Adukia, Anjali & Asher, Samuel & Novosad, Paul, 2017. "Educational Investment Responses to Economic Opportunity: Evidence from Indian Road Construction," MPRA Paper 80194, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Manisha Shah & Bryce Millett Steinberg, 2015.
"Workfare and Human Capital Investment: Evidence from India,"
NBER Working Papers
21543, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bryce Millett Steinberg & Manisha Shah, 2015. "Workfare and Human Capital Investment: Evidence from India," Working Papers id:7755, eSocialSciences.
- Shah, Manisha & Millett Steinberg, Bryce, 2015. "Workfare and Human Capital Investment: Evidence from India," IZA Discussion Papers 9486, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Gabriela Guerrero & Juan Leon & Kirrily Pells & Martin Woodhead, 2014. "Changing Children’s Lives Risks and Opportunities (Cambiando la vida de los niños)," Documentos de Trabajo (Niños del Milenio-GRADE) ninosmcambiandolavida, Niños del Milenio (Young Lives).
- Esther Gehrke, 2014.
"An employment guarantee as risk insurance? Assessing the effects of the NREGS on agricultural production decisions,"
152, Bavarian Graduate Program in Economics (BGPE).
- Gehrke,Esther Isabelle, 2017. "An employment guarantee as risk insurance ? assessing the effects of the NREGS on agricultural production decisions," Policy Research Working Paper Series 8015, The World Bank.
- Klonner, Stefan & Oldiges , Christian, 2014. "Safety Net for India's Poor or Waste of Public Funds? Poverty and Welfare in the Wake of the World's Largest Job Guarantee Program," Working Papers 0564, University of Heidelberg, Department of Economics.
- Songqing Jin & Yanyan Liu, 2013.
"Welfare and Poverty Impacts of Indiaâ€™s National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme: Evidence from Andhra Pradesh,"
- Deininger, Klaus & Liu, Yanyan, 2013. "Welfare and poverty impacts of Indiaâ€™s national rural employment guarantee scheme: Evidence from Andhra Pradesh:," IFPRI discussion papers 1289, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Stephan Klasen & Janneke Pieters, 2015.
"What Explains the Stagnation of Female Labor Force Participation in Urban India?,"
World Bank Economic Review,
World Bank Group, vol. 29(3), pages 449-478.
- Klasen, Stephan & Pieters, Janneke, 2013. "What Explains the Stagnation of Female Labor Force Participation in Urban India?," IZA Discussion Papers 7597, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Klasen,Stephan & Pieters,Janneke, 2015. "What explains the stagnation of female labor force participation in urban India ?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 7222, The World Bank.
- Stephan Klasen & Janneke Pieters, 2013. "What explains the stagnation of female labor force participation in urban India?," Courant Research Centre: Poverty, Equity and Growth - Discussion Papers 146, Courant Research Centre PEG.
- Mihir Shah, 2016. "Should India do away with the MGNREGA?," The Indian Journal of Labour Economics, Springer;The Indian Society of Labour Economics (ISLE), vol. 59(1), pages 125-153, March.
- Deininger, Klaus & Liu, Yanyan, 2013. "Welfare and poverty impacts of India's national rural employment guarantee scheme : evidence from Andhra Pradesh," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6543, The World Bank.
- Tony Addison & Ville Pikkarainen & Risto Rönkkö & Finn Tarp, 2017. "Development and poverty in sub-Saharan Africa," WIDER Working Paper Series 169, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Deininger,Klaus W. & Nagarajan,Hari Krishnan & Singh,Sudhir K. & Deininger,Klaus W. & Nagarajan,Hari Krishnan & Singh,Sudhir K., 2016. "Short-term effects of India's employment guarantee program on labor markets and agricultural productivity," Policy Research Working Paper Series 7665, The World Bank.
- Nuhu, Ahmed Salim, 2015. "Domestic Violence, Intrahousehold Bargaining and Child Health Development in Ghana," EconStor Preprints 125776, ZBW - German National Library of Economics.
- Sofia Amaral & Siddhartha Bandyopadhyay & Rudra Sensarma, 2015.
"Public Work Programs and Gender-based Violence: The Case of NREGA in India,"
15-09, Department of Economics, University of Birmingham.
- Sofia Amaral & Siddhartha Bandyopadhyay & Rudra Sensarma, 2015. "Public work programmes and gender-based violence- the case of NREGA in India," Working papers 176, Indian Institute of Management Kozhikode.
- Ravi, Shamika & Engler, Monika, 2015. "Workfare as an Effective Way to Fight Poverty: The Case of India’s NREGS," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 67(C), pages 57-71.
- Merfeld, Joshua D, 2017. "Spatially Heterogeneous Effects of a Public Works Program," MPRA Paper 80630, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Sheahan, Megan & Liu, Yanyan & Narayanan, Sudha & Barrett, Christopher B., 2015. "Disaggregated labor supply implications of guaranteed employment in India," 2016 Annual Meeting, July 31-August 2, 2016, Boston, Massachusetts 237345, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Shreyasee Das & Abhilasha Singh, 2013. "The Impact of Temporary Work Guarantee Programs on Children's Education: Evidence from the Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Guarantee Act from India," Working Papers 13-03, UW-Whitewater, Department of Economics.
- Zimmermann, Laura V, 2015. "May There Be Victory: Government Election Performance and the World's Largest Public-Works Program," IZA Discussion Papers 9161, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Sinduja Srinivasan, 2014. "Impact of Public Works on Household Occupational Choice Evidence from NREGS in India," Working Papers WR-1053, RAND Corporation.
- Ahmed Salim NUHU, 2016. "Intrahousehold Bargaining, Domestic Violence Laws and Child Health Development in Ghana," Journal of Economic and Social Thought, KSP Journals, vol. 3(1), pages 126-138, March.
- Ganita BHUPAL & Abdoul G. SAM, 2014. "Female Income and Expenditure on Children: Impact of the National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme in India," Applied Econometrics and International Development, Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 14(2).
More about this item
Keywordsbargaining; labour; education; gender;
- I21 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Education - - - Analysis of Education
- I38 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare, Well-Being, and Poverty - - - Government Programs; Provision and Effects of Welfare Programs
- J16 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demographic Economics - - - Economics of Gender; Non-labor Discrimination
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-06-25 (All new papers)
- NEP-DEM-2012-06-25 (Demographic Economics)
- NEP-EDU-2012-06-25 (Education)
- NEP-LAB-2012-06-25 (Labour Economics)
- NEP-LMA-2012-06-25 (Labor Markets - Supply, Demand, & Wages)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp6593. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak). General contact details of provider: http://www.iza.org .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.