Interest rate pass-through and risk
One of the most striking features of the financial crisis that began in the autumn of 2007 has been the associated upheaval in conventional interest rate spreads. In the UK, this is most frequently symbolised by the widening (and increased volatility) of the spread between 3-month Libor and the Bank of England’s policy rate. This paper uses a vector error correction model to look at the way in which the recent crisis has affected a wide range of interest rate spreads. We look for changes in the coefficient on the policy rate (the ‘pass-through’) and at changes in the speed of adjustment to changes in the policy rate, since both are important for policy. We find, as others have done, that the conventional behaviour of almost all spreads is swept away after August 2007. By developing a model which incorporates measures of counterparty and liquidity risk, we show that market rates are now subject to additional influences, but except for secured loans, still incorporate the effects of changes in the policy rate much as they did before the crisis. This contrasts with the widely-held view that the relationship between policy and money market rates in particular has been severely disrupted by the crisis. For secured loans, however, there is evidence that the mark-up has risen while at the same time the policy pass-through has fallen since August 2007. The same applies to deposit rates, albeit to a lesser extent, with the result that the sharp reduction in policy rate since the end of 2007 has had a larger effect on deposit than loan rates.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 0117 328 3610
Web page: http://www1.uwe.ac.uk/bl/research/bristoleconomics.aspx
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mathias Drehmann & Steffen Sorensen & Marco Stringa, 2008. "The integrated impact of credit and interest rate risk on banks: an economic value and capital adequacy perspective," Bank of England working papers 339, Bank of England.
- Bent Nielsen, 2000.
"Cointegration Analysis in the Presence of Structural Breaks in the Deterministic Trend,"
Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers
1494, Econometric Society.
- Søren Johansen & Rocco Mosconi & Bent Nielsen, 2000. "Cointegration analysis in the presence of structural breaks in the deterministic trend," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 3(2), pages 216-249.
- Bent Nielsen & Soren Johansen and Rocco Mosconi, 2000. "Cointegration analysis in the presence of structural breaks in the deterministic trend," Economics Series Working Papers 2000-W22, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Button, Richard & Pezzini, Silvia & Rossiter, Neil, 2010. "Understanding the price of new lending to households," Bank of England Quarterly Bulletin, Bank of England, vol. 50(3), pages 172-182.
- Maudos, Joaquin & Fernandez de Guevara, Juan, 2004.
"Factors explaining the interest margin in the banking sectors of the European Union,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 28(9), pages 2259-2281, September.
- Maudos, Joaquin & Fernandez de Guevara, Juan, 2003. "Factors Explaining the Interest Margin in the Banking Sectors of the European Union," MPRA Paper 15252, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Michiel van Leuvensteijn & Christoffer Kok S�rensen & Jacob A. Bikker & Adrian A.R.J.M. van Rixtel, 2013.
"Impact of bank competition on the interest rate pass-through in the euro area,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 45(11), pages 1359-1380, April.
- Michiel van Leuvensteijn & Christoffer Kok Sørensen & Jacob A. Bikker & Adrian van Rixtel, 2008. "Impact of bank competition on the interest rate pass-through in the euro area," Banco de Espa�a Working Papers 0828, Banco de Espa�a.
- M. van leuvensteijn & C. Kok Sorensen & J.A. Bikker & A.A.R.J.M. van Rixtel, 2008. "Impact of bank competition on the interest rate pass-through in the euro area," DNB Working Papers 171, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- van Leuvensteijn, Michiel & Kok, Christoffer & Bikker, Jacob A. & Van Rixtel, Adrian, 2008. "Impact of bank competition on the interest rate pass-through in the euro area," Working Paper Series 0885, European Central Bank.
- Michiel van Leuvensteijn & C. Kok Sorensen & J.A. Bikker & A.A.R.J.M. Rixtel, 2008. "Impact of bank competition on the interest rate pass-through in the euro area," CPB Discussion Paper 103, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- M. van Leuvensteijn & C. Kok SÃ¸rensen & J.A. Bikker & A.A.R.J.M. van Rixtel, 2008. "Impact of bank competition on the interest rate pass-through in the euro area," Working Papers 08-08, Utrecht School of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:uwe:wpaper:1016. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Felix Ritchie)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.