The integrated impact of credit and interest rate risk on banks: an economic value and capital adequacy perspective
Credit and interest rate risk in the banking book are the two most important risks faced by commercial banks. In this paper we derive a consistent and general framework to measure the integrated impact of both risks on banks' portfolios. The framework accounts for all sources of credit risk and interest rate risk. By modelling the whole portfolio of a bank and by taking account of the repricing characteristics of all exposures, we can assess the impact of credit and interest rate risk not only on the bank's economic value but also on its future earnings and capital adequacy. We apply our framework to a hypothetical bank in normal and stressed conditions. The simulation highlights that it is fundamental to measure the impact of interest rate and credit risk jointly. We also show that it is crucial to model the whole portfolio, including the repricing and maturity characteristics of assets, liabilities and off balance sheet items.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Bank of England, Threadneedle Street, London, EC2R 8AH|
Phone: +44 (0)171 601 4030
Fax: +44 (0)171 601 5196
Web page: http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- M. Hashem Pesaran & Til Schuermann & Björn-Jakob Treutler & Scott M. Weiner & April, .
"Macroeconomic Dynamics and Credit Risk: A Global Perspective,"
Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers
03-13, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Pesaran, M. Hashem & Schuermann, Til & Treutler, Bjorn-Jakob & Weiner, Scott M., 2006. "Macroeconomic Dynamics and Credit Risk: A Global Perspective," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 38(5), pages 1211-1261, August.
- Pesaran, M.H. & Schuermann, T. & Treutler, B-J. & Weiner, S.M., 2003. "Macroeconomic Dynamics and Credit Risk: A Global Perspective," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0330, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Til Schuermann & Björn-Jakob Treutler & Scott M. Weiner & M. Hashem Pesaran, 2003. "Macroeconomic Dynamics and Credit Risk: A Global Perspective," CESifo Working Paper Series 995, CESifo Group Munich.
- Marshall E. Blume & Felix Lim & A. Craig MacKinlay, . "The Declining Credit Quality of US Corporate Debt: Myth or Reality?," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 03-98, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Norbert Jobst & Stavros A. Zenios, 2001. "Extending Credit Risk (Pricing) Models for the Simulation of Portfolios of Interest Rate and Credit Risk Sensitive Securities," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 01-25, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Maurizio Luisi & Jeffery D. Amato, 2006. "Macro factors in the term structure of credit spreads," BIS Working Papers 203, Bank for International Settlements.
- Antje Berndt & Rohan Douglas & Darrell Duffie & Mark Ferguson & David Schranz, 2005.
"Measuring default risk premia from default swap rates and EDFs,"
BIS Working Papers
173, Bank for International Settlements.
- Antje Berndt & Rohan Douglas & Darrell Duffie & Mark Ferguson, . "Measuring Default Risk Premia from Default Swap Rates and EDFs," GSIA Working Papers 2006-E31, Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business.
- Nicola Anderson & John Sleath, 2001. "New estimates of the UK real and nominal yield curves," Bank of England working papers 126, Bank of England.
- Francis X. Diebold & Glenn D. Rudebusch & S. Boragan Aruoba, 2004.
"The Macroeconomy and the Yield Curve: A Dynamic Latent Factor Approach,"
NBER Working Papers
10616, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Diebold, Francis X. & Rudebusch, Glenn D. & Borag[caron]an Aruoba, S., 2006. "The macroeconomy and the yield curve: a dynamic latent factor approach," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 131(1-2), pages 309-338.
- repec:sae:niesru:v:139:y::i:1:p:88-94 is not listed on IDEAS
- Jarrow, Robert A. & Turnbull, Stuart M., 2000. "The intersection of market and credit risk," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(1-2), pages 271-299, January.
- Chen, Carl R & Chan, Anthony, 1989. "Interest Rate Sensitivity, Asymmetry, and the Stock Returns of Financial Institutions," The Financial Review, Eastern Finance Association, vol. 24(3), pages 457-73, August.
- Marshall E. Blume & Felix Lim & A. Craig Mackinlay, 1998. "The Declining Credit Quality of U.S. Corporate Debt: Myth or Reality?," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 53(4), pages 1389-1413, 08.
- repec:fth:pennfi:67 is not listed on IDEAS
- Jobst, Norbert J. & Mitra, Gautam & Zenios, Stavros A., 2006. "Integrating market and credit risk: A simulation and optimisation perspective," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 717-742, February.
- Flannery, Mark J & James, Christopher M, 1984. " The Effect of Interest Rate Changes on the Common Stock Returns of Financial Institutions," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 39(4), pages 1141-53, September.
- Donald R. Fraser, 2002. "Sources of Bank Interest Rate Risk," The Financial Review, Eastern Finance Association, vol. 37(3), pages 351-367, 08.
- Corvoisier, Sandrine & Gropp, Reint, 2002.
"Bank concentration and retail interest rates,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 26(11), pages 2155-2189, November.
- Barnhill Jr., Theodore M. & Maxwell, William F., 2002. "Modeling correlated market and credit risk in fixed income portfolios," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(2-3), pages 347-374, March.
- Sorge, Marco & Virolainen, Kimmo, 2006. "A comparative analysis of macro stress-testing methodologies with application to Finland," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 113-151, June.
- Konstantijn Maes, 2004. "Interest Rate Risk in the Belgian Banking Sector," Financial Stability Review, National Bank of Belgium, vol. 2(1), pages 157-179, June.
- David M. Wright & James V. Houpt, 1996. "An analysis of commercial bank exposure to interest rate risk," Federal Reserve Bulletin, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.), issue Feb, pages 115-128.
- Diamond, Douglas W & Dybvig, Philip H, 1983.
"Bank Runs, Deposit Insurance, and Liquidity,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 91(3), pages 401-19, June.
- Marshall E. Blume & Felix Lim & A. Craig MacKinlay, . "The Declining Credit Quality of US Corporate Debt: Myth or Reality?," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 3-98, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:boe:boeewp:339. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Digital Media Team)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.