Fiscal Institutions in Resource-Rich Economies: Lessons from Chile and Norway
Resource-rich economies in general, and Arab oil exporters in particular, are at a critical juncture, facing the challenge of revamping their fiscal policy institutions and conduct to strengthen macroeconomic and financial stability, raise growth, and improve intra/inter-generational equity. This paper starts by reviewing the international evidence on fiscal policies and outcomes in resource-rich economies at large and Arab oil-exporting countries in particular, which suggests that strong fiscal (and political) institutions can turn the resource curse into a blessing. Then the paper provides comparative reviews of Chile’s and Norway’s decade-long experience in setting up new fiscal institutions and rules to manage their resource rents, aiming at and, in fact, attaining more macroeconomic and financial stability, higher growth, and improved equity. Specific reform lessons to strengthen fiscal institutions and policies are drawn for resource-rich economies and Arab oil exporters.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (562) 354-4303
Fax: (562) 553-1664
Web page: http://www.economia.puc.cl
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Leandro Medina & Carlos Caceres & Ana Corbacho, 2010. "Structural Breaks in Fiscal Performance: Did Fiscal Responsibility Laws Have Anything to Do with Them?," IMF Working Papers 10/248, International Monetary Fund.
- Geraats, P. & Eijffinger, S.C.W. & van der Cruijsen, C.A.B., 2006.
"Does Central Bank Transparancy Reduce Interest Rates?,"
2006-11, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Eijffinger, Sylvester C W & Geraats, Petra M & van der Cruijsen, Carin A B, 2006. "Does Central Bank Transparency Reduce Interest Rates?," CEPR Discussion Papers 5526, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Petra M. Geraats & Sylvester C.W. Eijffinger & Carin A.B. van der Cruijsen, 2006. "Does Central Bank Transparency Reduce Interest Rates?," DNB Working Papers 085, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Xavier Debrun & David Hauner & Manmohan S. Kumar, 2009. "Independent Fiscal Agencies," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 23(1), pages 44-81, 02.
- Marcel, Mario, 2001.
"Balance Estructural del Gobierno Central. Metodología y Estimaciones para Chile
[Structural Bazlance of Central Government. Methodology and estimates for Chile]," MPRA Paper 43338, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Alberto Alesina & Roberto Perotti, 1996.
"Budget Deficits and Budget Institutions,"
NBER Working Papers
5556, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alberto Alesina & Silvia Ardagna & Roberto Perotti & Fabio Schiantarelli, 2000.
"Fiscal Policy, Profits, and Investment,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
504, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Schiantarelli, Fabio & Perotti, Roberto & Ardagna, Silvia & Alesina, Alberto, 2002. "Fiscal Policy, Profits, and Investment," Scholarly Articles 4685103, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Alberto Alesina & Silvia Ardagna & Roberto Perotti & Fabio Schiantarelli, 1999. "Fiscal Policy, Profits, and Investment," NBER Working Papers 7207, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alesina, Alberto F & Ardagna, Silvia & Perotti, Roberto & Schiantarelli, Fabio, 1999. "Fiscal Policy, Profits and Investment," CEPR Discussion Papers 2250, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Hanan Morsy, 2009.
"Current Account Determinants for Oil-Exporting Countries,"
IMF Working Papers
09/28, International Monetary Fund.
- Hanan Morsy, 2010. "Current Account Determinants For Oil-Exporting Countries," Working Papers 511, Economic Research Forum, revised Mar 2010.
- Ibrahim Ahmed Elbadawi & Raimundo Soto, 2012. "Resource Rents, Political Institutions and Economic Growth," Documentos de Trabajo 413, Instituto de Economia. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile..
- Petra M. Geraats, 2008. "ECB Credibility and Transparency," European Economy - Economic Papers 330, Directorate General Economic and Financial Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Xavier Debrun & Manmohan S. Kumar, 2007. "The Discipline-Enhancing Role of Fiscal Institutions: Theory and Empirical Evidence," IMF Working Papers 07/171, International Monetary Fund.
- John Thornton & Fabian Bornhorst & Sanjeev Gupta, 2008. "Natural Resource Endowments, Governance, and the Domestic Revenue Effort: Evidence from a Panel of Countries," IMF Working Papers 08/170, International Monetary Fund.
- Nisreen Salti, 2008. "Oil Greasing the Wheels: When Do Natural Resources Become a Blessing?," Working Papers 439, Economic Research Forum, revised Sep 2008.
- Larraín B., Felipe & Parro, Francisco, 2008. "Chile menos volátil," El Trimestre Económico, Fondo de Cultura Económica, vol. 0(299), pages 563-596, julio-sep.
- César Calderón & Roberto Duncan & Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel., 2010. "Institutions and Cyclical Properties of Macroeconomic Policies in the Global Economy," Documentos de Trabajo 372, Instituto de Economia. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile..
- Ethan Ilzetzki & Carlos A. Vegh, 2008. "Procyclical Fiscal Policy in Developing Countries: Truth or Fiction?," NBER Working Papers 14191, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ioe:doctra:416. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jaime Casassus)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.