Institutions and Cyclical Properties of Macroeconomic Policies
Strong swings in business cycle conditions in industrial and emerging market economies (EMEs) alike have renewed the debate on effectiveness of stabilization policies. Traditionally it has been argued that EMEs are unable to pursue counter-cyclical monetary and fiscal policies due to financial imperfections and unfavorable political-economy equilibriums. However, we claim that EMEs with institutional features similar to those of industrial countries may be able to conduct counter-cyclical policies. Using a sample of 20 EMEs and annual data for the 1990-2003 period, we find that the level of institutional quality plays a key role in the ability of these economies to conduct stabilizing macroeconomic policies. We show that EMEs with strong institutions are able to implement counter-cyclical macroeconomic policies —reflected in extended monetary-policy (Taylor) and fiscal-policy rules.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2004|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Casilla No967, Santiago|
Phone: (562) 670 2000
Fax: (562) 698 4847
Web page: http://www.bcentral.cl/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Choi, Woon Gyu & Cook, David, 2004.
"Liability dollarization and the bank balance sheet channel,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 64(2), pages 247-275, December.
- David Cook & Woon Gyu Choi, 2002. "Liability Dollarization and the Bank Balance Sheet Channel," IMF Working Papers 02/141, International Monetary Fund.
- Michael Gavin & Ricardo Hausmann & Roberto Perotti & Ernesto Talvi, 1996. "Managing Fiscal Policy in Latin America and the Caribbean: Volatility, Procyclicality, and Limited Creditworthiness," Research Department Publications 4032, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Michael Gavin & Ricardo Hausmann & Roberto Perotti & Ernesto Talvi, 1996. "Managing Fiscal Policy in Latin America and the Caribbean: Volatility, Procyclicality, and Limited Creditworthiness," IDB Publications (Working Papers) 6797, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Caballero, Ricardo J. & Krishnamurthy, Arvind, 2001. "International and domestic collateral constraints in a model of emerging market crises," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(3), pages 513-548, December.
- Ricardo Caballero & Arvind Krishnamurthy, 2000. "International and Domestic Collateral Constraints in a Model of Emerging Market Crises," NBER Working Papers 7971, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alberto Alesina & Alexander F. Wagner, 2006. "Choosing (and Reneging on) Exchange Rate Regimes," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 4(4), pages 770-799, 06.
- Alberto Alesina & Alexander Wagner, 2003. "Choosing (and reneging on) exchange rate regimes," NBER Working Papers 9809, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alberto Alesina & Alexander Wagner, 2003. "Choosing (And Reneging On) Exchange Rate Regimes," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 2008, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:chb:bcchwp:285. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Claudio Sepulveda)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.