On the measurement of market power in the banking industry
This paper compares the estimates of the two most widely used non-structural models for market power measurement in banking, namely the conduct parameter method and the revenue test, as applied to a panel of Greek banks over the period 1993-2004. We also propose a dynamic reformulation of these models within a panel data context, in order to address possible statistical problems associated with the dynamic nature of bank-level data. The results suggest that both static methods provide lower estimates of market power relative to their dynamic counterparts. Therefore, the inclusion of some dynamics in the models, even though it increased estimation complexity, helped to reveal some collusive behavior of banks.
|Date of creation:||12 Jun 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Journal of Business Finance and Accounting 7.35(2008): pp. 1023-1047|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Binder, M. & Hsaio, C. & Pesaran, M.H., 2000.
"Estimation and Inference in Short Panel Vector Autoregressions with Unit Roots and Cointegration,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
0003, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Binder, Michael & Hsiao, Cheng & Pesaran, M. Hashem, 2005. "Estimation And Inference In Short Panel Vector Autoregressions With Unit Roots And Cointegration," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 21(04), pages 795-837, August.
- Michael Binder & Cheng Hsiao & M. Hashem Pesaran, 2000. "Estimation and Inference in Short Panel Vector Autoregressions with Unit Roots and Cointegration," Banco de Espa�a Working Papers 0005, Banco de Espa�a.
- Michael Binder & Cheng Hsiao & M. Hashem Pesaran, 2000. "Estimation and Inference In Short Panel Vector Autoregressions with Unit Roots And Cointegration," CESifo Working Paper Series 374, CESifo Group Munich.
- Michael Binder, Cheng Hsiao, and M. Hashem Pesaran, 2001. "Estimation and Inference in Short Panel Vector Autoregressions with Unit Roots and Cointegration," Computing in Economics and Finance 2001 36, Society for Computational Economics.
- Steen, Frode & Salvanes, Kjell G., 1999.
"Testing for market power using a dynamic oligopoly model,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 147-177, February.
- Salvanes, K.G. & Steen, F., 1995. "Testing for Market Power Using a Dynamic OLigopoly Model," Papers 13/95, Norwegian School of Economics and Business Administration-.
- Hansen, Lars Peter, 1982. "Large Sample Properties of Generalized Method of Moments Estimators," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 1029-54, July.
- Hirofumi Uchida & Yoshiro Tsutsui, 2002.
"Has Competition in the Japanese Banking Sector Improved?,"
Discussion Papers in Economics and Business
02-09-Rev, Osaka University, Graduate School of Economics and Osaka School of International Public Policy (OSIPP), revised Sep 2003.
- Uchida, Hirofumi & Tsutsui, Yoshiro, 2005. "Has competition in the Japanese banking sector improved?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 419-439, February.
- Arellano, Manuel & Bond, Stephen, 1991.
"Some Tests of Specification for Panel Data: Monte Carlo Evidence and an Application to Employment Equations,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(2), pages 277-97, April.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to replicate Arellano-Bond 1991 dynamic panel," Statistical Software Components RTZ00169, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Allen N. Berger & Seth D. Bonime & Daniel M. Covitz & Diana Hancock, 1999.
"Why are bank profits so persistent: the roles of product market competition, informational opacity, and regional/macroeconomic shocks,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
1999-28, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Berger, Allen N. & Bonime, Seth D. & Covitz, Daniel M. & Hancock, Diana, 2000. "Why are bank profits so persistent? The roles of product market competition, informational opacity, and regional/macroeconomic shocks," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(7), pages 1203-1235, July.
- Richard Blundell & Steve Bond, 1995.
"Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models,"
IFS Working Papers
W95/17, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Blundell, Richard & Bond, Stephen, 1998. "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 115-143, August.
- R Blundell & Steven Bond, . "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data model," Economics Papers W14&104., Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Blundell, R. & Bond, S., 1995. "Initial Conditions and Moment Restrictions in Dynamic Panel Data Models," Economics Papers 104, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Douglas D. Evanoff & Diana L. Fortier, 1987. "Reevaluation of the structure-conduct-performance paradigm in banking," Staff Memoranda 87-9, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Shaffer, Sherrill, 1999. "The Competitive Impact of Disclosure Requirements in the Credit Card Industry," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 15(2), pages 183-98, March.
- Arellano, Manuel & Bover, Olympia, 1995.
"Another look at the instrumental variable estimation of error-components models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 29-51, July.
- M Arellano & O Bover, 1990. "Another Look at the Instrumental Variable Estimation of Error-Components Models," CEP Discussion Papers dp0007, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Shaffer, Sherrill, 1989. "Competition in the U.S. banking industry," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 321-323.
- Sherrill Shaffer & James DiSalvo, 1991.
"Conduct in a banking duopoly,"
91-12, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Toolsema, Linda A., 2002. "Competition in the Dutch consumer credit market," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(11), pages 2215-2229, November.
- Joseph P. Hughes & Loretta J. Mester, 1997.
"Bank capitalization and cost: evidence of scale economies in risk management and signaling,"
96-2, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Joseph P. Hughes & Loretta J. Mester, 1998. "Bank Capitalization And Cost: Evidence Of Scale Economies In Risk Management And Signaling," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 80(2), pages 314-325, May.
- Joseph P. Hughes, 1997. "Bank Capitalization and Cost: Evidence of Scale Economies in Risk Management and Signaling," Departmental Working Papers 199601, Rutgers University, Department of Economics.
- Hondroyiannis, George & Lolos, Sarantis & Papapetrou, Evangelia, 1999. "Assessing competitive conditions in the Greek banking system," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 9(4), pages 377-391, November.
- Bourke, Philip, 1989. "Concentration and other determinants of bank profitability in Europe, North America and Australia," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 65-79, March.
- De Bandt, Olivier & Davis, E. Philip, 2000. "Competition, contestability and market structure in European banking sectors on the eve of EMU," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(6), pages 1045-1066, June.
- Frank Windmeijer, 2000. "A finite sample correction for the variance of linear two-step GMM estimators," IFS Working Papers W00/19, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Semih Yildirim & George C. Philippatos, 2003. "Competition And Contestability In Central And Eastern European Banking Markets," Finance 0310004, EconWPA.
- Bikker, Jacob A. & Haaf, Katharina, 2002.
"Competition, concentration and their relationship: An empirical analysis of the banking industry,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 26(11), pages 2191-2214, November.
- J.A. Bikker & K. Haaf, 2001. "Competition, Concentration and their Relationship: an EmpiricalAnalysis of the Banking Industry," DNB Staff Reports (discontinued) 68, Netherlands Central Bank.
- J.A. Bikker & K. Haaf, 2000. "Competition, concentration and their relationship: an empirical analysis of the banking industry," Research Series Supervision (discontinued) 30, Netherlands Central Bank, Directorate Supervision.
- Shaffer, Sherrill, 1993.
"A Test of Competition in Canadian Banking,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 25(1), pages 49-61, February.
- Molyneux, Philip & Thornton, John & Michael Llyod-Williams, D., 1996. "Competition and market contestability in Japanese commercial banking," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 33-45, February.
- Bresnahan, Timothy F., 1989. "Empirical studies of industries with market power," Handbook of Industrial Organization, in: R. Schmalensee & R. Willig (ed.), Handbook of Industrial Organization, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 17, pages 1011-1057 Elsevier.
- Barajas, Adolfo & Steiner, Roberto & Salazar, Natalia, 2000. "The impact of liberalization and foreign investment in Colombia's financial sector," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 63(1), pages 157-196, October.
- Bresnahan, Timothy F., 1982. "The oligopoly solution concept is identified," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 10(1-2), pages 87-92.
- Christos K. Staikouras & Anastasia Koutsomanoli-Fillipaki, 2006. "Competition and Concentration in the New European Banking Landscape," European Financial Management, European Financial Management Association, vol. 12(3), pages 443-482.
- Shaffer, Sherrill, 2004. "Patterns of competition in banking," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 56(4), pages 287-313.
- S. Baranzoni & P. Bianchi & L. Lambertini, 2000. "Market Structure," Working Papers 368, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Heather D. Gibson, 2005. "Greek Banking Profitability: recent developments," Economic Bulletin, Bank of Greece, issue 24, pages 7-25, January.
- Peter Kennedy, 2003. "A Guide to Econometrics, 5th Edition," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 5, volume 1, number 026261183x, June.
- Iwata, Gyoichi, 1974. "Measurement of Conjectural Variations in Oligopoly," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 42(5), pages 947-66, September.
- Lau, Lawrence J., 1982. "On identifying the degree of competitiveness from industry price and output data," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 10(1-2), pages 93-99.
- Corts, Kenneth S., 1998. "Conduct parameters and the measurement of market power," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 88(2), pages 227-250, November.
- Steve Bond, 2002. "Dynamic panel data models: a guide to microdata methods and practice," CeMMAP working papers CWP09/02, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:14038. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.