Has bank consolidation in Korea lessened competition?
This paper examines market concentration and competition in the Korean commercial banking market for the period of 1992-2004. While market concentration decreased due to financial regulation before the Asian financial crisis, the Korean banking industry has become increasingly concentrated in the process of restructuring and consolidation since the crisis. Contrary to a growing concern over market power in Korean banking, this study finds that increased concentration has not lessened competition. The H statistic of the Panzar-Rosse model indicates that the Korean commercial banking market was monopolistically competitive during the pre-crisis period and the post-crisis period with temporary deviation to the level of perfect competition during the crisis period.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Shaffer, Sherrill, 1999. "The Competitive Impact of Disclosure Requirements in the Credit Card Industry," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 15(2), pages 183-98, March.
- Bikker, Jacob A. & Haaf, Katharina, 2002.
"Competition, concentration and their relationship: An empirical analysis of the banking industry,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 26(11), pages 2191-2214, November.
- J.A. Bikker & K. Haaf, 2000. "Competition, concentration and their relationship: an empirical analysis of the banking industry," Research Series Supervision (discontinued) 30, Netherlands Central Bank, Directorate Supervision.
- J.A. Bikker & K. Haaf, 2001. "Competition, Concentration and their Relationship: an EmpiricalAnalysis of the Banking Industry," DNB Staff Reports (discontinued) 68, Netherlands Central Bank.
- Hondroyiannis, George & Lolos, Sarantis & Papapetrou, Evangelia, 1999. "Assessing competitive conditions in the Greek banking system," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 9(4), pages 377-391, November.
- Sherrill Shaffer, 1990.
"A test of competition in Canadian banking,"
90-18, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Shaffer, Sherrill, 2004. "Patterns of competition in banking," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 56(4), pages 287-313.
- Bos, J.W.B. & Koetter, M., 2006.
"Handling losses in translog profit models,"
1433, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- J.W.B. Bos & M. Koetter, 2007. "Handling losses in translog profit models," Working Papers 07-17, Utrecht School of Economics.
- J.W.B. Bos & M. Koetter, 2007. "Handling Losses in Translog Profit Models," Working Papers 17-`1, Utrecht School of Economics.
- Bos, J.W.B. & Koetter, M., 2007. "Handling losses in translog profit models," Research Report 07001, University of Groningen, Research Institute SOM (Systems, Organisations and Management).
- Bresnahan, Timothy F., 1982. "The oligopoly solution concept is identified," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 10(1-2), pages 87-92.
- Jacob Bikker & Laura Spierdijk & Paul Finnie, 2006. "Misspecifiation of the Panzar-Rosse Model: Assessing Competition in the Banking Industry," DNB Working Papers 114, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Gilbert, R Alton, 1984. "Bank Market Structure and Competition: A Survey," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 16(4), pages 617-44, November.
- Lau, Lawrence J., 1982. "On identifying the degree of competitiveness from industry price and output data," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 10(1-2), pages 93-99.
- Alli Nathan & Edwin H. Neave, 1989. "Competition and Contestability in Canada's Financial System: Empirical Results," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 22(3), pages 576-94, August.
- Stijn Claessens & Luc Laeven, 2004.
"What drives bank competition? Some international evidence,"
Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, pages 563-592.
- Claessens, Stijn & Laeven, Luc, 2004. "What Drives Bank Competition? Some International Evidence," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 36(3), pages 563-83, June.
- Claessens, Stijn & Laeven, Luc, 2003. "What drives bank competition? some international evidence," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3113, The World Bank.
- Allen N. Berger & David B. Humphrey, 1990.
"Measurement and efficiency issues in commercial banking,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
151, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Allen N. Berger & David B. Humphrey, 1992. "Measurement and Efficiency Issues in Commercial Banking," NBER Chapters, in: Output Measurement in the Service Sectors, pages 245-300 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hempell, Hannah S., 2002. "Testing for Competition Among German Banks," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 2002,04, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Paul S. Calem & Gerald A. Carlino, 1989.
"The concentration/conduct relationship in bank deposit markets,"
89-26, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Calem, Paul S & Carlino, Gerald A, 1991. "The Concentration/Conduct Relationship in Bank Deposit Markets," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 73(2), pages 268-76, May.
- Molyneux, Phil & Lloyd-Williams, D. M. & Thornton, John, 1994. "Competitive conditions in european banking," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 445-459, May.
- De Bandt, Olivier & Davis, E. Philip, 2000. "Competition, contestability and market structure in European banking sectors on the eve of EMU," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(6), pages 1045-1066, June.
- P. Coccorese, 1998.
"Assessing the competitive conditions in the Italian banking system: some empirical evidence,"
Banca Nazionale del Lavoro Quarterly Review,
Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, vol. 51(205), pages 171-191.
- P. Coccorese, 1998. "Assessing the competitive conditions in the Italian banking system: some empirical evidence," BNL Quarterly Review, Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, vol. 51(205), pages 171-191.
- Shaffer, Sherrill, 2002. "Competitive bank pricing and adverse selection, with implications for testing the SCP hypothesis," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 633-647.
- Gruben, William C. & McComb, Robert P., 2003. "Privatization, competition, and supercompetition in the Mexican commercial banking system," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 229-249, February.
- Gelos, R. G. & Roldos, Jorge, 2004.
"Consolidation and market structure in emerging market banking systems,"
Emerging Markets Review,
Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 39-59, March.
- Gaston Gelos & Jorge Roldos, 2002. "Consolidation and Market Structure in Emerging Market Banking Systems," IMF Working Papers 02/186, International Monetary Fund.
- Molyneux, Philip & Thornton, John & Michael Llyod-Williams, D., 1996. "Competition and market contestability in Japanese commercial banking," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 33-45, February.
- Park, Kang H. & Weber, William L., 2006. "Profitability of Korean banks: Test of market structure versus efficient structure," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 58(3), pages 222-239.
- Berg, Sigbjorn Atle & Kim, Moshe, 1998.
"Banks as Multioutput Oligopolies: An Empirical Evaluation of the Retail and Corporate Banking Markets,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 30(2), pages 135-53, May.
- Sigbjorn Atle Berg & Moshe Kim, 1996. "Banks as multioutput oligopolies: an empirical evaluation of the retail and corporate banking markets," Proceedings 503, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Shaffer, Sherrill, 1989. "Competition in the U.S. banking industry," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 321-323.
- Bresnahan, Timothy F., 1989. "Empirical studies of industries with market power," Handbook of Industrial Organization, in: R. Schmalensee & R. Willig (ed.), Handbook of Industrial Organization, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 17, pages 1011-1057 Elsevier.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:quaeco:v:49:y:2009:i:2:p:651-667. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.