Competition in MENA countries banking markets
This study examines the banking power in a number of highly concentrated banking industries. In particular, this paper tests the competitive conditions in the banking industries of six Middle Eastern and North African (MENA) countries for the period from 1998 to 2007. Using the new industrial organisation literature methodology, our results reveal that the banking market structure can be characterised as monopolistic competition. The result of this study is necessary for policy makers in MENA region. For them this is a signal to review their policy of interference and involvement in changes in the market structure of the banking markets and to be cautious of the process of consolidation and increasing concentration. Our results are rigorous under a variety of specification controlling for bank size, risk and a number of estimation techniques including static and dynamic data analysis (Fixed or Random effects and the Generalised Methods of Moment).
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 5 (2012)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.inderscience.com/browse/index.php?journalID=76|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nicola Cetorelli, 2001.
"Does bank concentration lead to concentration in industrial sectors?,"
Working Paper Series
WP-01-01, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Nicola Cetorelli, 2002. "Does bank concentration lead to concentration in industrial sectors?," Proceedings 818, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Molyneux, Phil & Lloyd-Williams, D. M. & Thornton, John, 1994. "Competitive conditions in european banking," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 445-459, May.
- Semih Yildirim & George C. Philippatos, 2003. "Competition And Contestability In Central And Eastern European Banking Markets," Finance 0310004, EconWPA.
- Neven, Damien & Roller, Lars-Hendrik, 1999. "An aggregate structural model of competition in the European banking industry," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 17(7), pages 1059-1074, October.
- Gelos, R. G. & Roldos, Jorge, 2004.
"Consolidation and market structure in emerging market banking systems,"
Emerging Markets Review,
Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 39-59, March.
- R. G Gelos & Jorge Roldos, 2002. "Consolidation and Market Structure in Emerging Market Banking Systems," IMF Working Papers 02/186, International Monetary Fund.
- Stijn Claessens, 2009.
"Competition in the Financial Sector; Overview of Competition Policies,"
IMF Working Papers
09/45, International Monetary Fund.
- Stijn Claessens, 2009. "Competition in the Financial Sector: Overview of Competition Policies," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 24(1), pages 83-118, April.
- Barbara Casu & Claudia Girardone, 2006. "Bank Competition, Concentration And Efficiency In The Single European Market," Manchester School, University of Manchester, vol. 74(4), pages 441-468, 07.
- Martinez Peria, Maria Soledad & Mody, Ashoka, 2004.
"How foreign participation and market concentration impact bank spreads : evidence from Latin America,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
3210, The World Bank.
- Maria Soledad Martinez Peria & Ashoka Mody, 2004. "How foreign participation and market concentration impact bank spreads: evidence from Latin America," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, pages 511-542.
- Martinez Peria, Maria Soledad & Mody, Ashoka, 2004. "How Foreign Participation and Market Concentration Impact Bank Spreads: Evidence from Latin America," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 36(3), pages 511-37, June.
- Coccorese, Paolo, 2004. "Banking competition and macroeconomic conditions: a disaggregate analysis," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 203-219, July.
- Stephen A. Rhoades, 1977. "Structure-performance studies in banking: a summary and evaluation," Staff Studies 92, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Lau, Lawrence J., 1982. "On identifying the degree of competitiveness from industry price and output data," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 10(1-2), pages 93-99.
- Hartmann, Philipp & Straetmans, Stefan & de Vries, Casper, 2005.
"Banking system stability: a cross-Atlantic perspective,"
Working Paper Series
0527, European Central Bank.
- Philipp Hartmann & Stefan Straetmans & Casper de Vries, 2007. "Banking System Stability. A Cross-Atlantic Perspective," NBER Chapters, in: The Risks of Financial Institutions, pages 133-192 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Philipp Hartmann & Stefan Straetmans & Casper G. De Vries, 2005. "Banking System Stability: A Cross-Atlantic Perspective," NBER Working Papers 11698, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kupukile Mlambo & Mthuli Ncube, 2011. "Competition and Efficiency in the Banking Sector in South Africa," African Development Review, African Development Bank, vol. 23(1), pages 4-15.
- Jarunee Wonglimpiyarat, 2008. "The structural model of competition in the Thai banking industry," International Journal of Financial Services Management, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 3(3/4), pages 255-268.
- Turk-Ariss, Rima, 2009. "Competitive behavior in Middle East and North Africa banking systems," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 693-710, May.
- Yuan, Yuan, 2006. "The state of competition of the Chinese banking industry," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 519-534, June.
- Jacob A. Bikker & Laura Spierdijk & Pieter Jelle van der Sluis, 2004.
"Market Impact Costs of Institutional Equity Trades,"
DNB Working Papers
001, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Bikker, Jacob A. & Spierdijk, Laura & van der Sluis, Pieter Jelle, 2007. "Market impact costs of institutional equity trades," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(6), pages 974-1000, October.
- Jacob A. Bikker & Laura Spierdijk & Pieter Jelle van der Sluis, 2004. "Market Impact Costs of Institutional Equity Trades," DNB Staff Reports (discontinued) 125, Netherlands Central Bank.
- Al-Muharrami, Saeed & Matthews, Kent & Khabari, Yusuf, 2006.
"Market Structure and Competitive Conditions in the Arab GCC Banking System,"
Cardiff Economics Working Papers
E2006/8, Cardiff University, Cardiff Business School, Economics Section.
- Al-Muharrami, Saeed & Matthews, Kent & Khabari, Yusuf, 2006. "Market structure and competitive conditions in the Arab GCC banking system," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(12), pages 3487-3501, December.
- Agnes A Belaisch, 2003. "Do Brazilian Banks Compete?," IMF Working Papers 03/113, International Monetary Fund.
- Gianni De Nicolo & Abu M. Jalal & John H. Boyd, 2006. "Bank Risk-Taking and Competition Revisited; New Theory and New Evidence," IMF Working Papers 06/297, International Monetary Fund.
- Molyneux, Philip & Thornton, John & Michael Llyod-Williams, D., 1996. "Competition and market contestability in Japanese commercial banking," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 33-45, February.
- Hondroyiannis, George & Lolos, Sarantis & Papapetrou, Evangelia, 1999. "Assessing competitive conditions in the Greek banking system," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 9(4), pages 377-391, November.
- Allen Berger & Leora Klapper & Rima Turk-Ariss, 2009.
"Bank Competition and Financial Stability,"
Journal of Financial Services Research,
Springer;Western Finance Association, vol. 35(2), pages 99-118, April.
- Piritta Sorsa, 1997. "The GATS Agreementon Financial Services; A Modest Start to Multilateral Liberalization," IMF Working Papers 97/55, International Monetary Fund.
- Anzoategui, Diego & Soledad Martinez Peria, Maria & Rocha,Roberto, 2010.
"Bank competition in the Middle East and northern Africa region,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
5363, The World Bank.
- Anzoategui Diego & Martinez Peria Maria S. & Rocha Roberto R, 2010. "Bank Competition in the Middle East and Northern Africa Region," Review of Middle East Economics and Finance, De Gruyter, vol. 6(2), pages 26-48, November.
- T. S. Breusch & A. R. Pagan, 1980.
"The Lagrange Multiplier Test and its Applications to Model Specification in Econometrics,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 47(1), pages 239-253.
- Breusch, T.S. & Pagan, A.R., . "The Lagrange multiplier test and its applications to model specification in econometrics," CORE Discussion Papers RP 412, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Juan Fernandez de Guevara & Joaquin Maudos, 2009.
"Regional Financial Development and Bank Competition: Effects on Firms' Growth,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 43(2), pages 211-228.
- Fernandez de Guevara, Juan & Maudos, Joaquin, 2009. "Regional Financial Development and Bank Competition: Effects on Firms' Growth," MPRA Paper 15256, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Shaffer, Sherrill & DiSalvo, James, 1994.
"Conduct in a banking duopoly,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 18(6), pages 1063-1082, December.
- H. Semih Yildirim, 2007. "Competition and contestability in Central and Eastern European banking markets," Managerial Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 33(3), pages 195-209, April.
- Yu Sun, 2011. "Recent Developments in European Bank Competition," IMF Working Papers 11/146, International Monetary Fund.
- Angelini, P. & Cetorelli, N., 2000.
"Bank Competition and Regulatory Reform: The Case of the Italian Banking Industry,"
380, Banca Italia - Servizio di Studi.
- Paolo Angelini & Nicola Cetorelli, 2000. "Bank Competition and Regulatory Reform: The Case of the Italian Banking Industry," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 380, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Nicola Cetorelli & Paolo Angelini, 1999. "Bank competition and regulatory reform: the case of the Italian banking industry," Working Paper Series WP-99-32, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Martin Cihak & Simon Wolfe & Klaus Schaeck, 2006. "Are More Competitive Banking Systems More Stable?," IMF Working Papers 06/143, International Monetary Fund.
- Berger, Allen N & Hannan, Timothy H, 1989.
"The Price-Concentration Relationship in Banking,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 71(2), pages 291-99, May.
- John H. Boyd & Gianni De Nicolã, 2005. "The Theory of Bank Risk Taking and Competition Revisited," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 60(3), pages 1329-1343, 06.
- Shaffer, Sherrill, 1993.
"A Test of Competition in Canadian Banking,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 25(1), pages 49-61, February.
- David Hauner & Shanaka J Peiris, 2005. "Bank Efficiency and Competition in Low-Income Countries; The Case of Uganda," IMF Working Papers 05/240, International Monetary Fund.
- Bresnahan, Timothy F., 1982. "The oligopoly solution concept is identified," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 10(1-2), pages 87-92.
- Alli Nathan & Edwin H. Neave, 1989. "Competition and Contestability in Canada's Financial System: Empirical Results," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 22(3), pages 576-94, August.
- Shaffer, Sherrill, 1989. "Competition in the U.S. banking industry," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 321-323.
- Goddard, John & Wilson, John O.S., 2009. "Competition in banking: A disequilibrium approach," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(12), pages 2282-2292, December.
- International Monetary Fund, 2005. "Competition in Indian Banking," IMF Working Papers 05/141, International Monetary Fund.
- Canhoto, Ana, 2004. "Portuguese banking: A structural model of competition in the deposits market," Review of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(1-2), pages 41-63.
- Hannan, Timothy H & Berger, Allen N, 1991. "The Rigidity of Prices: Evidence from the Banking Industry," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(4), pages 938-45, September.
- Samy Ben Naceur & Mohammed Omran, 2008. "The Effects of Bank Regulations, Competition and Financial Reforms on MENA Banks’ Profitability," Working Papers 449, Economic Research Forum, revised Oct 2008.
- Iwata, Gyoichi, 1974. "Measurement of Conjectural Variations in Oligopoly," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 42(5), pages 947-66, September.
- Olson, Dennis & Zoubi, Taisier A., 2011. "Efficiency and bank profitability in MENA countries," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 94-110, June.
- Christos K. Staikouras & Anastasia Koutsomanoli-Fillipaki, 2006. "Competition and Concentration in the New European Banking Landscape," European Financial Management, European Financial Management Association, vol. 12(3), pages 443-482.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ids:ijfsmg:v:5:y:2012:i:3:p:272-301. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Darren Simpson)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.