The effects of dynamic feedbacks on LS and MM estimator accuracy in panel data models
This discussion paper led to a publication in the 'Journal of Econometrics' 132(2), 409-44. The finite sample behaviour is analysed of particular least squares (LS) andmethod of moments (MM) estimators in panel data models with individual effectsand both a lagged dependent variabIe regressor and another explanatory variabIewhich may be affected by lagged feedbacks from the dependent variabIe. Asymp-totic expansions indicate that the order of magnitude of bias of (generalized) MMestimators tends to increase with the number of moment conditions exploited. Forvarious estimation procedures we examine the analytical effects of feedbacks andother model characteristics such as prominence of individual effects. Simulation re-sults corroborate our theoretical findings and show that in small samples of modelswith dynamic feedbacks none of the techniques examined dominates. However, asimple bias corrected LS estimator which presupposes strict exogeneity is found tobe rather robliSt, showing often smaller root mean squared errors than GMM.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alonso-Borrego, Cesar & Arellano, Manuel, 1999.
"Symmetrically Normalized Instrumental-Variable Estimation Using Panel Data,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 17(1), pages 36-49, January.
- Alonso-Borrego, César & Arrellano, Manuel, 1996. "Symmetrically normalized instrumental-variable estimation using panel data," UC3M Working papers. Economics 4098, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Departamento de Economía.
- Arellano, Manuel & Bover, Olympia, 1995.
"Another look at the instrumental variable estimation of error-components models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 29-51, July.
- M Arellano & O Bover, 1990. "Another Look at the Instrumental Variable Estimation of Error-Components Models," CEP Discussion Papers dp0007, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Koenker, Roger & Machado, Jose A. F., 1999. "GMM inference when the number of moment conditions is large," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 93(2), pages 327-344, December.
- Javier Alvarez & Manuel Arellano, 2003.
"The Time Series and Cross-Section Asymptotics of Dynamic Panel Data Estimators,"
Econometric Society, vol. 71(4), pages 1121-1159, 07.
- Alvarez, J. & Arellano, M., 1998. "The Time Series and Cross-Section Asymptotics of Dynamic Panel Data Estimators," Papers 9808, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Y Financieros-.
- Richard Blundell & Steve Bond & Frank Windmeijer, 2000. "Estimation in dynamic panel data models: improving on the performance of the standard GMM estimator," IFS Working Papers W00/12, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Maurice J.G. Bun & Jan F. Kiviet, 2002.
"On the Diminishing Returns of Higher-order Terms in Asymptotic Expansions of Bias,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
02-099/4, Tinbergen Institute, revised 24 Oct 2002.
- Bun, Maurice J. G. & Kiviet, Jan F., 2003. "On the diminishing returns of higher-order terms in asymptotic expansions of bias," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 79(2), pages 145-152, May.
- R Blundell & Steven Bond, "undated".
"Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data model,"
W14&104., Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Blundell, Richard & Bond, Stephen, 1998. "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 115-143, August.
- Blundell, R. & Bond, S., 1995. "Initial Conditions and Moment Restrictions in Dynamic Panel Data Models," Economics Papers 104, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Richard Blundell & Steve Bond, 1995. "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models," IFS Working Papers W95/17, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- van Giersbergen, Noud P A & Kiviet, Jan F, 1996. "Bootstrapping a Stable AD Model: Weak vs Strong Exogeneity," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 58(4), pages 631-656, November.
- Kiviet, Jan F., 1995.
"On bias, inconsistency, and efficiency of various estimators in dynamic panel data models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 53-78, July.
- Tom Doan, "undated". "LSDVC: RATS procedure to estimate a dynamic FE model with correction for bias," Statistical Software Components RTS00111, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Ahn, Seung C. & Schmidt, Peter, 1995. "Efficient estimation of models for dynamic panel data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 5-27, July.
- Arellano, Manuel, 2003. "Panel Data Econometrics," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199245291.
- Arellano, M. & Honore, B., 2000.
"Panel Data Models: Some Recent Developments,"
0016, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Y Financieros-.
- Manuel Arellano & Stephen Bond, 1991.
"Some Tests of Specification for Panel Data: Monte Carlo Evidence and an Application to Employment Equations,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 58(2), pages 277-297.
- Tom Doan, "undated". "RATS program to replicate Arellano-Bond 1991 dynamic panel," Statistical Software Components RTZ00169, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Judson, Ruth A. & Owen, Ann L., 1999. "Estimating dynamic panel data models: a guide for macroeconomists," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 9-15, October.
- Anderson, T. W. & Hsiao, Cheng, 1982. "Formulation and estimation of dynamic models using panel data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 47-82, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:econom:v:132:y:2006:i:2:p:409-444. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.