Testing for the Cointegrating Rank of a VAR Process with Level Shift and Trend Break
A test for the cointegrating rank of a vector autoregressive (VAR) process with a possible shift and broken linear trend is proposed. The break point is assumed to be known. Our test is not a likelihood ratio test but the deterministic terms including the broken trends are removed first by a generalized least squares procedure. Then, a likelihood ratio-type test is applied to the adjusted series. The asymptotic null distribution of the test is derived and it is shown by a Monte Carlo experiment that the test has better small-sample properties in many cases than a corresponding Gaussian likelihood ratio test for the cointegrating rank. Moreover, response surface techniques can be used to easily obtain p-values of the test for any possible break date. Copyright 2007 The Authors
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 29 (2008)
Issue (Month): 2 (03)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0143-9782|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/subs.asp?ref=0143-9782|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Trenkler, Carsten, 2004.
"Determining p-values for Systems Cointegration Tests With a Prior Adjustment for Deterministic Terms,"
2004,37, Humboldt-Universität Berlin, Center for Applied Statistics and Economics (CASE).
- Carsten Trenkler, 2008. "Determining p-values for systems cointegration tests with a prior adjustment for deterministic terms," Computational Statistics, Springer, vol. 23(1), pages 19-39, January.
- Attfield, Clifford & Temple, Jonathan, 2004.
"Measuring Trend Output: How Useful Are the Great Ratios?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4796, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Cliff L.F. Attfield & Jonathan R.W. Temple, 2003. "Measuring trend output: how useful are the Great Ratios?," Bristol Economics Discussion Papers 03/555, Department of Economics, University of Bristol, UK.
- A. Scorcu, 2002.
"On the Time Stability of the Output-Capital Ratio,"
434, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Saikkonen, Pentti & Lütkepohl, Helmut, 1997.
"Local power of likelihood ratio tests for the cointegrating rank of a VAR process,"
SFB 373 Discussion Papers
1997,58, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Saikkonen, Pentti & L tkepohl, Helmut, 1999. "Local Power Of Likelihood Ratio Tests For The Cointegrating Rank Of A Var Process," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 15(01), pages 50-78, February.
- Saikkonen, Pentti & L tkepohl, Helmut & Trenkler, Carsten, 2006. "Break Date Estimation For Var Processes With Level Shift With An Application To Cointegration Testing," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 22(01), pages 15-68, February.
- Søren Johansen & Rocco Mosconi & Bent Nielsen, 2000.
"Cointegration analysis in the presence of structural breaks in the deterministic trend,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 3(2), pages 216-249.
- Bent Nielsen, 2000. "Cointegration Analysis in the Presence of Structural Breaks in the Deterministic Trend," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 1494, Econometric Society.
- Jurgen A. Doornik, 1998.
"Approximations To The Asymptotic Distributions Of Cointegration Tests,"
Journal of Economic Surveys,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(5), pages 573-593, December.
- Doornik, Jurgen A, 1998. " Approximations to the Asymptotic Distributions of Cointegration Tests," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(5), pages 573-593, December.
- Toda, Hiro Y, 1994. "Finite Sample Properties of Likelihood Ratio Tests for Cointegrating Ranks when Linear Trends are Present," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 76(1), pages 66-79, February.
- Robert G. King & Charles I. Plosser & James H. Stock & Mark W. Watson, 1991.
"Stochastic trends and economic fluctuations,"
Working Paper Series, Macroeconomic Issues
91-4, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Lütkepohl, Helmut & Saikkonen, Pentti & Trenkler, Carsten, 2001.
"Testing for the cointegrating rank of a VAR process with level shift at unknown time,"
SFB 373 Discussion Papers
2001,63, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Helmut Lütkepohl & Pentti Saikkonen & Carsten Trenkler, 2004. "Testing for the Cointegrating Rank of a VAR Process with Level Shift at Unknown Time," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 72(2), pages 647-662, 03.
- Peter F. Christoffersen & Lorenzo Giorgianni, 1999. "Interest Rate Arbitrage in Currency Baskets; Forecasting Weights and Measuring Risk," IMF Working Papers 99/16, International Monetary Fund.
- Saikkonen, Pentti & Lutkepohl, Helmut, 2000.
"Testing for the Cointegrating Rank of a VAR Process with Structural Shifts,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 18(4), pages 451-464, October.
- Saikkonen, Pentti & Lütkepohl, Helmut, 2001. "Testing for the cointegrating rank of a VAR process with structural shifts," SFB 373 Discussion Papers 1998,82, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- LÃ¼tkepohl,Helmut & KrÃ¤tzig,Markus (ed.), 2004. "Applied Time Series Econometrics," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521839198, December.
- Perron, Pierre, 1989.
"The Great Crash, the Oil Price Shock, and the Unit Root Hypothesis,"
Econometric Society, vol. 57(6), pages 1361-1401, November.
- Perron, P, 1988. "The Great Crash, The Oil Price Shock And The Unit Root Hypothesis," Papers 338, Princeton, Department of Economics - Econometric Research Program.
- Kirstin Hubrich & Helmut Lutkepohl & Pentti Saikkonen, 2001.
"A Review Of Systems Cointegration Tests,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 20(3), pages 247-318.
- Perron, Pierre, 1990.
"Testing for a Unit Root in a Time Series with a Changing Mean,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 8(2), pages 153-162, April.
- Perron, P., 1989. "Testing For A Unit Root In A Time Series With A Changing Mean," Papers 347, Princeton, Department of Economics - Econometric Research Program.
- LÃ¼tkepohl,Helmut & KrÃ¤tzig,Markus (ed.), 2004. "Applied Time Series Econometrics," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521547871, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bla:jtsera:v:29:y:2008:i:2:p:331-358. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.