Agricultural price transmission across space and commodities during price bubbles
This paper analyses the horizontal transmission of cereal price shocks both across different market places and across different commodities. The analysis is carried out using Italian and international weekly spot (cash) price data and concentrating the attention on years 2006-2010, a period of generalized exceptional exuberance and consequent rapid drop of agricultural prices. The work aims at investigating how price transmission may be affected during price bubbles. The properties of price time series are firstly explored to assess which data generation process may have eventually produced the observed patterns. Secondly, the interdependence across prices is specified and estimated adopting appropriate cointegration techniques.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 44 (2013)
Issue (Month): 1 (01)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0169-5150|
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/subs.asp?ref=0169-5150|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Anning Wei & Raymond M. Leuthold, 1998. "Long Agricultural Futures Prices: ARCH, Long Memory, or Chaos Processes?," Finance 9805001, EconWPA.
- Djuric, Ivan & Goetz, Linde & Glauben, Thomas, 2011. "Influences Of The Governmental Market Interventions On Wheat Markets In Serbia During The Food Crisis 2007/2008," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 114438, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Listorti, Giulia & Esposti, Roberto, 2012. "Horizontal Price Transmission in Agricultural Markets: Fundamental Concepts and Open Empirical Issues," Bio-based and Applied Economics Journal, Italian Association of Agricultural and Applied Economics (AIEAA), issue 1, April.
- N. Lesca, 2011. "Introduction," Post-Print halshs-00640604, HAL.
- Rico Ihle & Bernhard Br�mmer & Stanley R. Thompson, 2012. "Structural change in European calf markets: decoupling and the blue tongue disease," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 39(1), pages 157-180, February.
- C. Dominguez-Pery, 2011. "Introduction," Post-Print halshs-00740570, HAL.
- Phillips, Peter C.B. & Magdalinos, Tassos, 2009.
"Unit Root And Cointegrating Limit Theory When Initialization Is In The Infinite Past,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 25(06), pages 1682-1715, December.
- Peter C.B. Phillips & Tassos Magdalinos, 2008. "Unit Root and Cointegrating Limit Theory When Initialization Is in the Infinite Past," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1655, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Engsted, Tom, 2006. "Explosive bubbles in the cointegrated VAR model," Finance Research Letters, Elsevier, vol. 3(2), pages 154-162, June.
- Søren Johansen & Rocco Mosconi & Bent Nielsen, 2000.
"Cointegration analysis in the presence of structural breaks in the deterministic trend,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 3(2), pages 216-249.
- Bent Nielsen & Soren Johansen & Rocco Mosconi, 2000. "Cointegration analysis in the presence of structural breaks in the deterministic trend," Economics Series Working Papers 2000-W22, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Bent Nielsen, 2000. "Cointegration Analysis in the Presence of Structural Breaks in the Deterministic Trend," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 1494, Econometric Society.
- Evans, George W, 1991. "Pitfalls in Testing for Explosive Bubbles in Asset Prices," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(4), pages 922-30, September.
- Peter C.B.Phillips & Jun Yu, 2009.
"Dating the Timeline of Financial Bubbles During the Subprime Crisis,"
CoFie-07-2009, Sim Kee Boon Institute for Financial Economics.
- Peter C. B. Phillips & Jun Yu, 2011. "Dating the timeline of financial bubbles during the subprime crisis," Quantitative Economics, Econometric Society, vol. 2(3), pages 455-491, November.
- Peter C. B. Phillips & Jun Yu, 2009. "Dating the Timeline of Financial Bubbles During the Subprime Crisis," Finance Working Papers 23051, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Peter C. B. Phillips & Jun Yu, 2010. "Dating the Timeline of Financial Bubbles during the Subprime Crisis," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1770, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Peter C. B. Phillips & Jun Yu, 2009. "Dating the Timeline of Financial Bubbles During the Subprime Crisis," Working Papers 18-2009, Singapore Management University, School of Economics.
- Irwin, Scott H. & Good, Darrel L., 2009. "Market Instability in a New Era of Corn, Soybean, and Wheat Prices," Choices, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 24(1).
- Bent Nielsen, 2005.
"Analysis of co-explosive processes,"
2005-W08, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Philip J. Dawson & Ana I. Sanju�n & Ben White, 2006. "Structural Breaks and the Relationship between Barley and Wheat Futures Prices on the London International Financial Futures Exchange," Review of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 28(4), pages 585-594.
- Diba, Behzad T & Grossman, Herschel I, 1988. "Explosive Rational Bubbles in Stock Prices?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 78(3), pages 520-30, June.
- H. Dewachter & R. Houssa & P.R. Kaltwasser, 2011. "Introduction," Review of Business and Economic Literature, Intersentia, vol. 56(4), pages 378-382, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bla:agecon:v:44:y:2013:i:1:p:125-139. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.