Unit Root and Cointegrating Limit Theory When Initialization Is in the Infinite Past
It is well known that unit root limit distributions are sensitive to initial conditions in the distant past. If the distant past initialization is extended to the infinite past, the initial condition dominates the limit theory producing a faster rate of convergence, a limiting Cauchy distribution for the least squares coefficient and a limit normal distribution for the t ratio. This amounts to the tail of the unit root process wagging the dog of the unit root limit theory. These simple results apply in the case of a univariate autoregression with no intercept. The limit theory for vector unit root regression and cointegrating regression is affected but is no longer dominated by infinite past initializations. The latter contribute to the limiting distribution of the least squares estimator and produce a singularity in the limit theory, but do not change the principal rate of convergence. Usual cointegrating regression theory and inference continues to hold in spite of the degeneracy in the limit theory and is therefore robust to initial conditions that extend to the infinite past.
|Date of creation:||May 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Econometric Theory (December 2009), 25(6): 1682-1715|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (203) 432-3702
Fax: (203) 432-6167
Web page: http://cowles.econ.yale.edu/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Cowles Foundation, Yale University, Box 208281, New Haven, CT 06520-8281 USA|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Elliott, Graham & Muller, Ulrich K., 2006. "Minimizing the impact of the initial condition on testing for unit roots," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 135(1-2), pages 285-310.
- Phillips, Peter C.B. & Magdalinos, Tassos, 2008.
"Limit Theory For Explosively Cointegrated Systems,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 24(04), pages 865-887, August.
- Harvey, David I. & Leybourne, Stephen J. & Taylor, A.M. Robert, 2009.
"Unit Root Testing In Practice: Dealing With Uncertainty Over The Trend And Initial Condition,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 25(03), pages 587-636, June.
- David I. Harvey & Stephen J. Leybourne & A. M. Robert Taylor, 2007. "Unit root testing in practice: dealing with uncertainty over the trend and initial condition," Discussion Papers 07/03, University of Nottingham, Granger Centre for Time Series Econometrics.
- Ulrich K. M¸ller & Graham Elliott, 2003. "Tests for Unit Roots and the Initial Condition," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(4), pages 1269-1286, 07.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cwl:cwldpp:1655. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Glena Ames)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.