The Resources and Governance of Non-Governmental Organizations in Uganda
Using original survey data, we document the activities, resources, and governance structure of NGOs operating in Uganda. The NGO sector is funded primarily by international non-governmental organizations and bilateral donors. We find large differences in size and funding across NGOs, with only a few NGOs attracting most of the funding. Most NGOs are small and underfunded and focus on raising awareness and advocacy. Few NGOs are faith-based. Most screening and monitoring is done by grant agencies. Some monitoring is also done internally by members and trustees. Few respondents were able to provide coherent financial accounts. Reporting requirements appear onerous given the limited organizational capacity of Ugandan NGOs.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Timothy Besley & Maitreesh Ghatak, 1999.
"Public-Private Partnership for the Provision of Public Goods: Theory and an Application to NGOs,"
STICERD - Development Economics Papers - From 2008 this series has been superseded by Economic Organisation and Public Policy Discussion Papers
17, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Timothy Besley & Maitreesh Ghatak, 1999. "Public-private partnership for the provision of public goods : theory and an application to NGOs," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 2162, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Arne Bigsten & Paul Collier & Stefan Dercon & Marcel Fafchamps & Bernard Gauthier & Jan Willem Gunning & Abena Oduro & Remco Oostendorp & Cathy Patillo & Måns S–derbom & Francis Teal & Albert Zeufack, 2003.
"Credit Constraints in Manufacturing Enterprises in Africa,"
Journal of African Economies,
Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 12(1), pages 104-125, March.
- Arne Bigsten & Paul Collier & Stefan Dercon & Marcel Fafchamps & Bernard Gauthier & Jan Willem Gunning & Måns Söderbom & Abena Oduro & Remco Oostendorp & Catherine Pattillo & Francis Teal & Albert Zeu, 2000. "Credit constraints in manufacturing enterprises in Africa," CSAE Working Paper Series 2000-24, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- R. Hopkins & C.D. Scott, 1999. "The Economics of Non-Governmental Organisations," STICERD - Development Economics Papers - From 2008 this series has been superseded by Economic Organisation and Public Policy Discussion Papers 15, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Abigail Barr & Marcel Fafchamps, 2004.
"A Client-Community Assessment of the NGO Sector in Uganda,"
Development and Comp Systems
- Abigail Barr & Marcel Fafchamps, 2006. "A client-community assessment of the NGO sector in Uganda," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(4), pages 611-639.
- Abigail Barr & Marcel Fafchamps, 2004. "A client-community assessment of the NGO sector in Uganda," CSAE Working Paper Series 2004-23, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Fafchamps Marcel, 2002.
"Spontaneous Market Emergence,"
The B.E. Journal of Theoretical Economics,
De Gruyter, vol. 2(1), pages 1-37, June.
- Platteau, Jean-Philippe & Gaspart, Frederic, 2003. "The Risk of Resource Misappropriation in Community-Driven Development," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 31(10), pages 1687-1703, October.
- Leonard, Kenneth L., 2002. "When both states and markets fail: asymmetric information and the role of NGOs in African health care," International Review of Law and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 61-80, July.
- Ebrahim, Alnoor, 2003. "Accountability In Practice: Mechanisms for NGOs," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 31(5), pages 813-829, May.
- Colin Scott & R. Hopkins, 1999. "The economics of non-governmental organisations," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 6672, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- John Bennett & Elisabetta Iossa & Gabriella Legrenzi, 2003. "The Role of Commercial Non-profit Organizations in the Provision of Public Services," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 19(2), pages 335-347, Summer.
- Reinikka, Ritva & Svensson, Jakob, 2004. "Working for God?," CEPR Discussion Papers 4214, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Charles H. Kennedy, 1999. "Reconsidering the Relationship between the State, Donors, and NGOs in Bangladesh," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 38(4), pages 489-510.
- Azam, Jean-Paul & Laffont, Jean-Jacques, 2003. "Contracting for aid," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 70(1), pages 25-58, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwpdc:0409047. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.