Getting Doctors to Do Their Best: The Roles of Ability and Motivation in Health Care Quality
Adherence to medical protocol (quality) is low in most developing countries. We show that, although the differences in knowledge of protocol among doctors in Arusha region of Tanzania are explained by years of training, the differences in actual adherence to protocol and the gap between knowledge and actual adherence are best understood by examining the types of organizations in which these doctors work. These results suggest that some organizations are better at getting doctors to perform at capacity and that understanding the link between organizational structure and protocol adherence is important in any attempt to increase the quality of care.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Schultz, T. Paul & Tansel, Aysit, 1997.
"Wage and labor supply effects of illness in Cote d'Ivoire and Ghana: instrumental variable estimates for days disabled,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 53(2), pages 251-286, August.
- Schultz, T-P, 1996. "Wage and Labor Supply effects of Illness in Cote d'Ivoire and Ghana : Instrumental Variable Estimates for Days Disabled," Papers 757, Yale - Economic Growth Center.
- Leonard, Kenneth L., 2002. "When both states and markets fail: asymmetric information and the role of NGOs in African health care," International Review of Law and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 61-80, July.
- Edward Miguel & Michael Kremer, 2004. "Worms: Identifying Impacts on Education and Health in the Presence of Treatment Externalities," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 72(1), pages 159-217, 01.
- Tomas Philipson, 1996. "Private Vaccination and Public Health: An Empirical Examination for U.S. Measles," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 31(3), pages 611-630.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:uwp:jhriss:v:42:y:2007:i3:p682-700. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.