A client-community assessment of the NGO sector in Uganda
Using original data from client-community assessments, we examine motivations in the Ugandan NGO sector. In general, client-community satisfaction with NGO interventions is high, even though some NGO staff are viewed as unresponsive, underskilled, or self-serving. We find evidence that NGOs endeavour to redress the balance between rich and poor, although more remote communities suffer neglect, possibly for cost reasons. NGOs are less inclined to maintain a permanent presence in more remote and poorer client-communities, which impacts negatively on their assessment scores. We also find evidence that NGOs too often operate in the same location, resulting in some duplication of effort. Finally, results indicate that community participation enhances satisfaction.
Volume (Year): 42 (2006)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/FJDS20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/FJDS20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sharma, Manohar & Zeller, Manfred, 1999. "Placement and Outreach of Group-Based Credit Organizations: The Cases of ASA, BRAC, and PROSHIKA in Bangladesh," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 27(12), pages 2123-2136, December.
- Marcel Fafchamps & Trudy Owens, 2006. "Is International Funding Crowding Out Charitable Contributions in African NGOs?," Economics Series Working Papers GPRG-WPS-055, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Edward E. Glaeser & Bruce Sacerdote & Jose A. Scheinkman, 1995.
"Crime and Social Interactions,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1738, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Abigail Barr & Marcel Fafchamps & Trudy Owens, 2004.
"The Resources and Governance of Non-Governmental Organizations in Uganda,"
Development and Comp Systems
- Abigail Barr & Marcel Fafchamps, 2004. "The Resources and Governance of Non-Governmental Organizations in Uganda," Economics Series Working Papers WPS/2004-06, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Abigail Barr & Marcel Fafchamps & Trudy Owens, 2004. "The Resources and Governance of Non-Governmental Organizations in Uganda," CSAE Working Paper Series 2004-06, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:jdevst:v:42:y:2006:i:4:p:611-639. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.