A client-community assessment of the NGO sector in Uganda
Using original survey data on beneficiary assessment, we examine the performance of the NGO sector in Uganda. In general satisfaction with NGO intervention is high. We find evidence that NGOs endeavour to redress the balance between rich and poor communities but also that NGOs neglect isolated communities, possibly for cost reasons, and that the accessibility of NGOs to beneficiary communities is lower in poor communities. These factors significantly reduce client-community satisfaction with NGOS. Levels of NGO induced community participation in decision making also vary, with some evidence that participation has an effect on community satisfaction. Some NGO staff are perceived as unresponsive, less than good at what they do, and self-serving, and these perceptions also have a negative impact on community satisfaction.
|Date of creation:||2004|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Manor Road, Oxford, OX1 3UQ|
Phone: +44-(0)1865 271084
Fax: +44-(0)1865 281447
Web page: http://www.csae.ox.ac.uk/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Edward L. Glaeser & Bruce Sacerdote & José A. Scheinkman, 1996.
"Crime and Social Interactions,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 111(2), pages 507-548.
- Edward E. Glaeser & Bruce Sacerdote & Jose A. Scheinkman, 1995. "Crime and Social Interactions," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1738, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Edward L. Glaeser & Bruce Sacerdote & Jose A. Scheinkman, 1995. "Crime and Social Interactions," NBER Working Papers 5026, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sharma, Manohar & Zeller, Manfred, 1999. "Placement and Outreach of Group-Based Credit Organizations: The Cases of ASA, BRAC, and PROSHIKA in Bangladesh," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 27(12), pages 2123-2136, December.
- Abigail Barr & Marcel Fafchamps & Trudy Owens, 2004. "The Resources and Governance of Non-Governmental Organizations in Uganda," CSAE Working Paper Series 2004-06, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Abigail Barr & Marcel Fafchamps & Trudy Owens, 2004. "The Resources and Governance of Non-Governmental Organizations in Uganda," Development and Comp Systems 0409047, EconWPA.
- Marcel Fafchamps & Trudy Owens, 2006. "Is International Funding Crowding Out Charitable Contributions in African NGOs?," Economics Series Working Papers GPRG-WPS-055, University of Oxford, Department of Economics. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)