Public Service Provision, User Fees, and Political Turmoil
Following an electoral dispute, the central highlands of the island of Madagascar were subjected to an economic blockade during the Þrst half of 2002. After the blockade ended in June 2002, user fees for health services and school fees were progressively eliminated. This paper examines the provision of schooling and health services to rural areas of Madagascar before, during, and after the blockade. We Þnd that public services were more resilient to the blockade than initially anticipated, but that health services were more affected than schools. The removal of user fees had a large significant effect on public services that is distinct from the end of the blockade and the increase in school book provision.
|Date of creation:||2003|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Manor Road, Oxford, OX1 3UQ|
Phone: +44-(0)1865 271084
Fax: +44-(0)1865 281447
Web page: http://www.csae.ox.ac.uk/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Harold Alderman & Peter F. Orazem & Elizabeth M. Paterno, 2001.
"School Quality, School Cost, and the Public/Private School Choices of Low-Income Households in Pakistan,"
Journal of Human Resources,
University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 36(2), pages 304-326.
- Alderman, Harold & Orazem, Peter & Paterno, Elizabeth M., 2001. "School Quality, School Cost, and the Public/Private School Choices of Low-Income Households in Pakistan," Staff General Research Papers Archive 1970, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Lisa Cameron, 2001.
"The Impact Of The Indonesian Financial Crisis On Children: An Analysis Using The 100 Villages Data,"
Bulletin of Indonesian Economic Studies,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(1), pages 43-64.
- Lisa A. Cameron, 2001. "The Impact of the Indonesian Financial Crisis on Children: An analysis using the 100 villages data," Papers inwopa01/10, Innocenti Working Papers.
- Menno Pradhan & Nicholas Prescott, 2002. "Social risk management options for medical care in Indonesia," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(5), pages 431-446.
- Deininger, Klaus, 2003. "Does cost of schooling affect enrollment by the poor? Universal primary education in Uganda," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 291-305, June.
- Glick, Peter & Sahn, David E., 2006. "The demand for primary schooling in Madagascar: Price, quality, and the choice between public and private providers," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 79(1), pages 118-145, February.
- Sahn, David & Bernier, Rene, 1995. "Have structural adjustments led to health sector reform in Africa?," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(1-3), pages 193-214.
- Elizabeth Frankenberg & James P. Smith & Duncan Thomas, 2003.
"Economic Shocks, Wealth, and Welfare,"
Journal of Human Resources,
University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 38(2).
- Marcel Fafchamps & Bart Minten, 2002.
"Crime and Poverty: Evidence From a Natural Experiment,"
CSAE Working Paper Series
2002-23, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Marcel Fafchamps & Bart Minten, 2004. "Crime and Poverty: Evidence from a Natural Experiment," Development and Comp Systems 0409025, EconWPA.
- Hanan G. Jacoby & Emmanuel Skoufias, 1997. "Risk, Financial Markets, and Human Capital in a Developing Country," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 64(3), pages 311-335.
- Glewwe, Paul & Hall, Gillette, 1998. "Are some groups more vulnerable to macroeconomic shocks than others? Hypothesis tests based on panel data from Peru," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 56(1), pages 181-206, June.
- repec:oxf:wpaper:wps/2002-23 is not listed on IDEAS
- Thomas, Duncan & Beegle, Kathleen & Frankenberg, Elizabeth & Sikoki, Bondan & Strauss, John & Teruel, Graciela, 2004. "Education in a crisis," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 74(1), pages 53-85, June.
- Cameron, Lisa A., 2002. "The impact of the Indonesian financial crisis on children : data from 100 villages survey," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2799, The World Bank.
- Behrman, Jere R & Knowles, James C, 1999. "Household Income and Child Schooling in Vietnam," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 13(2), pages 211-256, May.
- Gertler, Paul & Glewwe, Paul, 1990. "The willingness to pay for education in developing countries : Evidence from rural Peru," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 251-275, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:csa:wpaper:2003-15. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Richard Payne)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.