A Meta-Analysis Of Technical Efficiency In Nigerian Agriculture
This study sheds light on how study specific-characteristics impact mean technical efficiency (MTE) in Nigerian agriculture. Also the paper extracts consensus message about MTE and its drivers in Nigerian agriculture based on studies covering the period 1999-2008. A meta-analysis using truncated regression was employed on a total of sixty four studies which yield eighty six observations for the econometric analysis. The regression results show that MTE in Nigerian agriculture increased significantly over the years. Study specific-characteristics such as sample size, number of inputs used as well as studies with focus on crop and livestock production were found to significantly impact MTE. Further analyses show that studies in the Northcentral, Southwest, and Southsouth regions of the country produced higher MTE. Within the sample, seventy one observations contain quantitative results on sources of technical efficiency differences usually incorporating socio-economic variables. Based on this, fifty three percent identified educations as a significant determinant of technical efficiency while thirty eight percent showed that experience is important. Extension is shown to be an important determinant by twenty three percent of the observations while nineteen percent identified age as significant determinant of technical efficiency in Nigerian agriculture over the years.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.iaae-agecon.org/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sharada Weir, 1999.
"The effects of education on farmer productivity in rural Ethiopia,"
CSAE Working Paper Series
1999-07, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Sharada Weir, 1999. "The effects of education on farmer productivity in rural Ethiopia," Economics Series Working Papers WPS/1999-07, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Phillips, Joseph M, 1994. "Farmer Education and Farmer Efficiency: A Meta-Analysis," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 43(1), pages 149-65, October.
- Sharada Weir & John Knight, 2000.
"Education externalities in rural Ethiopia: evidence from average and stochastic frontier production functions,"
CSAE Working Paper Series
2000-04, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- John Knight & Sharada Weir, 2000. "Education Externalities in Rural Ethiopia: Evidence from Average and Stochastic Frontier Production Functions," Economics Series Working Papers WPS/2000-04, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- M. N. Asadullah & S. Rahman, 2009.
"Farm productivity and efficiency in rural Bangladesh: the role of education revisited,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(1), pages 17-33.
- Asadullah, M. Niaz & Rahman, Sanzidur, 2006. "Farm Productivity and Efficiency in Rural Bangladesh: The Role of Education Revisited," 2006 Annual Meeting, August 12-18, 2006, Queensland, Australia 25482, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- M Niaz Asadullah & Sanzidur Rahman, 2005. "Farm productivity and efficiency in rural Bangladesh:The role of education revisited," CSAE Working Paper Series 2005-10, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- M. Niaz Asadullah & Sanzidur Rahman, 2005. "Farm productivity and efficiency in rural Bangladesh: The role of education revisited," Economics Series Working Papers WPS/2005-10, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Thiam, Abdourahmane & Bravo-Ureta, Boris E. & Rivas, Teodoro E., 2001.
"Technical efficiency in developing country agriculture: a meta-analysis,"
Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists,
International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 25(2-3), September.
- Thiam, Abdourahmane & Bravo-Ureta, Boris E. & Rivas, Teodoro E., 2001. "Technical efficiency in developing country agriculture: a meta-analysis," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 25(2-3), pages 235-243, September.
- Brummer, B. & Glauben, T. & Lu, W., 2006.
"Policy reform and productivity change in Chinese agriculture: A distance function approach,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 81(1), pages 61-79, October.
- Glauben, Thomas & Lu, Wencong C. & Brümmer, Bernhard, 2003. "Policy Reform And Productivity Change In Chinese Agriculture: A Distance Function Approach," 2003 Annual Meeting, August 16-22, 2003, Durban, South Africa 25896, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Brümmer, Bernhard & Glauben, Thomas & Lu, Wencong C., 2002. "Policy Reform and Productivity Change in Chinese Agriculture: A Distance Function Approach," 2002 International Congress, August 28-31, 2002, Zaragoza, Spain 24779, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Sebastian Hess & Stephan von Cramon-Taubadel, 2008. "A Meta-Analysis of General and Partial Equilibrium Simulations of Trade Liberalisation under the Doha Development Agenda," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 31(6), pages 804-840, 06.
- I. Okike & M.A. Jabbar & V.M. Manyong & J.W. Smith & S.K. Ehui, 2004. "Factors Affecting Farm-specific Production Efficiency in the Savanna Zones of West Africa," Journal of African Economies, Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 13(1), pages 134-165, March.
- Bravo-Ureta, Boris & Solís, Daniel & Moreira, Victor & Maripani, José & Thiam, Abdourahmane & Rivas, Teodoro, 2005.
"Technical Efficiency in Farming: A Meta-regression analysis,"
Efficiency Series Papers
2005/01, University of Oviedo, Department of Economics, Oviedo Efficiency Group (OEG).
- Boris Bravo-Ureta & Daniel Solís & Víctor Moreira López & José Maripani & Abdourahmane Thiam & Teodoro Rivas, 2007. "Technical efficiency in farming: a meta-regression analysis," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 27(1), pages 57-72, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:iaae09:50327. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.