The Risk of Polygamy and Wives Saving Behavior
In a polygamous society, all monogamous women are potentially at risk of polygamy. However, both the anthropological and economic literatures are silent on the potential impact of the risk of polygamy on economic decisions of monogamous wives. We explore this issue for Senegal using individual panel data. We first estimate a Cox model for the probability of transition to polygamy. Second, we estimate the impact of the predicted risk of polygamy on monogamous wives' savings. We find a positive impact of the risk of polygamy on female savings entrusted to formal or informal institutions, suggestive of self-protective strategies. This increase in savings comes at the cost of reduced consumption, both in terms of household food expenditures and wives' private non-food expenses.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2015|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-01183453|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Philippe De Vreyer & Sylvie Lambert & Abla Safir & Momar Sylla, 2008.
"Pauvreté et Structure Familiale. Pourquoi une nouvelle enquête ?,"
- Philippe Devreyer & Abla Safir & Momar B. Sylla & Sylvie Lambert, 2008. "Pauvreté et Structure Familiale: Pourquoi une nouvelle enquête ?," Post-Print halshs-00824780, HAL.
- Libertad González & Berkay Özcan, 2013. "The Risk of Divorce and Household Saving Behavior," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 48(2), pages 404-434.
- Libertad González & Berkay Özcan, 2008. "The risk of divorce and household saving behavior," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 38463, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Gonzalez, Libertad & Özcan, Berkay, 2008. "The Risk of Divorce and Household Saving Behavior," IZA Discussion Papers 3726, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Libertad González Luna & Berkay Özcan, 2008. "The risk of divorce and household saving behavior," Economics Working Papers 1111, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Marie Boltz & Karine Marazyan & Paola Villar, 2016. "Income Hiding and Informal Redistribution: A Lab in the Field Experiment in Senegal," PSE Working Papers halshs-01157710, HAL.
- Marie Boltz & Karine Marazyan & Paola Villar, 2017. "Income Hiding and Informal Redistribution: A Lab-in-the-Field Experiment in Senegal," Working Papers 20170004, Université Paris 1 Panthéon Sorbonne, UMR Développement et Sociétés.
- Dauphin, Anyck & Fortin, Bernard, 2001. "A test of collective rationality for multi-person households," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 71(2), pages 211-216, May.
- Dauphin, A. & Fortin, B., 2000. "A Test of Collective Rationality for Multi-Person Households," Papers 0005, Laval - Recherche en Politique Economique.
- Dauphin, Anyck & Fortin, Bernard, 2000. "A Test of Collective Rationality for Multi-Person Households," Cahiers de recherche 0005, Université Laval - Département d'économique.
- Lambert, Sylvie & Ravallion, Martin & van de Walle, Dominique, 2014. "Intergenerational mobility and interpersonal inequality in an African economy," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 110(C), pages 327-344.
- Sylvie Lambert & Martin Ravallion & Dominique Van de Walle, 2014. "Intergenerational mobility and interpersonal inequality in an African economy," Post-Print halshs-01109225, HAL.
- Lambert, Sylvie & Ravallion, Martin & Van de Walle, Dominique, 2014. "Intergenerational Mobility and Interpersonal Inequality in an African Economy," CEPREMAP Working Papers (Docweb) 1401, CEPREMAP.
- Sylvie Lambert & Martin Ravallion & Dominique Van de Walle, 2014. "Intergenerational Mobility and Interpersonal Inequality in an African Economy," PSE - Labex "OSE-Ouvrir la Science Economique" halshs-00933975, HAL.
- Anyck Dauphin, 2013. "The Role of Polygyny in the Intrahousehold Efficiency of Agricultural Production in West Africa," Cahiers de recherche 1323, CIRPEE.
- Jacoby, Hanan G, 1995. "The Economics of Polygyny in Sub-Saharan Africa: Female Productivity and the Demand for Wives in Cote d'Ivoire," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 103(5), pages 938-971, October.
- repec:hal:wpaper:halshs-01157710 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:cai:popine:popu_p1995_50n1_0093 is not listed on IDEAS Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)