Which mechanisms support the fulfillment of sales agreements?: Asking decision-makers in firms
The paper proposes a methodology to obtain evidence on the relative importance of different mechanisms for supporting agreements. A survey question posed to company directors summarizes key aspects of mechanisms and asks for judgments on use. In contrast to existing approaches, the data covers the full complement of mechanisms and much economic activity, offering aggregate numerical judgments. The methodology is applied in Romania. Popular hypotheses are examined. Bilateralism is numerically dominant; the legal system is used extensively; third-party mechanisms are less important. These three mechanisms are non-complementary.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alan S. Blinder, 1994. "On Sticky Prices: Academic Theories Meet the Real World," NBER Chapters, in: Monetary Policy, pages 117-154 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fafchamps, Marcel, 1996. "The enforcement of commercial contracts in Ghana," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 427-448, March.
- Oliver E. Williamson, 2000. "The New Institutional Economics: Taking Stock, Looking Ahead," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 38(3), pages 595-613, September.
- Simon Johnson & John McMillan, 2002.
"Courts and Relational Contracts,"
Journal of Law, Economics and Organization,
Oxford University Press, vol. 18(1), pages 221-277, April.
- Arrighetti, Alessandro & Bachmann, Reinhard & Deakin, Simon, 1997. "Contract Law, Social Norms and Inter-firm Cooperation," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 21(2), pages 171-95, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ecolet:v:78:y:2003:i:1:p:49-54. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.