Buildings Market Institutions in South Eastern Europe : Comparative Prospects for Investment and Private Sector Development
This report studies impediments to investment and private sector development in Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, Moldova, Romania, and Serbia and Montenegro. It aims to yield fundamentally new insights for improving the region's business environment, economic development, and prospects for growth. It focuses on four core topics: 1) Business competition and economic barriers to entry and exit; 2) Access to regulated utilities and services; 3) Corporate ownership, transparency of business accounts, and access to finance; and 4) Mechanisms for commercial dispute resolution. Each topic is empirically investigated across all eight South Eastern European countries through the systematic use of data from multiple sources: Official data from each country in the region; results from two annual rounds of quantitative, firm-level surveys covering 1,600 firms; and results from 40 originally developed enterprise-level business case studies. The result is an innovative analysis of cross-country comparisons and the development of key policy challenges from a regional perspective. The report ends by making concrete recommendations for reforms that would ease the constraints on domestic and foreign investment, an essential step in sustaining growth and reducing poverty in the region.
|This book is provided by The World Bank in its series World Bank Publications with number 14947 and published in 2004.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1818 H Street, N.W., Washington, DC 20433|
Phone: (202) 477-1234
Web page: https://openknowledge.worldbank.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Frye, Timothy & Zhuravskaya, Ekaterina, 2000.
"Rackets, Regulation, and the Rule of Law,"
Journal of Law, Economics and Organization,
Oxford University Press, vol. 16(2), pages 478-502, October.
- Timothy Frye & Ekaterina Zhuravskaya, 2000. "Rackets, Regulation and the Rule of Law," Working Papers w0002, Center for Economic and Financial Research (CEFIR).
- Frye, Timothy & Zhuravskaya, Ekaterina, 2001. "Rackets, Regulation and the Rule of Law," CEPR Discussion Papers 2716, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Woodruff, Christopher, 1998. "Contract enforcement and trade liberalization in Mexico's footwear industry," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 26(6), pages 979-991, June.
- Abhijit V. Banerjee & Esther Duflo, 2000. "Reputation Effects and the Limits of Contracting: A Study of the Indian Software Industry," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 115(3), pages 989-1017.
- Messick, Richard E, 1999. "Judicial Reform and Economic Development: A Survey of the Issues," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 14(1), pages 117-136, February.
- Fafchamps, Marcel, 1996. "The enforcement of commercial contracts in Ghana," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 427-448, March.
- Hendley, Kathryn & Murrell, Peter, 2003. "Which mechanisms support the fulfillment of sales agreements?: Asking decision-makers in firms," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 78(1), pages 49-54, January.
- Kathryn Hendley & Peter Murrell, 2003. "Which mechanisms support the fulfillment of sales agreements? Asking decision-makers in firm," Electronic Working Papers 03-002, University of Maryland, Department of Economics.
- McMillan, John & Woodruff, Christopher, 1999. "Dispute Prevention without Courts in Vietnam," Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, Oxford University Press, vol. 15(3), pages 637-658, October.
- Clay, Karen, 1997. "Trade without Law: Private-Order Institutions in Mexican California," Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, Oxford University Press, vol. 13(1), pages 202-231, April. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)