On The Role Of Normative Influences In Commercial Virtual Communities
The potential to reconcile economic benefits to the firm with the social needs of customers has made commercial virtual communities a popular tool for companies to support their core products/service with a value-added service option. An important key to the success of such a virtual community is the behavior of its members. In this paper, we develop a framework of pro-social behavior (i.e., community citizenship behavior and contribution intentions) for understanding and explaining the motivation of virtual community members to actively participate in and care for the community. We show that the main determinants of pro-social behavior are the social norm of reciprocity and the personal norm of obligation. Reciprocity, in turn, is impacted by the value of the information and the socio-emotional support exchanged by the virtual community members.
|Date of creation:||2003|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O. Box 616, 6200 MD Maastricht|
Phone: +31 (0)43 38 83 830
Web page: http://www.maastrichtuniversity.nl/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jean-Marie Dufour & Lynda Khalaf, 2000.
"Exact Tests for Contemporaneous Correlation of Disturbances in Seemingly Unrelated Regressions,"
CIRANO Working Papers
- Dufour, Jean-Marie & Khalaf, Lynda, 2002. "Exact tests for contemporaneous correlation of disturbances in seemingly unrelated regressions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 106(1), pages 143-170, January.
- DUFOUR, Jean-Marie & KHALAF, Lynda, 2000. "Exact Tests for Contemporaneous Correlation of Disturbances in Seemingly Unrelated Regressions," Cahiers de recherche 2000-11, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Dufour, J.M. & Khalaf, L., 2000. "Exact Tests for Contemporaneous Correlation of Disturbances in Seemingly Unrelated Regressions," Cahiers de recherche 2000-11, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Breusch, T.S. & Pagan, A.R., .
"The Lagrange multiplier test and its applications to model specification in econometrics,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
412, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- T. S. Breusch & A. R. Pagan, 1980. "The Lagrange Multiplier Test and its Applications to Model Specification in Econometrics," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 47(1), pages 239-253.
- P. M. Bentler & Chih-Ping Chou, 1987. "Practical Issues in Structural Modeling," Sociological Methods & Research, SAGE Publishing, vol. 16(1), pages 78-117, August.
- Kozinets, Robert V., 1999. "E-tribalized marketing?: the strategic implications of virtual communities of consumption," European Management Journal, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 252-264, June.
- Fisher, Robert J & Ackerman, David, 1998. " The Effects of Recognition and Group Need on Volunteerism: A Social Norm Perspective," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 25(3), pages 262-275, December.
- Miniard, Paul W & Cohen, Joel B, 1983. " Modeling Personal and Normative Influences on Behavior," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 10(2), pages 169-180, September.
- Kontoghiorghes, E. J. & Clarke, M. R. B., 1995. "An alternative approach for the numerical solution of seemingly unrelated regression equations models," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 369-377, April.
- Kiesler, Sara & Sproull, Lee, 1992. "Group decision making and communication technology," Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 96-123, June.
- K. Jöreskog, 1971. "Statistical analysis of sets of congeneric tests," Psychometrika, Springer;The Psychometric Society, vol. 36(2), pages 109-133, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:unm:umamet:2003038. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Leonne Portz)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.