Indicators of Political and Economic Institutions in Tanzania: 1884 - 2008
This paper is part of series of studies focusing on the measurement and definition of institutions. This paper presents a database on institutional measures for Tanzania for the period 1884 to 2008. These indicators are used to assess the nature of political and economic institutional transformation from the colonial legacy to the modern outcome, using Tanzania as a natural experiment. The paper argues that despite changes in colonial regimes, the broader framework of institutions remained partly the same. This is reflected in the post-independence period in Tanzania, where the title of the president was substituting the governor titles in some land laws. Similarly, draconian laws similar to the colonial laws were enacted to curtail political freedom in the post-independence period.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 021 671-3980
Fax: +27 21 671 3912
Web page: http://www.econrsa.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Oded Galor & Omer Moav, 2006.
"Das Human-Kapital: A Theory of the Demise of the Class Structure,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 73(1), pages 85-117.
- Oded Galor & Omer Moav, 2004. "Das Human Kapital: A Theory of the Demise of the Class Structure," GE, Growth, Math methods 0410003, EconWPA.
- Paul Collier & Anke Hoeffler & Dominic Rohner, 2006.
"Beyond Greed and Grievance: Feasibility and Civil War,"
Economics Series Working Papers
WPS/2006-10, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Paul Collier & Anke Hoeffler & Dominic Rohner, 2009. "Beyond greed and grievance: feasibility and civil war," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 61(1), pages 1-27, January.
- Paul Collier & Anke Hoeffler & Dominic Rohner, 2006. "Beyond Greed and Grievance: Feasibility and Civil War," CSAE Working Paper Series 2006-10, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Michael Bleaney & Arcangelo Dimico, . "Ethnic Diversity and Local Conflicts," Discussion Papers 09/04, University of Nottingham, School of Economics.
- Robert Bates & Avner Greif & Smita Singh, 2002. "Organizing Violence," Journal of Conflict Resolution, Peace Science Society (International), vol. 46(5), pages 599-628, October.
- Ruhm, Christopher J., 2003.
"Healthy Living in Hard Times,"
IZA Discussion Papers
711, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Collier, Paul & Hoeffler, Anke & Soderbom, Mans, 2001.
"On the duration of civil war,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2681, The World Bank.
- Ehrlich, Isaac, 1973. "Participation in Illegitimate Activities: A Theoretical and Empirical Investigation," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 521-65, May-June.
- Richard B. Freeman, 1996.
"Why Do So Many Young American Men Commit Crimes and What Might We Do About It?,"
NBER Working Papers
5451, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Richard B. Freeman, 1996. "Why Do So Many Young American Men Commit Crimes and What Might We Do about It?," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 10(1), pages 25-42, Winter.
- Daron Acemoglu & James A. Robinson, 2001.
"A Theory of Political Transitions,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 91(4), pages 938-963, September.
- Acemoglu, Daron & Robinson, James A, 1999. "A Theory of Political Transitions," CEPR Discussion Papers 2277, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Daron Acemoglu & James Robinson, 1999. "A Theory of Political Transitions," Working papers 99-26, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Mark M. Spiegel, 1994. "Determinants of long-run labor productivity growth: a selective survey with some new empirical results," Working Papers in Applied Economic Theory 94-17, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Arellano, Manuel & Carrasco, Raquel, 2003.
"Binary choice panel data models with predetermined variables,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 115(1), pages 125-157, July.
- Arellano, M & Carrasco, R, 1996. "Binary Choice Panel Data Models with Predetermined Variables," Papers 9618, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Y Financieros-.
- Benhabib, Jess & Spiegel, Mark M., 1994. "The role of human capital in economic development evidence from aggregate cross-country data," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 143-173, October.
- François Bourguignon & Thierry Verdier, 2005.
"The Political Economy of Education and Development in an Open Economy,"
Review of International Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 13(3), pages 529-548, 08.
- François Bourguignon & Thierry Verdier, 2001. "The Political Economy of Education and Development in an Open Economy," DELTA Working Papers 2001-11, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Bourguignon, François & Verdier, Thierry, 2001. "The Political Economy of Education and Development in an Open Economy," CEPR Discussion Papers 3075, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Grossman, Herschel I & Iyigun, Murat F, 1997. "Population Increase and the End of Colonialism," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 64(255), pages 483-93, August.
- Collier, Paul & Hoeffler, Anke, 1998. "On Economic Causes of Civil War," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 50(4), pages 563-73, October.
- Johannes Fedderke & Chandana Kularatne, 2008. "Characterizing Conflict Forms," Working Papers 106, Economic Research Southern Africa.
- Herschel I. Grossman & Murat F. Iyigun, 1995. "The Profitability Of Colonial Investment," Economics and Politics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 7(3), pages 229-241, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rza:wpaper:231. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Charles Tanton)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.