On the Stratonovich – Kalman - Bucy filtering algorithm application for accurate characterization of financial time series with use of state-space model by central banks
The central banks introduce and implement the monetary and financial stabilities policies, going from the accurate estimations of national macro-financial indicators such as the Gross Domestic Product (GDP). Analyzing the dependence of the GDP on the time, the central banks accurately estimate the missing observations in the financial time series with the application of different interpolation models, based on the various filtering algorithms. The Stratonovich – Kalman – Bucy filtering algorithm in the state space interpolation model is used with the purpose to interpolate the real GDP by the US Federal Reserve and other central banks. We overviewed the Stratonovich – Kalman – Bucy filtering algorithm theory and its numerous applications. We describe the technique of the accurate characterization of the economic and financial time series with application of state space methods with the Stratonovich – Kalman - Bucy filtering algorithm, focusing on the estimation of Gross Domestic Product by the Swiss National Bank. Applying the integrative thinking principles, we developed the software program and performed the computer modeling, using the Stratonovich – Kalman – Bucy filtering algorithm for the accurate characterization of the Australian GDP, German GDP and the USA GDP in the frames of the state-space model in Matlab. We also used the Hodrick-Prescott filter to estimate the corresponding output gaps in Australia, Germany and the USA. We found that the Australia, Germany on one side and the USA on other side have the different business cycles. We believe that the central banks can use our special software program with the aim to greatly improve the national macroeconomic indicators forecast by making the accurate characterization of the financial time-series with the application of the state-space models, based on the Stratonovich – Kalman – Bucy filtering algorithm.
|Date of creation:||27 Sep 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dimitri O. Ledenyov & Viktor O. Ledenyov, 2012. "On the Risk Management with Application of Econophysics Analysis in Central Banks and Financial Institutions," Papers 1211.4108, arXiv.org.
- Carmen Broto & Esther Ruiz, 2002.
"Estimation Methods For Stochastic Volatility Models: A Survey,"
Statistics and Econometrics Working Papers
ws025414, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Estadística y Econometría.
- Carmen Broto & Esther Ruiz, 2004. "Estimation methods for stochastic volatility models: a survey," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 18(5), pages 613-649, December.
- Franziska Bignasca & Enzo Rossi, 2007. "Applying the Hirose-Kamada filter to Swiss data: Output gap and exchange rate pass-through estimates," Working Papers 2007-10, Swiss National Bank.
- Engle, Robert F. & Lilien, David M. & Watson, Mark, 1985. "A dymimic model of housing price determination," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 307-326, June.
- Timothy Cogley & Giorgio E. Primiceri & Thomas J. Sargent, 2008.
"Inflation-Gap Persistence in the U.S,"
NBER Working Papers
13749, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Durbin, J. & Koopman, S.J.M., 1998.
"Time Series Analysis of Non-Gaussian Observations Based on State Space Models from Both Classical and Bayesian Perspectives,"
1998-142, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- J. Durbin & S. J. Koopman, 2000. "Time series analysis of non-Gaussian observations based on state space models from both classical and Bayesian perspectives," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 62(1), pages 3-56.
- Ledenyov, Dimitri O. & Ledenyov, Viktor O., 2013. "Some thoughts on accurate characterization of stock market indexes trends in conditions of nonlinear capital flows during electronic trading at stock exchanges in global capital markets," MPRA Paper 49921, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Théoret, Raymond & Racicot, François-Éric, 2010.
"Forecasting stochastic Volatility using the Kalman filter: an application to Canadian Interest Rates and Price-Earnings Ratio,"
35911, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Francois-Éric Racicot & Raymond Théoret, 2011. "Forecasting stochastic Volatility using the Kalman filter: An Application to Canadian Interest Rates and Price-Earnings Ratio," RePAd Working Paper Series UQO-DSA-wp032011, Département des sciences administratives, UQO.
- Giorgio E. Primiceri, 2005. "Time Varying Structural Vector Autoregressions and Monetary Policy," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 72(3), pages 821-852.
- Dimitri O. Ledenyov & Viktor O. Ledenyov, 2013. "On the theory of firm in nonlinear dynamic financial and economic systems," Papers 1302.6721, arXiv.org, revised Mar 2013.
- Osman, Mohammad & Louis, Rosmy & Balli, Faruk, 2008. "Which Output Gap Measure Matters for the Arab Gulf Cooperation Council Countries (AGCC): The Overall GDP Output Gap or the Non-Oil Sector Output Gap?," MPRA Paper 11612, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Dimitri O. Ledenyov & Viktor O. Ledenyov, 2013. "On the accurate characterization of business cycles in nonlinear dynamic financial and economic systems," Papers 1304.4807, arXiv.org.
- Viktor O. Ledenyov & Dimitri O. Ledenyov, 2012. "Shaping the international financial system in century of globalization," Papers 1206.2022, arXiv.org.
- Dimitri O. Ledenyov & Viktor O. Ledenyov, 2013. "On the optimal allocation of assets in investment portfolio with application of modern portfolio and nonlinear dynamic chaos theories in investment, commercial and central banks," Papers 1301.4881, arXiv.org, revised Feb 2013.
- Viktor Winschel & Markus Kr‰tzig, 2010. "Solving, Estimating, and Selecting Nonlinear Dynamic Models Without the Curse of Dimensionality," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 78(2), pages 803-821, 03.
- Alesina, Alberto & Summers, Lawrence H, 1993. "Central Bank Independence and Macroeconomic Performance: Some Comparative Evidence," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 25(2), pages 151-62, May.
- Tommaso Proietti, 2008.
"Structural Time Series Models for Business Cycle Analysis,"
CEIS Research Paper
109, Tor Vergata University, CEIS, revised 10 Jul 2008.
- Proietti, Tommaso, 2008. "Structural Time Series Models for Business Cycle Analysis," MPRA Paper 6854, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Watson, Mark W. & Engle, Robert F., 1983. "Alternative algorithms for the estimation of dynamic factor, mimic and varying coefficient regression models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 385-400, December.
- Dramani, Latif & Laye, Oumy, 2007. "Estimation of the Equilibrium Interest Rate: Case of CFA zone," MPRA Paper 3610, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Fernandez, Roque B, 1981.
"A Methodological Note on the Estimation of Time Series,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 63(3), pages 471-76, August.
- Tom Doan, . "CHOWLIN: RATS procedure to distribute a series to a higher frequency using related series," Statistical Software Components RTS00036, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Tom Doan, . "DISAGGREGATE: RATS procedure to implement general disaggregation (interpolation/distribution) procedure," Statistical Software Components RTS00050, Boston College Department of Economics.
- James C. Morley & Charles Nelson & Eric Zivot, 2000.
"Why Are Beveridge-Nelson and Unobserved-Component Decompositions of GDP So Different?,"
0013, University of Washington, Department of Economics.
- James Morley & Charles Nelson & Eric Zivot, 2002. "Why Are Beveridge-Nelson and Unobserved-Component Decompositions of GDP So Different?," Working Papers UWEC-2002-01, University of Washington, Department of Economics.
- Charles Nelson & Eric Zivot, 2000. "Why are Beveridge-Nelson and Unobserved-Component Decompositions of GDP so Different?," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0692, Econometric Society.
- James Morley & Charles Nelson & Eric Zivot, 2003. "Why are Beveridge-Nelson and Unobserved-component decompositions of GDP so Different?," Working Papers UWEC-2002-18-P, University of Washington, Department of Economics.
- James C. Morley & Charles Nelson & Eric Zivot, 2000. "Why Are Beveridge-Nelson and Unobserved-Component Decompositions of GDP So Different?," Discussion Papers in Economics at the University of Washington 0013, Department of Economics at the University of Washington.
- Gonzalez-Astudillo, Manuel, 2009. "An Equilibrium Model of the Term Structure of Interest Rates: Recursive Preferences at Play," MPRA Paper 19153, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jungbacker, B. & Koopman, S.J. & van der Wel, M., 2011. "Maximum likelihood estimation for dynamic factor models with missing data," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 35(8), pages 1358-1368, August.
- Juan F. Rubio-Ramirez & Jesus Fernández-Villaverde, 2005.
"Estimating dynamic equilibrium economies: linear versus nonlinear likelihood,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 20(7), pages 891-910.
- Jesús Fernández-Villaverde & Juan Francisco Rubio-Ramírez, 2004. "Estimating dynamic equilibrium economies: linear versus nonlinear likelihood," Working Paper 2004-3, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Jesus Fernandez-Villaverde & Juan F. Rubio-Ramirez, 2004. "Estimating Dynamic Equilibrium Economies: Linear versus Nonlinear Likelihood," PIER Working Paper Archive 04-005, Penn Institute for Economic Research, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania.
- Nicolas A. Cuche & Martin K. Hess, 1999. "Estimating Monthly GDP In A General Kalman Filter Framework: Evidence From Switzerland," Working Papers 99.02, Swiss National Bank, Study Center Gerzensee.
- Frank Smets & Raf Wouters, 2003.
"An Estimated Dynamic Stochastic General Equilibrium Model of the Euro Area,"
Journal of the European Economic Association,
MIT Press, vol. 1(5), pages 1123-1175, 09.
- Frank Smets & Raf Wouters, 2002. "An estimated dynamic stochastic general equilibrium model of the euro area," Working Paper Research 35, National Bank of Belgium.
- Doran, Howard E, 1992. "Constraining Kalman Filter and Smoothing Estimates to Satisfy Time-Varying Restrictions," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 74(3), pages 568-72, August.
- Alessandra Luati & Tommaso Proietti, 2010.
"Hyper-spherical and elliptical stochastic cycles,"
Journal of Time Series Analysis,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 31(3), pages 169-181, 05.
- Qian, Hang, 2012. "A Flexible State Space Model and its Applications," MPRA Paper 38455, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Sargent, Thomas J, 1989. "Two Models of Measurements and the Investment Accelerator," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 97(2), pages 251-87, April.
- Dimitri O. Ledenyov & Viktor O. Ledenyov, 2012. "On the new central bank strategy toward monetary and financial instabilities management in finances: Econophysical analysis of nonlinear dynamical financial systems," Papers 1211.1897, arXiv.org.
- Martin Møller Andreasen, 2008. "Non-linear DSGE Models, The Central Difference Kalman Filter, and The Mean Shifted Particle Filter," CREATES Research Papers 2008-33, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Pasricha, Gurnain Kaur, 2006. "Kalman Filter and its Economic Applications," MPRA Paper 22734, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ozbek, Levent & Ozlale, Umit, 2005.
"Employing the extended Kalman filter in measuring the output gap,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 29(9), pages 1611-1622, September.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate Ozbek and Ozlale state space model with time-varying coefficients," Statistical Software Components RTZ00128, Boston College Department of Economics.
- S. Illeris & G. Akehurst, 2001. "Introduction," The Service Industries Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 21(1), pages 1-4, January.
- Clark, Peter K, 1987. "The Cyclical Component of U.S. Economic Activity," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 102(4), pages 797-814, November.
- Juan Marcelo, Ochoa, 2006.
"An Interpretation of An Affine Term Structure Model for Chile,"
1072, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- J.Marcelo Ochoa, 2006. "An interpretation of an affine term structure model of Chile," Estudios de Economia, University of Chile, Department of Economics, vol. 33(2 Year 20), pages 155-184, December.
- Cecilia Frale & Massimiliano Marcellino & Gian Luigi Mazzi & Tommaso Proietti, 2011. "EUROMIND: a monthly indicator of the euro area economic conditions," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series A, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 174(2), pages 439-470, 04.
- Ledenyov, Dimitri O. & Ledenyov, Viktor O., 2013. "To the problem of evaluation of market risk of global equity index portfolio in global capital markets," MPRA Paper 47708, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 20 Jun 2013.
- Watson, Mark W., 1986. "Univariate detrending methods with stochastic trends," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 49-75, July.
- Milton Friedman, 1962. "Introduction to "The Interpolation of Time Series by Related Series"," NBER Chapters, in: The Interpolation of Time Series by Related Series, pages 1-3 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Roncalli, Thierry & Weisang, Guillaume, 2011.
"Tracking Problems, Hedge Fund Replication, and Alternative Beta,"
Journal of Financial Transformation,
Capco Institute, vol. 31, pages 19-29.
- Roncalli, Thierry & Weisang, Guillaume, 2008. "Tracking problems, hedge fund replication and alternative beta," MPRA Paper 37358, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Geweke, John F & Singleton, Kenneth J, 1981. "Maximum Likelihood "Confirmatory" Factor Analysis of Economic Time Series," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 22(1), pages 37-54, February.
- Mapa, Dennis S & Sandoval, Monica Flerida B & Yap, David Joseph Emmanuel B, 2009. "Investigating the Presence of Regional Economic Growth Convergence in the Philippines using Kalman Filter," MPRA Paper 20681, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Tommaso Proietti, 2006. "Trend-Cycle Decompositions with Correlated Components," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 25(1), pages 61-84.
- J. Durbin, 2002. "A simple and efficient simulation smoother for state space time series analysis," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 89(3), pages 603-616, August.
- de Jong, Piet & Penzer, Jeremy, 2004. "The ARMA model in state space form," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 70(1), pages 119-125, October.
- Milton Friedman, 1962. "The Interpolation of Time Series by Related Series," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number frie62-1, October.
- Robert B. Litterman, 1983.
"A random walk, Markov model for the distribution of time series,"
84, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Litterman, Robert B, 1983. "A Random Walk, Markov Model for the Distribution of Time Series," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 1(2), pages 169-73, April.
- Mohsen Bahmani-Oskooee & Ford Brown, 2004. "Kalman filter approach to estimate the demand for international reserves," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(15), pages 1655-1668.
- Viktor O. Ledenyov & Dimitri O. Ledenyov, 2012. "Designing the new architecture of international financial system in era of great changes by globalization," Papers 1206.2778, arXiv.org.
- Dimitri O. Ledenyov & Viktor O. Ledenyov, 2013. "To the problem of turbulence in quantitative easing transmission channels and transactions network channels at quantitative easing policy implementation by central banks," Papers 1305.5656, arXiv.org, revised May 2013.
- Paschke, Raphael & Prokopczuk, Marcel, 2007. "Integrating Multiple Commodities in a Model of Stochastic Price Dynamics," MPRA Paper 5412, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Fischer, Stanley, 1977. "Long-Term Contracts, Rational Expectations, and the Optimal Money Supply Rule," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 85(1), pages 191-205, February.
- Francisco Venegas & Enrique de Alba, 1995. "An Economist´s guide to the Kalman filter," Estudios Económicos, El Colegio de México, Centro de Estudios Económicos, vol. 10(2), pages 123-145.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:50235. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.